Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Apollo Racer Build Thread, EZ36 Build-Up with ITB's!
rnellums
post Jul 2 2014, 08:22 AM
Post #161

Professional Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 2 2014, 08:17 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Any idea's on ground clearance? Did you modify the length of the down piece off the header flange? SS welding is not in my skill set. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

It won't be much. Maybe 3"... I pounded the puppies flat where they passed by my subframe,but other than that no mods. I hadn't welded SS before last night. I used my mig with some stainless wire and some co2-ar mix gas. It welded much like normal steel, but burn through was faster. I can't vouch for the weld strength, but this part isn't structural anyways.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 2 2014, 08:23 AM
Post #162

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 1 2014, 10:49 PM) *

those are very cool..
can't wait to hear it in person

loving this thread

Let me know when you want to come check it out Brant!
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 2 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #163

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 2 2014, 08:23 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 1 2014, 10:49 PM) *

those are very cool..
can't wait to hear it in person

loving this thread

Let me know when you want to come check it out Brant!

when ever is good for you
I want a ride someday too
are you wrenching this weekend?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 2 2014, 08:32 AM
Post #164

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 2 2014, 07:22 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 2 2014, 08:17 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Any idea's on ground clearance? Did you modify the length of the down piece off the header flange? SS welding is not in my skill set. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

It won't be much. Maybe 3"... I pounded the puppies flat where they passed by my subframe,but other than that no mods. I hadn't welded SS before last night. I used my mig with some stainless wire and some co2-ar mix gas. It welded much like normal steel, but burn through was faster. I can't vouch for the weld strength, but this part isn't structural anyways.

Ahhhhh! Activity! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'm stuck with painting the house so not much 914 work for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) You da man for trying the SS weld. I guess I'll look into it some more. Honestly, after some recent gas welding again, I'm seriously looking at tig.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jul 2 2014, 08:41 AM
Post #165

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Get some ear plugs Subaru's make some noise. The car Chris posted a video of has some long magnaflow mufflers on it.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 2 2014, 08:42 AM
Post #166

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Speaking of welding and grinding, I had a tiny piece of metal in my eye for a week! No wonder I've been a little irritable. Dang that drove me nuts. I'm wearing goggles from here on out.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 7 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #167

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 2 2014, 08:24 AM) *

when ever is good for you
I want a ride someday too
are you wrenching this weekend?

Sorry Brant, I was already out of town when I got this! I'm out of town this weekend too for a wedding, but I'll be wrenching every night this week or you can just wait till the weekend after next to come check it out. Hopefully it will be ready to go by then!

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jul 2 2014, 08:41 AM) *

Get some ear plugs Subaru's make some noise. The car Chris posted a video of has some long magnaflow mufflers on it.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds when I start it up for the first time with these exhaust pipes once my O2 sensors get in! Its just about ready to go, I really just need to mount the shifter! Then I can start the long road of optimization hopefully!

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 2 2014, 08:42 AM) *

Speaking of welding and grinding, I had a tiny piece of metal in my eye for a week! No wonder I've been a little irritable. Dang that drove me nuts. I'm wearing goggles from here on out.

I agree, the worst is when you are still wearing safety glasses and somehow the frag finds its way around and into your eye!
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 7 2014, 09:46 PM
Post #168

Professional Enthusiast

I finished up the cable clutch bell crank linage tonight. Its allowing me to use the stock clutch cable to pull on the new subie clutch.

I re-used a pretty stout pulley axle that comes on the back of the transmission before you pull the tail cone. I had to drill a new hole to get it to fit in the right place, but there is plenty of room to drill.
Attached Image

I picked up a couple of bronze bushings from Ace and machined the OD to fit into some steel pipe using my mini-lathe. Then I welded the whole bushing to a piece of angle iron and drilled a few holes so I could play with the throw ratios!
Attached Image

My linkage from the bell crank to the throw out arm is currently a piece of allthread. I'll get something more official in there eventually, but this will work for test driving!

The clutch pedal has a very different feel to it. The way I have the ratios set up right now it is much softer to push than a stock pedal, which makes it feel kind of weird. I can dial up the pedal pressure, but I think I'll go with it for right now.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 7 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #169

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Way to go, Ross. Question; which wire off the tranny did you use for the VSS to the ECU. Is it the middle one of the 3 wires? I'm right where you are with your build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 10 2014, 11:03 AM
Post #170

Professional Enthusiast

I put the car back on its wheels for the first time with the exhaust installed. The pipes exit right where I want them to, but my ground clearance is pretty suspect, if estimate between two and three inches! I hope my suspension is stiff enough!

