Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Apollo Racer Build Thread, EZ36 Build-Up with ITB's!
IanJ
post Jul 13 2014, 05:46 AM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,327
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Awesome build. Do you have any more details on the clutch setup? Some close up picks of the linkage or a diagram would be great thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 22 2014, 08:41 PM
Post #182

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

A bit of a setback! I had the car running and driving great and was in the middle of installing some EXCELLENT gauges from Kent, when I smelled some smoke. I lean out of the car and the harness by the left headlight is spewing smoke! Now I have got to weed through the entire harness forward of the firewall and replace wiring!

I do have some good news though! A new toy came up for sale through a co-worker at a price I couldn't say no to! say hello to my new semi-mid-engined daily! a 2003 S2000 with 76k original miles with a red leather interior and the factory hardtop (something of a rarity). I am its 3rd owner!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 22 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #183

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

thats my favorite color combo
I've been looking casually for one
good score!

brant
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 26 2014, 01:17 AM
Post #184

Professional Enthusiast

Pretty productive day today! I repaired the wiring harness and was able to get the car running again! Then I drove it over to a friend's shop and used his scan tool to check the CEL codes listed below:

P0463
Fuel level sensor a circuit high input
P1698
manufacturer controlled computer output circuit
P0691
Fan 1 control circuit low
P0866
Tcm communication circuit high
P0447
Evap emission open
P0037
Heated o2 sensor heater control circuit low bank 1 sensor 2

Doesn't look like anything too serious. My fan still has never kicked on, but the temp gauge is staying right in the middle.

I also did some more dash work. Kent sent me a subie Speedo and a tach already mounted in 914 tach cans which look awesome. Unfortunately the Speedo hole won't fit the tach size, so I put a differentsubie Speedo into the stock Speedo can. It is definitely harder to read, but less cutting.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 26 2014, 08:00 AM
Post #185

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Looks great, Ross. BTW, re: P0691; in that you are running single speed fans I wonder what would happen if you connected both grounds (hi-lo) together. Maybe the ECU doesn't see that ground. FWIW, I had P0037 code before I dropped the engine from the donor. No CEL's from the missing 3rd 02 sensor? Great job, Ross. Enjoyed your build.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 26 2014, 08:00 AM
Post #186

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sweet! How's the power?

You can probably search what those mean on a subie site and see how they handled them. rs25.com has a lot of conversions. I'd check the "high" circuits for sure, sounds like too much juice going through them but it might mean something totally different. Also that o2 sensor connection should be checked...loose or frayed wire maybe. You want that one good so the engine runs right. Did you clear them off and re-run them by chance?

BTW your tach is upside down (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (I know, I know).
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 27 2014, 09:28 PM
Post #187

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 26 2014, 08:00 AM) *

Looks great, Ross. BTW, re: P0691; in that you are running single speed fans I wonder what would happen if you connected both grounds (hi-lo) together. Maybe the ECU doesn't see that ground. FWIW, I had P0037 code before I dropped the engine from the donor. No CEL's from the missing 3rd 02 sensor? Great job, Ross. Enjoyed your build.

This was a great idea! I combined all three Fan relay grounds so the fan will kick on when any of them satisfy their loading conditions. It works beautifully. The fan kick on fairly infrequently and then kicks back of after a minute or two! Great tip!

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 26 2014, 08:00 AM) *

Sweet! How's the power?

You can probably search what those mean on a subie site and see how they handled them. rs25.com has a lot of conversions. I'd check the "high" circuits for sure, sounds like too much juice going through them but it might mean something totally different. Also that o2 sensor connection should be checked...loose or frayed wire maybe. You want that one good so the engine runs right. Did you clear them off and re-run them by chance?

BTW your tach is upside down (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (I know, I know).

The power is intoxicating! I rarely put the hammer down in first because its over too quickly. In second when you mash it the power just keeps coming, with the most seeming to come in the 4-6.5k range!

I haven't done any more work with the codes, but once I ground out the fuel level sender and finish the fan wiring I'll clear them and see what comes back.

