Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which engine?, i want to make a conversion
mxdude914
post Jul 15 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 925

What are some good porsche brand engine options to put in a 914. Im kind of on a tight budget so i want one that wouldnt be to expensive.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jul 15 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #2

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

porsche

engine

tight budget

wouldn't be too expensive

major contradiction of terms.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 15 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #3

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

"tight budget" and "Porsche"?

Any six will cost $3000-$10,000 to swap, depending on what you choose, how much work you do yourself, and how lucky you are in finding an engine that isn't a complete pile of poo and requires a rebuild. I don't know if anyone has successfully swapped in a 944 engine, but being the first is always more expensive. The 928 engine has been done, and I'll bet it cost a pretty penny. Nice result, though.

If you want a cheap, more powerful engine, and can live with something that didn't come with a Porsche badge on it orginally, the Subaru fours are quite inexpensive and even the non-turbo models are in the 150hp range. Many of the turbos are over 200hp. This swap is more in the $1000-$3000 range.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Jul 15 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 538

Define tight budget. $ 5,000? $10,000? $15,000? Pretty much the cheapest engine you can go with is the stock engine that is in your 914. I believe Grassroots Motorsports rebuilt their 2.0 and it was in the $3000 to $5000 range. Unfortunately anything that starts with the letter "P" and ends with letters "orshe" isn't going to be cheap. Hate to break it to you.....
+Quote Post
mxdude914
post Jul 15 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #5

thnks for the help i think im gunna look into the subaru motor. Is it a tough conversion?
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jul 15 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #6

Member Emeritus

EJ20T probably $1k on the JDM

+ another $2-3K to make it all work. bring your fabrication skills.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 15 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #7

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Ummmm, buy one that is running....put it away until you can afford it.....
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Jul 16 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #8

So a non Porsche brand engine is an option? Many different combinations have been done. There is a member here named Fiid who is in the middle of a subaru engine conversion. He has a thread detailing his progress somewhere here. Chevy V8's are another common swap.

I'm doing a three rotor twin turbo rotary engine swap into my 914. So far I have put the following into the conversion:

Mazda 20B Engine: $2600
Adapter Plate: $ 500
Clutch Kit & Pressure Plate: $700
Haltech E11 Engine Management: $ 1500
Renegade Hybrids Radiator: $ 1000

Total: $6300 US

And I still have to get drive axles, a fuel system, intercooler, oil cooler, engine mounts and gauges before the car is ready to run. I'm sure my conversion is not the cheapest out there but I also know that it is not the most expensive either.

Andrew is doing a 350 swap on a budget. Even with his project and skills at getting items cheaply (plus doing his own work) I would not be surprised to hear that he ends up in the $2000 to $3000 ballpark. I can't imagine anyone doing it for less.
+Quote Post
mxdude914
post Jul 16 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #9

even if it was to expensive what is a good way to get some extra hp out my 2.0 ive got about 2500 to spend
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jul 16 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #10

Member Emeritus

You need to double that $2500 to get an engine that makes real power. If you have a good running 2.0 right now, invest that money into the suspension. you'll go faster with the same power.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Jul 16 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #11

Turbo? Oh wait......I forgot.....you can't turbo a 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
mxdude914
post Jul 16 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #12

the po and my father have already put about 2 grand in suspension i want more power now. And since im new to upgrades on a 914 why cant you turbo one
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 16 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #13

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

There just funnin ya about the Turbo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) It's an inside joke. People say it all the time. Kind of a contest to see who can say it first after the turbo word comes up. You'll get used to it. No conversion is cheap. Once you get a budget let us know and we'll help you spend your money... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) BTW, Welcome to the club (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien.gif)
+Quote Post
mxdude914
post Jul 16 2004, 12:51 AM
Post #14

well right now i have about 2450 and its all goin into the 914 and id really like more power but id consider other things to do to the car. any suggestions??
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 16 2004, 05:06 AM
Post #15

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

what, EXACTLY, is it you are trying to accomplish ? i get the feeling you know what you want to hear in this thread and you're just waiting for someone else to say it ...

specifically - what is the fixation with power ? a 914 will never be a really successful dragstrip car. if you're looking to win the stoplight Grand Prix on your town's Main Street, you need to go buy a Camaro or something..

if you REALLY wanted to go fast, you would not be asking about power. or suspension mods, for that matter. if you REALLY wanted to be fast, you'd be asking what's the best track driving school, and you'd be spending the $2500 at Skip Barber or Bob Bondurant or Derek Daly.

$2500 is a decent budget for a really good cornerweight and competition alignment, a set of durable performance tires like Toyo RA-1 or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, and an entry fee and travel budget to every track event in your area -- and a bit left over for maintenance items like regular oil and filter changes and valve adjustments.

make your car consistent and reliable and learn how to drive it. i promise you'll pick up FAR more time learning to drive what you've got than just adding another 50 HP.

or trade in your 914 on a HemiCuda and use the $2500 to buy a couple of tankfulls of 100LL Avgas.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jul 16 2004, 06:48 AM
Post #16

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481

Start taking dead weight off of your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
If you get rid of 300 lbs. it will feel like you added 50+ hp.
+Quote Post
davep
post Jul 16 2004, 08:56 AM
Post #17

914 Historian

Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Like Rich says, the best investment is in the driver, and next is in road contact. A $2500 budget would not really cover a stock engine rebuild. For a type 4 engine talk to Jake Raby. You also have to consider any rules you may have to play by. For example, look at the thread for the "newest PCA member". Using a Porsche engine of some type allows you to play with PCA. In other venues, there may be some limitations you will have to abide by so do some research on your playground of choice. FWIW, a relatively original 914 will be a bit of a rarity in the future, so I would consider long term value of the finished car as well.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jul 16 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #18

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

That's right. Power doesn't matter. It's all about the driver. That's why all the top drivers have their engines de-tuned for less power - it makes them faster and makes the car much more fun too! (we need a smiley holding a big "BS" sign)

I agree that driving skill and development is critical, and power is NOT a substitute for this, HOWEVER, from a performance standpoint a stock engined 914-4 is underpowered. If the car has moderate to extensive chassis/suspension improvements it's even MORE underpowered. You need the whole package.

A stock 914-4, depending on year and engine, has between a 24:1 and 34:1 power to weight ratio. For comparison, a Miata has an 18:1 power to weight ratio. I'm sorry, but if you are content with a 34:1 power to weight ratio in a sports-car then you and I are not cut from the same cloth.

-Ben M.
34:1 and craving some pow-a

ps - don't forget that he's got a couple grand into chassis improvements that make the engine feel all the more anemic.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 16 2004, 12:07 PM
Post #19

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(airsix @ Jul 16 2004, 10:02 AM)
...from a performance standpoint a stock engined 914-4 is underpowered. ... You need the whole package.

sure - i agree.

now - how much power are you going to buy for $2500, and what do you buy, exactly ?
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jul 16 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #20

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 16 2004, 10:07 AM)
now - how much power are you going to buy for $2500, and what do you buy, exactly ?

Very good point. A N/A 944, or a sh*tbox 928? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I joke, but it might not be a bad idea. A $2,500 928 might be a fun car actually (not a conversion - the car its self). Dang, now I got myslef (not a typo) thinkin again. Gotta shake it off and get back to work... (no offense to your post Rich, I was just feeling contrary)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 09:16 PM