Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vacuum advance.., supposed to hold a vacuum, right?
bondo
post Jul 14 2004, 01:03 PM
Post #1

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

On my 1.7, if I disconnect the advance side of the vacuum advance, and pull a vacuum on it, the idle increases... but over about 2 seconds, the vacuum leaks away and the idle slows down again. That's bad, right? Anyone know if the 1.8 vac advance is the same? I'm trying to chase down an abnormally slow idle.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 14 2004, 01:23 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Yes. Sounds like you have a pinhole leak in your vacuum canister. Unfortunately, I don't know if these are still available new. You might have to hunt for a non-leaky used part.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jul 14 2004, 02:35 PM
Post #3

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

Doubtful that this is causing any problem except for a very slight (as in unnoticible) deterioration in acceleration. A very small leak will not affect it much. Later d-jet cars had the vacuum advance completely disconnected. Of course, no leak is better, but if you are looking for a solution to a problem you are having - keep looking. This isn't it. If your idle speed is low: 1. check timing. 2. increase speed using idle speed bleed screw.

Demick
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Jul 14 2004, 03:13 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 805

Demick is right, a leaky vac advance isn't going to affect your idle. At idle on the D-Jet 1.7's and 2.0's, with the throttle closed the vacuum retard port is exposed to manifold vacuum and the timing is retarded, for improved emissions. When at part-load with low throttle angles, the vacuum advance port is exposed to some degree of manifold vacuum, and the timing is advanced. The operation of the advance mechanism is dominant over the retard (i.e. if both ports are exposed to vac, the advance port controls the timing response). The reason for the timing advance at part load is that due to the fairly high manifold vacuum, the cylinder charge is of low density, and the flame front takes longer to propagate across it, hence, the need for advanced timing. Primary benefits are slightly better throttle response and lower emissions.
+Quote Post
bperry
post Jul 14 2004, 08:52 PM
Post #5

Lurker

Member No.: 1,661

If you are really wanting to replace your VAC advance there
is new one for sale on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...bayphotohosting
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 02:59 PM