Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> mini filters., anyone tried them?
opera guy
post Jul 13 2004, 11:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,268

i saw the post on cold air intake, but didnt want to hi-jack the thread..

i noticed that the "aftermarket" one that someone linked had only three outlets see pic. i think there are 4 outlets on my stock airbox, which means i'll have to use one of them mini air filters on one of the places. anyway, has anyone tried these? (see pic) they're about thumb size, look bigger in pic. i've come across these during my ricing-out-my-honda-accord days, i know i know, some of us actually graduate to "better" cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
opera guy
post Jul 13 2004, 11:05 AM
Post #2

here's the mini filters

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rog914
post Jul 13 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #3

914 Fanatic

Member No.: 93

I bought one, save your money & make your own much cheaper & better. It's just a 2" PVC elbow, air cleaner & a rubber joint clamp. When I installed it, the top of the air cleaner hit the bottom of the rain tray & could'nt close the engine lid. Had to buy a 45 degree elbow to add & point the air cleaner forward & down slightly to just barely get the engine lid closed (the PVC elbow hits the rain tray barely now). The 4th "inlet" is in front of the air cleaner, you can't see it in the pic.

Ralph

74 2.0
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 13 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #4

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I had a couple stock rubber joints from the original 1.7 air cleaner. Cut one down & it fit quite nicely. The air cleaner was pointed down in my application also. Had to drill enough holes in it for the vacuum hoses then use the stock metal hose inserts but it works just fine!

.............b
+Quote Post
opera guy
post Jul 13 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Rog914 @ Jul 13 2004, 09:58 AM)
I bought one, save your money & make your own much cheaper & better. It's just a 2" PVC elbow, air cleaner & a rubber joint clamp. When I installed it, the top of the air cleaner hit the bottom of the rain tray & could'nt close the engine lid. Had to buy a 45 degree elbow to add & point the air cleaner forward & down slightly to just barely get the engine lid closed (the PVC elbow hits the rain tray barely now). The 4th "inlet" is in front of the air cleaner, you can't see it in the pic.

Ralph

74 2.0

yes, thats exactly what i intend to do, make my own. but i dont want to clutter up the intake tube with "inlets" or "outlets" (cept one for the big ass filter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)) and get rid of all those hoses that connects to the main intake pipe, instead, use those mini filters. clear as mud? (degree is in music, not written communication (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jul 13 2004, 02:02 PM
Post #6

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

It's not just a matter of putting a mini filter on each hose.

See what happens when you remove some of the hoses while the engine is running. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

They need the vacuum of the running motor.

The K&N intake is actually quite clean and simple.
All of the hoses push right on with no mods.

KT
+Quote Post
opera guy
post Jul 13 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #7

i must be missing something. for example, the hose from the airbox to the fan shroud, thats not a vacuum, is it? its getting FILTERED air from the box, thats why i was thinking of those mini filters.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jul 13 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #8

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

yeah, but most of those lines aren't just getting air to breath, they're pulling a little vacuum created by the intake (and probably lots of other stuff i don't understand).

do as trekkor suggested -- pull each line and see how it runs. if no effect, then sure -- put a mini filter on it.
+Quote Post
opera guy
post Jul 13 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 13 2004, 03:52 PM)
yeah, but most of those lines aren't just getting air to breath, they're pulling a little vacuum created by the intake (and probably lots of other stuff i don't understand).

great, thats what i needed to know. thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jul 13 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #10

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I'd suggest the K&N intake highly.

I just put one on. Feels like a little more power to me.
I would expect the overall all air flow to be higher and the air temp to be cooler.

Here's why:
Stock tin can has a tiny snorkel opening. K&N is virtually unrestricted.

Tin can gets hot and stays hot as it is made of steel and in a hot enviovironment, thus pre-heating the intake air.

K&N is not.

Plus it sounds better as the induction is louder! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

IMO of course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Oranjebooms again.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 08:32 AM