Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Psyched, another track day, Wednesday, Willow big track
campbellcj
post Jan 15 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #21

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

L8Apex, I'm still "undecided" on how much I like these Kumho Ecsta V700's, but one positive factor is they are readily available and relatively cheap. About $110/ea new, full tread, I think. Mine have survived several hours of pretty aggressive track time so far, plus driving to-from events and the shop (I NEED a trailer), and are not gone yet.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jan 15 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #22

Group:
Member No.: 0

yeah, I actually do have a set of V700's on some wheels that will only fit my CRX. I used them once at thunderhill and a few autox's. I'm thinking of getting them for the 914 also, or transfer them over for the track day. hehe. They are a bit on the heavy side though. I like them because they don't overheat in the summer unlike the Victoracers. sucks to have 1 flat hoosier (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 15 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #23

I can't Re Member

What kind of pressures do the Ecsta V700's like in your experience? I typically ran the Victoracers and Hoosiers around 40psi hot, but I have heard all kinds of conflicting advice. Today the car felt very squirmy at about 29 cold/34-36 hot so I bumped them up about 4psi and it felt a lot better. Less squirm and sidewall deflection. But I didn't have the time, energy or knowledge to really optimize things.
+Quote Post
post Jan 16 2003, 02:05 AM
Post #24

Group:

at the track, I usually do about 32-35 cold, depending on the outcoming conditions. usually comes off at about ~40 ish hot, + or -. I think that was the most optimal my car felt. For AutoX, I just pump them up to about 35 no matter what. and take out a few if the car feels funny. But this is on my CRX, front drive, maybe a bit different, but I believe it would be a good starting point. I don't know a lot of people even running these tires at the track that much, so I don't get much feedback on them.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 16 2003, 04:46 AM
Post #25

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Well great.....we're all over the map on pressure for the V racers. Last time out (AX), I ran 26 & 28 cold (f-r) and they felt the bestest yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

With the camber I was running, that may have been best.
Dunno what it's gonna be like with 2.5 neg, tho....Prolly start out a bit higher? I may actually have to check temps........WAGs are more fun.
+Quote Post
post Jan 16 2003, 05:43 AM
Post #26

Group:

JP, the victoracers are a different compound than the ECSTA V700's. I believe they are softer and heat up much quicker for autox use. i think people run about what you are running for pressures for those tires.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 16 2003, 09:32 AM
Post #27

I can't Re Member

I wasn't as anal about it as I maybe should've been, but I checked tire temps twice. The Ecstas were heating pretty evenly across the tread, which I guess means the camber is OK for them. (This is only with ~ -1.5). The temps were consistent front-to-back on each side of the car, with the "outside" (left, clockwise track) being hotter.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 16 2003, 09:33 AM
Post #28

I can't Re Member

By the way, what the he!! are you guys doing up so late/early, surfing this board at 3am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jan 16 2003, 09:36 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

well... what the heck are you doing here at that ungodly time!

for me, it's 16.40 in the afternoon, so I'm just waisting work-hours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 16 2003, 09:46 AM
Post #30

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Chris,

I just wanted to add my CONGRATS... on a successful outing.

I really appreciate the pictures and write ups... helps motivate me to get back to my projects so that I can play too....

brant
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 16 2003, 11:36 AM
Post #31

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

L8, re "FWD push-mobile"--

Don't worry, you can still get a CRX to spin. Seen it quite a few times. In the "esses" at Sears Point, actually. The guy I was crewing for just didn't know how to take turn 9 (I think it was 9; 9 is the left-hander and 10 is the right-hander just before pit-in, right?) and looped it four out of ten laps his first time out there in that same spot. Yipe!! Didn't collect anyone, though--he was very careful about letting everyone else get through before he got to that part of the track. Happily, someone clued him in about how to take the turn before his second run group.

Heh, I even got my CRX into a lovely four-wheel drift on the way to work this AM! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
post Jan 16 2003, 11:57 AM
Post #32

Group:

Dave, well, yeah, the car can be loose at times... hehe. About the spin at sears, you must be talking about Tyson? red ITA CRX with like 900lbs springs at the rear.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 16 2003, 11:59 AM
Post #33

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Ah, you know Tyson! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Yup, that was his first-ever day at SP, and I was crewing for him.

--DD
+Quote Post
post Jan 16 2003, 12:18 PM
Post #34

Group:

hehe,yeah, I know Tyson. I saw his car and was teasing him about it. "Vandals! Damn Vandals!" Then he saw me stuff the 914 into the tires at Laguna a few months later. I told him, "vandals! I just went to go take a dump, and when I come back, they steal my radio and beat up the car!"

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) Blown out hoosiers.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 16 2003, 01:51 PM
Post #35

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I get home from wurk at midnight.
That's my story & I'm stickin' to it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:00 PM