Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Distributer Exploded, Have you seen this before? And do you have a spare?
Millerwelds
post Sep 7 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Pleepleus

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,206
Region Association: Northern California

2.0 Djet. I changed out the plate due to a disconnected ground about a year ago and cleaned and lubed everything at that time. It has worked fine since then, til yesterday. Went to start the car and it did not sound right. Then no spark. Fiddled with a few things to make sure the wiring on the coil did not rattle loose etc, tried again and the distributer rotated 180 degrees and exposed this fancy new hole.

Attached Image (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
Attached Image

Towed it home and dismantled the distributer this morning to find the following.

Attached Image
Attached Image

It had been wearing away for a while based on the metal shavings. The shavings are not brass / bronze from the normal wear of the rotor /cap.

Attached Image

Notice the wear on the FI trigger points plate too

Attached Image

Part numbers for reference

Attached Image

Here is a picture of the car for good measure. She looks real good (sitting in the garage!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 7 2011, 02:49 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Damn, interesting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Sep 7 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

Try Rich at HPH in Redwood City:

http://www.highperformancehouse.com/
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Sep 7 2011, 05:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,499

Damn! Looks like it threw a rod!
Can't say I've ever seen that before.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 7 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #5

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Sep 7 2011, 04:07 PM) *

Damn! Looks like it threw a rod!
Can't say I've ever seen that before.

A weight came adrift. Either the spring was broken for a while, the pivot pin broke, or the hole in the weight wore through. The weight then jammed between moving parts and the housing. Bang. It's likely the problem was impending for some time.

I've seen it before.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 7 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #6

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have as well, it didnt hit hard enough to blow out the side but smacked hard enough to bulge the case with visible fractures on the outside.
Mine was caused by a spring going awol.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Sep 7 2011, 07:32 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have one. Here it is. Let me know if it will work for you:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i171.photobucket.com-8357-1315445575.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i171.photobucket.com-8357-1315445575.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Sep 7 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #8

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Jup,

Bosch distributors do that. Blew one in my 1973 Superbeetle. Spring went and the weight slung out through the side.

Got a new one for $25 back then.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Sep 7 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #9

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 7 2011, 05:53 PM) *

I have as well, it didnt hit hard enough to blow out the side but smacked hard enough to bulge the case with visible fractures on the outside.
Mine was caused by a spring going awol.

Yeah, that happened to me when I had a Bumblebee in the 80s. I ended up transplanting all my parts into a VW bus dizzy case. Worked fine, but I probably got called a DAPO by somebody down the line.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
green71
post Sep 7 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,435

My car did the same thing -- shot the piece clean through the side of the distributor housing -- but not before it stove up the distributor altogether . . . which stopped the distributor drive shaft, which is driven by a BRASS gear on the crankshaft (or camshaft, don't recall for sure). The brass gear lost the fight, and I wound up with brass chunks and shavings in my engine case and a good reason to do an engine rebuild. You should try to get a look at that gear to see if it suffered any damage; you wouldn't want that stuff sloshing around in your engine.

Mark
+Quote Post
Millerwelds
post Sep 8 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #11

Pleepleus

QUOTE(green71 @ Sep 7 2011, 09:41 PM) *

My car did the same thing -- shot the piece clean through the side of the distributor housing -- but not before it stove up the distributor altogether . . . which stopped the distributor drive shaft, which is driven by a BRASS gear on the crankshaft (or camshaft, don't recall for sure). The brass gear lost the fight, and I wound up with brass chunks and shavings in my engine case and a good reason to do an engine rebuild. You should try to get a look at that gear to see if it suffered any damage; you wouldn't want that stuff sloshing around in your engine.

Mark

Mark, Thanks for bringing this point up. I had not thought that far ahead. SO this morning I pulled the gear and sure enough, more carnage.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Sleepin's offer of a replacment unit sold before I got to it so I am still looking. Does anyone have any experience with the rebuilt ones by Cardone?
Valy has one from a 73 that I am considering also.

I now also need a new drive gear. Are there any differences I need to be aware on on the drive gears throughout model years / bus cases?

The plan is to pull as much of the brass filings out the top of the hole first, then drain the oil, pull the screen and flush some kind of solvent (recomendations?) down through the distributer hole to flush any remaining pieces out. I will use a filter to catch what I can so I can hopefully see how much I am able to remove vs what came off the drive gear to compare.

Cap'n was right on as usual. In this case the hole in the weight wore through and out it went. Also, the pictures of the distributer hole were not taken by Andy, the iphone isn't so great up close.
+Quote Post
cwpeden
post Sep 8 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #12

Great White North, huh?

Member No.: 6,693
Region Association: Canada

Actually the bottom 1/4 of your drive is ok. That just how they look. Cant remember why though, i think it was clearance for the case or thrust washer or something.

