Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Apollo Racer Build Thread, EZ36 Build-Up with ITB's!
rnellums
post Apr 29 2014, 07:41 PM
Post #121

Professional Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I also got an OBX exhaust in today. It's SS, and I'll probably end up cutting it after the flex joints and going straight into supertraps instead of all the way to the collector. what about cutting it before the flex joints? Thoughts?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 30 2014, 08:33 AM
Post #122

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Ross, would you mind adding another pic like the first one but with a ruler next to it. I'm interested in the distance between the top of the flange and the bottom and top of the pipe once it goes horizontal. IOW, I want to see how close to the ground the bottom of the exhaust would be on my car. We have different cradles so I need to measure to see if theirs would work for me. BTW, how much ground clearance did you end up with? TIA, Kent

EDIT: Never mind on the clearance. I went back one page and read your comment on this. I ended up w/ 5" as I believe Chris' was, too. This is what the distance from the old cooling flap to ground clearance was, also. Have you adjusted your shock perches, yet?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post May 1 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #123

Professional Enthusiast

I have attached the pic with a measure. These headers are pretty tall. If I go ahead and use them what is currently about 4.5' ground clearance will be reduced to 3". I checked ride height compared to my stock -4 and the two car are pretty similar (although the race car is much stiffer).

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 1 2014, 08:46 AM
Post #124

Ross, that looks to be about 6" from the top of the flange to the bottom of the pipe, yes?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post May 1 2014, 09:28 AM
Post #125

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 1 2014, 08:46 AM) *

Ross, that looks to be about 6" from the top of the flange to the bottom of the pipe, yes?

Really its nearly 7, I plan on ovaling the bottom of the pipe a bit to get more clearance.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 1 2014, 09:50 AM
Post #126

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) I wonder if they will sell the flange w/ the oval to round piece that has the O2 bung welded in. That would help me a lot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I want to go over the cradle with my exhaust for ground clearance and ease of removal when dropping the drivetrain. I think I could make those work if sold separately. High Jack over and out.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post May 1 2014, 09:57 AM
Post #127

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 1 2014, 09:50 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) I wonder if they will sell the flange w/ the oval to round piece that has the O2 bung welded in. That would help me a lot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I want to go over the cradle with my exhaust for ground clearance and ease of removal when dropping the drivetrain. I think I could make those work if sold separately. High Jack over and out.

To be honest that's why I ordered the exhaust in the first place. I figured there would be some customization. I'd like to run the exhaust over my subframe, but am a bit worried about driveshaft interference.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 1 2014, 10:19 AM
Post #128

I don't think that will be an issue but I haven't seen one of Ian's cradles either. FWIW, they make exhaust fittings in 45, 90, 180 and even 360 degree (full circle). I want to use a 2.5" dia 360 degree cut it to give me two 165 degree fittings which will bring me up and over my cradle as well as a bit towards the outside.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post May 1 2014, 09:52 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Made some more of these up. 2.5" tubing . These turned out to be 4" high from the base of the flange to the bottom of the tube. Going to use these on my turbo install.
Its no trouble to weld O2 sensor bungs into the pipes.
Attached Image

Bob
+Quote Post
rnellums
post May 7 2014, 09:27 PM
Post #130

Professional Enthusiast

So I have seen in a couple places that the intake on the EZ30 can't be flipped, which makes it a pain since the intake then rests right next to the trunk firewall, but this image seems to say differently. And anyone here tried flipping it? I gather there might be some casting lugs that need to be ground off, and the alternator will need to be relocated, but any other reasons?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 8 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #131

QUOTE(rnellums @ May 7 2014, 08:27 PM) *

So I have seen in a couple places that the intake on the EZ30 can't be flipped, which makes it a pain since the intake then rests right next to the trunk firewall, but this image seems to say differently. And anyone here tried flipping it? I gather there might be some casting lugs that need to be ground off, and the alternator will need to be relocated, but any other reasons?

Isn't yours a "D" model? I don't think that is a D in the pic.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post May 8 2014, 10:21 AM
Post #132

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 8 2014, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ May 7 2014, 08:27 PM) *

Isn't yours a "D" model? I don't think that is a D in the pic.

Yes, Pictured is an "R", but the ports are similar enough. I'm thinking It may be possible to flip the Aluminum manifold as well. It may just require grinding down the extraneous casting on the aluminum manifold at top right.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 8 2014, 11:39 AM
Post #133

I decided against it for some reason that I can't recall, now. Either it was not worth the effort of I saw something that said no-way. It's hard to cut on a nice body but once you do the next cuts are easy. It should not protrude into the rear trunk too far. Maybe 3"? Maybe BIGKAT 83 will chime in.
+Quote Post
Porscharu73
post May 19 2014, 11:48 PM
Post #134

Member No.: 15,281
Region Association: None

This was done with a eg33 also by Brody from 914s gone wild with a clean cut Attached Image

Here's my set up with the ez30r with it flipped same guy who is helping me build mine built the eg33
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 4 2014, 08:59 AM
Post #135

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Hey Ross, I figured you went to shit and the Hogs gotcha! Then I read where you are polishing Calypso for the show. When are you going to get back on your conversion? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jun 4 2014, 09:39 AM
Post #136

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 4 2014, 08:59 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Hey Ross, I figured you went to shit and the Hogs gotcha! Then I read where you are polishing Calypso for the show. When are you going to get back on your conversion? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I've been working, just not photographing! I've built up the fan shroud and radiator mount and completed running the fuel lines (using the same bent hardline technique you used). The fuel pump and tank are totally in now, and all I need to do to finish up the coolant system is to bend up some aluminum tube (which I already have) in the locations where the rubber hose is kinking!

I'll see if I can snap some photos tonight and get them up!

+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jun 18 2014, 07:59 PM
Post #137

Professional Enthusiast

About time for an update. I am finally starting the final wiring process. I hooked it up and turned it over just powering the starter last night. Then I hooked up the fuel pump and I can't seem to build pressure, I suspect due to a leak at the sketchy pickup I cobbled together. I've new parts for that en route, but decided to take some spare time and make note of the ECU pin-outs.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jun 18 2014, 09:28 PM
Post #138

Professional Enthusiast

Here is my intended engine wiring circuit for power distribution!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jun 19 2014, 07:09 AM
Post #139

Professional Enthusiast

A couple of photos of my cooling setup. I made up an aluminum shroud that sits directly under the radiator, and have bolted the high flow SPAL fan to the other side, so I'm afraid you can't see much.

I know the cons of venting through the floor, and would prefer to vent into the wheel arches, but I already had a hole there from the PO, so I'll use it for now.

The radiator is a clean Volvo unit. I think out of the 240's. Its small, but thicker than stock. Hopefully The fan is able to pull enough air!

The coolant hoses will both return under the gas tank and then be routed back through the longs. I have more robust elbows coming for the tight bends so it won't kink as ween in the last photo and rubber edge protector for everywhere i basses through bulkhead.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 19 2014, 08:10 AM
Post #140

You have been working! FWIW, flaps have these small spring thingies that slip over the hose and will keep it from kinking. Or, use old pieces of wet vac hose which will also guard against abrasion.
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 11:00 AM