Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Psyched, another track day, Wednesday, Willow big track
campbellcj
post Jan 14 2003, 01:14 AM
Post #1

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

http://www.opentrackracing.com

Never driven with these guys before, but I've heard good things. $125 for 2.5 hours of track time is hard to beat. You "have to" miss work though (weekday events). I usually work at home Wednesdays anyway, so this time my...phone, yeah that's it...terrible phone problems. I was there working all day, honest. Oh, you tried to call? Hmmm.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Anyways, I got the fuel tank venting and seat moving issues fixed, and a few other trivialities from the last event.

Haven't gotten my new "Design by Ya-Roon" numbers made up yet, but not really necessary for this event. Next time.

This is really just a test/tuning day for fun, but I'm anxious to see how the car does on the faster track. At Streets of Willow I only see a few seconds of 4th gear in this car and nowhere near top speed, probably 90-ish. Wednesday we will see top speed or very close to it, in the turn 7-8 section and the end of the front straight. Should be interesting. I most likely will be by-far the lowest powered, and maybe oldest, car out there with this group. Race prepped 996's, Vipers, Vettes, NSX's etc will probably be there.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jan 14 2003, 01:19 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

is that 2.5 hrs of you running all you want, or do you have to wait your "turn"?

there are some serious cars on that site! should be very interesting to hear your stories.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 14 2003, 01:24 AM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

No, IIRC there are 3 run groups, 30 minute sessions, rotating throughout the day. There is an optional cup race at the end of the day for the red (fast) group.

I am in the "slow" group, which should be anything but slow.

Most of the website pics are obviously the pretty hardcore guys, but there supposedly is a good sized newbie/street car/drivers ed contingent too.

I might have a chance against that Celica on the web site, LOL
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jan 14 2003, 01:27 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4

you can probably take this guy, B says ferrari's are junk, maybe it will fall apart mid lap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
post Jan 14 2003, 01:37 AM
Post #5

Group:
Member No.: 0

the Ferrari owner, I know that guy,well sorta....

I talked to him all weekend at the POC event up at Thunderhill back in July. His trailer is just beautiful. air conditioned, 3 car trailer, with satelite and like 20 compartments and still room for a fridge and tires.

The Ferrari is a 360GT car. Faster than a 360 challenge, but slow enough to run with the GT3R's at Lemans. He owns that 996TT in the background and also has a RUF 996, custom built. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) :cursor:
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 14 2003, 01:39 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I'm going to assume that one is a ProDrive built Ferrari (ALMS GTS car) ProDrive gets them and guts them of everything Ferrari except the engine and trans.. then they go through that.

Be careful who you run with Chris. We have some serious shitty groups up here that we all stear clear of.

Ask Tony.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 14 2003, 01:42 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

ha ha.. keep going in the pics. The Ferrari ended up WRECKED..LOL

Chris..that group appears to be mostly POC guy's from your area.

I recognize more than 3/4 of the cars.

B
+Quote Post
Tony C
post Jan 14 2003, 10:14 AM
Post #8

Master of Fire and Metal

Member No.: 25

The 360GT cars are made by Ferrari for ALMS or FIA racing, you don't see them much in ALMS because they are not quite fast enough. One of them however won the Grand-am championship, beating the Racer's Group this year. The 550 Marenello's are the ones made be Prodrive and are wickedly fast and are in no-way a Ferrari except for the engine and main tub.

Chris, that group is OK, I wouldn't be supprised if you come back and tell us kill stories about what $100K+ cars you wre faster than. At most of these events it's 80% driver and 20% car. I can reguarly kill 996tt and 360's with my MOM"S stock Boxster S. It is frustrating down the straights however if you have an asshole driver. In those cercumstances I tiell them they are number one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

-Tony
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 15 2003, 08:09 PM
Post #9

I can't Re Member

Damn, I love this car.

Had a great day playing with (mostly) high-powered American Iron out at Willow. I ran in the "blue" run group, the middle one. (The red group was mostly 400+HP cars, and they didn't invite my little VW to play.)

There were quite a few "offs" and several cars suffered damage. No car-to-car impacts, but certain areas at Willow do not have friendly runoff. One Z06 Vette got its front lower bodywork chewed up, enough to need a flatbed home. One Viper bent up his suspension. A Mitsubishitti BROKE a front brake rotor into pieces. (NO idea how he did that.) And the really classic one, a guy in a RENTAL Mustang un-beaded 2 tires. Peeled 'em clear off the rim. I dunno if he was 20PSI down on pressure, or what.