Attached Image
Attached Image

The engine is remarkably quiet at idle, but it gets throaty pretty quick when you throttle up. Sorry no videos yet!

The issue I'm having now is air in the coolant system. I can't seem to get the last bit out! Anyone have any tips?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 10 2014, 11:03 AM
Post #171

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 7 2014, 10:00 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Way to go, Ross. Question; which wire off the tranny did you use for the VSS to the ECU. Is it the middle one of the 3 wires? I'm right where you are with your build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I haven't dealt with that yet. Hopefully tonight!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 10 2014, 11:37 AM
Post #172

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 10 2014, 12:03 PM) *

The issue I'm having now is air in the coolant system. I can't seem to get the last bit out! Anyone have any tips?

Wow those pipes look mean! Love it! Careful backing out of the driveway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) !

On the air in the system, can't picture your setup but here are the things I have read:

- Run the car with the radiator cap off to let the bubbles escape as freely as possible
- Jack the car up at different angles, especially if you know where the pocket probably is.
- DRIVE IT AROUND
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Jul 10 2014, 12:46 PM
Post #173

Small Member

Member No.: 633

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 10 2014, 09:03 AM) *

Hi Ross -
Get a hold of Bob (BIGKAT). He explained to me how his orange car was set up (cooling wise) and how he directly addressed the air issue. It was pretty fantanstic - making it litterally a non issue ever again. Cool stuff.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Jul 10 2014, 01:55 PM
Post #174

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

QUOTE(Scott S @ Jul 10 2014, 10:46 AM) *

Hi Ross -
Get a hold of Bob (BIGKAT). He explained to me how his orange car was set up (cooling wise) and how he directly addressed the air issue. It was pretty fantanstic - making it litterally a non issue ever again. Cool stuff.

This is how I purge the air out of my conversion, I used a radiator drain valve.
You open the valve to let out all the air while the engine is running
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 10 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #175

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(904svo @ Jul 10 2014, 01:55 PM) *

This is how I purge the air out of my conversion, I used a radiator drain valve.

Perfect! I bought a t like that last night, but didn't think it would work. It looks like it just fits onto the heater core hoses?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 10 2014, 03:07 PM
Post #176

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 10 2014, 02:11 PM) *

Perfect! I bought a t like that last night, but didn't think it would work. It looks like it just fits onto the heater core hoses?

That could work well. What's the highest point in your cooling system? Then install it there and that should do it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
904svo
post Jul 10 2014, 04:34 PM
Post #177

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 10 2014, 01:07 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 10 2014, 02:11 PM) *

That could work well. What's the highest point in your cooling system? Then install it there and that should do it.

The way Subaru cools the engine it must be installed there!!!! They use a
close loop system on start up, the air & steam must be removed before the
thermostat opens. Thats why people have trouble with air in the system.
+Quote Post
bam914
post Jul 10 2014, 08:52 PM
Post #178

Member No.: 1,378
Region Association: None

Best way to fill a cooling system and not have air in it.

http://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift...r/dp/B0002SRH5G
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 11 2014, 06:48 AM
Post #179

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

I had a heck of a time getting the air out of my system as well. I have an expansion tank and coolant reservoir in both the front and rear. I tried bleeding it with different combinations grade and radiator cap installations and still could not get the air out.

Eventually I worked it out by leaving both caps on and tight and heat cycling the system several times while making sure that the reservoirs were always full while it was sucking coolant back in.

I am pretty sure that I had a few small leaks initially that were allowing coolant out and air back in also.

Good luck.

Scott
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 11 2014, 12:30 PM
Post #180

QUOTE(904svo @ Jul 10 2014, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Scott S @ Jul 10 2014, 10:46 AM) *

Hi Ross -

Attached Image

Copper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Where were you when I was getting flamed for using copper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I hope you'll be kind enough to take a pic of the inside of one of those fittings. I know you've been running this set up long enough to see the results. My $$ says your good. Ross, 3/4" copper OD=7/8" nom 3/4" tee OD = 1" nom. Highjack over.
EDIT: I just saw it's 1/2" copper so 1/2" pipe OD = 5/8" nom and 1/2 Tee OD = 3/4"
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:01 AM