Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clutch Cable, Broke over the white roller ?
jim_hoyland
post Sep 20 2011, 02:44 PM
Post #1

Get that VIN ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Any particular reason the clutch cable would unravel at the top of the roller ? Should the roller spin freely when reasembled ?

A few pics of what I'm looking at... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Sep 20 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

Cause thats where it makes a U-turn. Yes, the roller should be free. 914 rubber makes new delrin ones.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 20 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Yep, that's where the most load is on the cable.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Sep 20 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #4

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

.....Defective cable(clutch) & yes it should roll with freedom! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
type47fan
post Sep 20 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #5

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170

QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 20 2011, 01:48 PM) *

Cause thats where it makes a U-turn. Yes, the roller should be free. 914 rubber makes new delrin ones.

Metal fatigue . . . .
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 20 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

I bought my 914 in 1975. Within 2 years after that, my clutch cable failed at the cable pulley. I thought that keeping it clean would prevent a build-up of grime, which would abrade the cable and pulley. After that failure, with a new cable in place, I coated the pulley, cable and mounting point with a liberal application of white grease. Every year or two, I clean the old grease off, run a few pipe cleaners around the pulley groove and slather the assembly with another coat of white grease. I have not had a cable failure since 1977.

Paul
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Sep 20 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #7

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

You can go to Fatzer Cable and download Guidelines for Rope Maintenance. It is for ski lift cables but the same holds true for smaller cables.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 20 2011, 08:40 PM
Post #8

Get that VIN ?

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 20 2011, 06:41 PM) *

I bought my 914 in 1975. Within 2 years after that, my clutch cable failed at the cable pulley. I thought that keeping it clean would prevent a build-up of grime, which would abrade the cable and pulley. After that failure, with a new cable in place, I coated the pulley, cable and mounting point with a liberal application of white grease. Every year or two, I clean the old grease off, run a few pipe cleaners around the pulley groove and slather the assembly with another coat of white grease. I have not had a cable failure since 1977.

Paul

Great suggestion ! And easy enought to do. Went to the Fatzer Cable web site and it backs up what you stated. Thanks to both Pauls for the heads up.

Wish there was a little more room in the forward inspection hole to grab that Clevis pin... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 20 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #9

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Jim - Unless you set it aside before snapping the pic, it looks like you're missing the metal sleeve the goes in between the roller and the stud in the console (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I bought one of those '914 Rubber.com' Delrin rollers from Glenn Sager at the most recent All Porsche Swap Meet ... it's nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 21 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #10

Get that VIN ?

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 20 2011, 09:51 PM) *

Jim - Unless you set it aside before snapping the pic, it looks like you're missing the metal sleeve the goes in between the roller and the stud in the console (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I bought one of those '914 Rubber.com' Delrin rollers from Glenn Sager at the most recent All Porsche Swap Meet ... it's nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Thanks Mark, I had the bushing set aside at the time of the pic. Upon closer inspection of the wire where it partially broke and unraveled; it appears that there was a serious amount of grit between the wires and around the roller. Seems like the assembly would benefit from being enclosed in a rubber boot of some type.

Went over and looked at another 914's roller this am and found serious build up of oily dirt. This is definately a part to regulary inspect and clean.

+Quote Post
rohar
post Sep 21 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,685

Yup, good diagnosis and suggestions by all. I'd like to point out that braided brake lines can suffer the same end although slower. Bunch of wires all braided up catching dirt. Check them regularly.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Sep 21 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #12

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

I just replaced my clutch cable after seeing the frayed bits sticking out at the roller. When I took it off, it was actually WORSE at the end just inside the housing. The cable bits broke at the friction point where the housing ends in a metal circle and were lumped up inside the housing, out of sight completely.
So, if you see any cable fray at all it is worth a closer look or quick replacement. I went with the Terry Cable version. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 21 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #13

Get that VIN ?

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Sep 21 2011, 12:58 PM) *

I just replaced my clutch cable after seeing the frayed bits sticking out at the roller. When I took it off, it was actually WORSE at the end just inside the housing. The cable bits broke at the friction point where the housing ends in a metal circle and were lumped up inside the housing, out of sight completely.
So, if you see any cable fray at all it is worth a closer look or quick replacement. I went with the Terry Cable version. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Exactly same place where mine frayed and broke. Did you find foreign material in the wire too ?

Seems like a boot could really protect this area----anyone seen one ?
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Sep 21 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 21 2011, 07:11 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 20 2011, 09:51 PM) *

Thanks Mark, I had the bushing set aside at the time of the pic. Upon closer inspection of the wire where it partially broke and unraveled; it appears that there was a serious amount of grit between the wires and around the roller. Seems like the assembly would benefit from being enclosed in a rubber boot of some type.

Went over and looked at another 914's roller this am and found serious build up of oily dirt. This is definately a part to regulary inspect and clean.

Maybe you should try cleaning that car once in awhile. Sheesh!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Sep 22 2011, 02:14 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 21 2011, 04:40 PM) *

Originally there was a boot that goes on the end of the clutch cable where it mounts to the pulley bracket. It is seals the cable to the housing to keep dirt from inside the cable housing. A PITA to get over the threaded end of the cable.

Jim
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 22 2011, 08:28 AM
Post #16

Get that VIN ?

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 22 2011, 01:14 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 21 2011, 04:40 PM) *

Originally there was a boot that goes on the end of the clutch cable where it mounts to the pulley bracket. It is seals the cable to the housing to keep dirt from inside the cable housing. A PITA to get over the threaded end of the cable.

Jim

Anyone have a picture ?
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Sep 22 2011, 01:36 PM
Post #17

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

[/quote]
Did you find foreign material in the wire too ?
[/quote]
Yes, but then again, my entire 914 is composed of foreign material.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
I need das boot! Show us the proof. I could use an upgrade over the zip-tie on there now. The zip tie holds the cable onto the metal mount due to my "extreme" driving! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 22 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

[quote name='ChrisNPDrider' date='Sep 22 2011, 11:36 AM' post='1542795']
[/quote]
Did you find foreign material in the wire too ?
[/quote]
Yes, but then again, my entire 914 is composed of foreign material.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
I need das boot! Show us the proof. [/quote]

Is this the boot to which you are referring? If it is, it will hardly protect/lubricate the cable that is routed around the white pulley. BTW, ignore the lack of white grease in this photo. Rest assured, there IS grease smothering that area now.

Paul

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 23 2011, 07:17 AM
Post #19

Get that VIN ?

Is this the boot to which you are referring? If it is, it will hardly protect/lubricate the cable that is routed around the white pulley. BTW, ignore the lack of white grease in this photo. Rest assured, there IS grease smothering that area now.

Paul

No, I was thinking of a boot that would cover the entire assembly; from what I can tell, none was made. But, one could be made....

The http://www.fatzer.com/contento/enUS/Home/D...US/Default.aspx web site has some good tips on lubricating wire rope.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 23 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #20

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

In addition to a boot (bellows) being a good idea, while I was helping Kapt Kaos inspect and reinstall a clutch cable last Tuesday evening, I noticed that he had a retaining ring that secures the cable sheath to the pulley housing (a washer with a tab sticking out on one side that bends into the hole on the side of the housing). I had never seen one of those before.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 06:03 AM