Attached Image

Now I gotta go take something apart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Sep 8 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #13

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

Looks like you might owe Mark a beer. It would appear that you are going to need to split your case to replace the drive gear. All those brass shavings are what is left of it. However, if you had just replaced the dizzy and fired it up, it would be much worse (you gotta look on the bright side). Great looking car, btw.
+Quote Post
green71
post Sep 8 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,435

bigkensteele is right about splitting the case. The brass drive gear is tatered now after its run-in with the steel drive shaft. Even if you could flush the chunks & shavings out of the engine, the two gears might not engage in a trustworthy manner. Judging from how my drive gear looked when I removed it, the poor fit between the gears would lead to more brass shavings over a prolonged period, meaning you might have to replace a bunch of parts instead of just one.

Stiff upper lip! This is an opportunity. Go kick its butt.

Mark
+Quote Post
Millerwelds
post Sep 9 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #15

Pleepleus

QUOTE(green71 @ Sep 8 2011, 10:41 PM) *

bigkensteele is right about splitting the case. The brass drive gear is tatered now after its run-in with the steel drive shaft. Even if you could flush the chunks & shavings out of the engine, the two gears might not engage in a trustworthy manner. Judging from how my drive gear looked when I removed it, the poor fit between the gears would lead to more brass shavings over a prolonged period, meaning you might have to replace a bunch of parts instead of just one.

Mark

I was under the impression that the drive gear on the distributer side was brass while the gear on the cam was steel. After cleaning up the distributer drive gear I now see that it is steel and shows almost no wear. Which means the trashed gear is the one on the cam. Fuch! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I guess I will be splitting the case. I am tremendously glad to have had everyone's help in figuring that out before really screwing things up.

It has been 20 years since I rebuilt a type 1 so I will have a lot of questions.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Sep 9 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 11,573

QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Sep 9 2011, 08:26 AM) *

I guess I will be splitting the case. I am tremendously glad to have had everyone's help in figuring that out before really screwing things up.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Make sure you open a thread.
+Quote Post
Thestigz06
post Sep 13 2011, 01:04 AM
Post #17

Aspiring Jarhead

Member No.: 12,749

QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Sep 7 2011, 01:37 PM) *

2.0 Djet. I changed out the plate due to a disconnected ground about a year ago and cleaned and lubed everything at that time. It has worked fine since then, til yesterday. Went to start the car and it did not sound right. Then no spark. Fiddled with a few things to make sure the wiring on the coil did not rattle loose etc, tried again and the distributer rotated 180 degrees and exposed this fancy new hole.

Attached Image (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
Attached Image

Towed it home and dismantled the distributer this morning to find the following.

Attached Image
Attached Image

It had been wearing away for a while based on the metal shavings. The shavings are not brass / bronze from the normal wear of the rotor /cap.

Attached Image

Notice the wear on the FI trigger points plate too

Attached Image

Part numbers for reference

Attached Image

Here is a picture of the car for good measure. She looks real good (sitting in the garage!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

Totally random but could you tell me the tire size you're running?
+Quote Post
Millerwelds
post Sep 13 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #18

Pleepleus

[/quote]
[/quote]

205-55-16 on Superlight 16x7 wheels. Very close to stock circumference so speedometer is still accurate. They fit the stock body but I rolled the lip on the rear fenders just to be safe. Car is lowered some as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 13 2011, 08:56 AM
Post #19

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Sep 9 2011, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(green71 @ Sep 8 2011, 10:41 PM) *

Mark

I was under the impression that the drive gear on the distributer side was brass while the gear on the cam was steel. After cleaning up the distributer drive gear I now see that it is steel and shows almost no wear. Which means the trashed gear is the one on the cam. Fuch! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

It has been 20 years since I rebuilt a type 1 so I will have a lot of questions.

Its actually driven off the crankshaft.
Its not super hard to get this done.
Hunt down a good use distributor drive gear so you have it ready and after you crack the case, bring the crankshaft to the machine shop for polishing.
Part of the process is to remove the drive gears and main bearing on the end of the crank so it will mount up in the machine.

Bottom line, the machine shop can do this for you when the time comes.

If you want to, you can easily remove all the pieces with one gear splitter and a small mapp gas torch....

You will need a new gasket kit.
New main bearings
New rod bearings
New front and rear main seal.
New distributor gear for the crank.

One long weekend you can pull the motor and split the case to get the crank out.
Then get it to a shop to get polished.
You spend your nights cleaning out that case and cleaning up all the parts.

Then the following weekend, bolt it back together....

It does not need to turn into a 6 month restoration project...and its really not a huge deal to do this if you stay focused.

With these new motors and rubber bands that drive the camshafts, IC my son doing a new head job on at least one car per month...and that is a major piece of work.

They get in, get out and move on as quickly as possible.
Every head he does has bent valves, cracks...lots of damage.
Its why machine shops exist.

Just put your head down, dont dream big, and fix what got broken so you can enjoy the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Whatever you do, dont start thinking about more power.

Rich
+Quote Post
Thestigz06
post Sep 13 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #20

Aspiring Jarhead

Member No.: 12,749

[quote name='Millerwelds' date='Sep 13 2011, 07:00 AM' post='1538538']
[/quote]
[/quote]

205-55-16 on Superlight 16x7 wheels. Very close to stock circumference so speedometer is still accurate. They fit the stock body but I rolled the lip on the rear fenders just to be safe. Car is lowered some as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
[/quote]
Well done! I haven't seen superlights on and non-flared car before....i think im in love!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:56 PM