I am really, really happy so far with how my car is coming together. Tony C was right - I was able to hang about in the middle of the middle run group. I passed quite a few people including 4.6L Mustang GT's and 1.8T Audi TT Quattros. I hung pretty well with the ITS RX-7 (with an incredibly obnoxious rotory exhaust sound). And I had the absolutely lowest HP car at the event. The only thing close power-wise was probably the MINI Cooper S, and a couple of the rice cars, but most of them were in yellow group.

Only problem, so to speak, is that we haven't gotten around to the front oil cooler on my car yet...so it wanted to cook itself. They ran 30 minute sessions, and I typically came off between the 15 and 25 minute mark. The cooler will get done within the next couple weeks. More suspension tuning (bump steer, play with rear springs etc) and Hoosiers will come soon too.

The other bummer is that I haven't had the time/money to get a HotLap timer yet, so I have no clue about lap times. It "felt" pretty decent though. From turn 1 thru 5 or 6, I suspect I was quicker than a whole lot of people. Of course from 7 thru 9 and up the front straight, I'm barely pulling 120-125mph pedal-to-the-metal, so definitely no threat to the big V8 cars.

PICS -- oh yeah, can't forget that. They are still uploading, which will take a while, but will be here:

http://www.nosubstitute.org/events/OTR15Jan03
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Jan 15 2003, 09:01 PM
Post #10

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks Chris
Great pics. looks like you had great weather. good luck on future runs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Bernbomb914
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jan 15 2003, 09:31 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Hey Chris,

Serious case of track-envy here... haven't been on a track for over a year

Was that yellow "prototype" one of those hyabusa engined cars?

Cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 15 2003, 09:35 PM
Post #12

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jan 15 2003, 07:31 PM)
Was that yellow "prototype" one of those hyabusa engined cars?

Nobody seemed too sure what exactly that car is. I think I heard "Formula 2000" or "Spec 2000" (an SCCA class?)

It was very impressive, whatever it is. Really moved. They had a pro or near-pro driver behind the wheel and were shooting some kind of video piece.
+Quote Post
Tony C
post Jan 15 2003, 09:58 PM
Post #13

Master of Fire and Metal

Jeroen, Yes that is one of the Radical cars, owned by Mark Dalen, just an average "club racer". That one has the hyabusa engine and runs SCCA CSR and is VERY uncompetitive.

Chris,Glad you had fun, I knew you would do better than you thought.

-Tony
+Quote Post
bhfast
post Jan 15 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #14

live it loud, balls out

Member No.: 48
Region Association: Southwest Region

it's from a company called radical motorsport in the UK. and yes they are motorcycle engines by suzuki, either 1100 or 1300cc.radical motorsport they have anywhere from 130-250hp at about 1100lbs
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jan 15 2003, 10:07 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

thought it was a radical, just wasn't sure
thanks

jeroen
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 15 2003, 10:10 PM
Post #16

I can't Re Member

OK, that makes sense. I heard them talking about "Radical" and the trailer did say Mark Dalen.

I wonder if the car is uncompetitive, or Mark...he wasn't driving it today.

I betcha they were shooting a promo piece (i.e. infomercial) for the car mfr.
+Quote Post
Tony C
post Jan 15 2003, 10:15 PM
Post #17

Master of Fire and Metal

For it's class the car is VERY uncompetitive. A competitive SCCA CSR car is a carbon tub atlantic of F3 car with sports racer body work, has 300+ hp, and weighs about 1100-1200lbs. A Radical has 180hp, tube frame, and weighs 1300+ lbs.

I am sure Mark was driving as that's him in the driving suit atleast. The car is very fast in comparrison to a modified street car, but a real CSR car is 5+ seconds a lap faster!

-Tony
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 15 2003, 10:21 PM
Post #18

I can't Re Member

Very interesting stuff. I am SO not up to speed on SCCA / spec-racer stuff. Whatever I can catch on Speed Channel is about it.

The older guy bent over the car in that pic, I assume is Mark. There was a younger blonde dude doing most of the driving and video shots today. Must've been the hired gun.
+Quote Post
Tony C
post Jan 15 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #19

Master of Fire and Metal

Interesting! Yes Mark is the one in the blue suit. I have no clue who the other guy is. Yes SCCA requires a lot of useless knowledge. Going to the Runoff's and every National race west of the rockies over the past three years keeps one well informed!

-Tony
+Quote Post
post Jan 15 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #20

Group:
Member No.: 0

damn, you got me all excited about going to a track day next saturday. MUST finish the 914 and find some 15" race tires! Probably gonna have to resort to the CRX... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) front wheel drive push mobile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:20 AM