Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Removing ignition (steering) lock, Any gotchas?
campbellcj
post Jan 14 2003, 01:05 AM
Post #1

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Gotta do it fairly soon. It's actually not required AFAIK by my local track groups, but seems like a damn good idea and also removes another minor inconvenience (the locked steering) when pushing the car around or working on the front end.

Is it really obvious once you pull the steering column stuff apart -- which I've done once before -- or any gotchas/tricks involved?

I will probably replace the ignition switch and key while I'm in there. The keys I got from the PO are in pathetic shape. The original black key has like no teeth...looks more like 90 years old than 30 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 14 2003, 01:50 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

No gotcha's.

I physically pull the whole assembly apart and remove the "pin" that is the lock.

There is a small flat blade set screw that helps hold the plastic contact plates in place at the base of the ignition assembly. Make sure you have a small flat blade handy (in the car with you) and I mean small.. like fix glasses small. You will need the key in it to remove anything.

You will see that the setup is two parts. One part is the actual lock tumbler and the other is the electrical contacts (these are at the very base of the whole setup) The "pin" is in between the tumbler section and the electrical section.

B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 14 2003, 12:21 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I've heard of people (mostly 911 folks, LOL!) who have just let the steering lock, and then grabbed the wheel and turned it anyway. That breaks the pin quite effectively, evidently...

I think I'd be a bit worried about the broken-off bit coming loose, though.

--DD
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 14 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #4

I can't Re Member

Thanks guys - I have done the ignition switch (electrical+key) procedure before, but I left the column lock alone. This time I will do the same thing but ditch the steering lock...maybe I will even ditch the turn signal cancel too. Anything that could potentially jam up the steering.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 14 2003, 04:51 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I remove the cancel and trim the "staulks" back on the windshield wiper arms and the turn signal arm. Make them nubs so you can stilll use them. They are aluminum. Cut them and file them smooth. This keeps your hands (with gloves on them) from hitting them while racing.

B
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 14 2003, 05:19 PM
Post #6

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 14 2003, 02:51 PM)
I remove the cancel and trim the "staulks" back on the windshield wiper arms and the turn signal arm. Make them nubs so you can stilll use them. They are aluminum. Cut them and file them smooth. This keeps your hands (with gloves on them) from hitting them while racing.

B

I already cut the wiper stalk...that was a great idea (you told me about it a while back).

The (Nardi/Personal) steering wheel hub I've got is spaced-out nicely. Have not had any issues with banging stuff accidentally, like I did before with the Momo hub.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:27 AM