Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BMW brake conversion ?'s
ottox914
post Jul 13 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #1

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Here's whats up. I've got the BMW brakes up front, adjustable proportioning valve in the middle, and moved the stock 914 front brakes to the back. Pagid orange pads all around. To make the front 914 brakes center on the rotors in the back, I had to use longer bolts, and add about a 1/4" stack of washers.

Here's the problem. The back end squeeks. I think it may even wake the dead. Its that bad. I swapped in my prior (front) pads back to the rear, porterfields. The squeek was still there, just as bad. That caliper and pad package did not make a peep up front. Took the Pagids out and used the grinder to radius the leading edge, added CRC brake pad stuff to the back of the pads, still squeeks. So I think its got to have something to do with the mounting of the calipers. Oh, same discs are still installed, F and R.

Anyone else do this conversion? Problems? Success!?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Jul 13 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 391

I would bet the squeel is from the vibration of the caliper due to being mounted with the washers. If you try to wiggle the caliper really hard I'll bet it can shake some and this is what the problem is. If you need a wide spacer as you noted, then I'd try to get one machined with tight tolerances for the through bolts and that prevents any motion at all. Good luck.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 06:18 AM