The engine has been running flawlessly, I put 50-60 miles on it this weekend with short trips and tweaks in between and plan to continue putting on as many as possible prior to RRC!

On a downer note, the remoted gauges don't work. I'm going to pull them out of the dash tonight and make sure I had them hooked up properly, but I wasn't getting any movement out of them at all. for now I'm driving with the subie gauge pack in the passenger footwell and mostly just gauging speed by flow of traffic!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 27 2014, 09:38 PM
Post #188

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just download the ulysee speedometer app on your phone. Works great for temporary speedo until you get yours figured out. Just works off the GPS plus has a HUD feature if you want to use it at night. Just set the phone on your dash at night
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 27 2014, 09:52 PM
Post #189

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 27 2014, 09:38 PM) *

Just download the ulysee speedometer app on your phone. Works great for temporary speedo until you get yours figured out. Just works off the GPS plus has a HUD feature if you want to use it at night. Just set the phone on your dash at night

Already have it! but how to keep it from sliding across my dash and out the window in high-g turns (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 27 2014, 10:05 PM
Post #190

Professional Enthusiast

A diagram with measurements for my clutch pull bellcrank. I also cut about an inch out of the throw out arm itself so it would clear the trunk without cutting.

I ran the stock cable under the engine, pulling it pretty tightly against the bottom of Ian's subframe. With these ratios the clutch pedal requires a bit less force than the stock 914.

I'm running a stock clutch pack out of a 97 base outback and its holding the power fine so far. We'll see how it goes as time goes on.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 27 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #191

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 27 2014, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 27 2014, 09:38 PM) *

Already have it! but how to keep it from sliding across my dash and out the window in high-g turns (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)?

With my Samsung s5 in it's case. It jams into the space with all 3 vent controls to the right. It will jam in there & not move. Of course that puts your fan on high but I've used that many times. I also had the 3d print mount for my cup holder. That worked great too until I broke it. Then got the little bigger s5 phone anyway. Need to see if he is making that adapter yet. LOL
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 27 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #192

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 27 2014, 10:23 PM) *

With my Samsung s5 in it's case. It jams into the space with all 3 vent controls to the right. It will jam in there & not move. Of course that puts your fan on high but I've used that many times. I also had the 3d print mount for my cup holder. That worked great too until I broke it. Then got the little bigger s5 phone anyway. Need to see if he is making that adapter yet. LOL

Sorry that it broke! I'll have to see about printing with a stronger material next time!!
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 28 2014, 12:15 AM
Post #193

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 27 2014, 09:28 PM) *

On a downer note, the remoted gauges don't work. I'm going to pull them out of the dash tonight and make sure I had them hooked up properly, but I wasn't getting any movement out of them at all. for now I'm driving with the subie gauge pack in the passenger footwell and mostly just gauging speed by flow of traffic!

I revise my previous statement! When I was making the speedo I re-positioned the needle, which was giving an erroneous reading! one re-positioned correctly its working (at least a bit). On the tach, one of the pins has come out just a bit and had to be re-inserted. Not a big deal and now all is well!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 30 2014, 07:28 PM
Post #194

Hey Ross, anything to report yet on the heat or absence of heat from the longs. Re: your speedo, you said it's kinda of working. Be sure the needle has clearance from the glass. That one bit me.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 3 2014, 01:07 PM
Post #195

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 30 2014, 07:28 PM) *

Hey Ross, anything to report yet on the heat or absence of heat from the longs. Re: your speedo, you said it's kinda of working. Be sure the needle has clearance from the glass. That one bit me.

I can reach down and feel the return pipe from the drivers seat and tell when it's getting got, so far it definitely hadn't been unbearable though. I do think that I'm going to start working on an engine mounted radiator though as I have time. It will make everything so much more convenient!

As far as the gauges go the problem is primarily the pins in the back of the gauges coming slightly undone. The Speedo is working pretty reliably, but the teach is only running to 3k or so before the needle starts moving the other direction (engine goes faster). I also could be more excited about the night lighting color (greenish) but I really can't complain because Kent's work has saved me load of trouble!
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 3 2014, 09:11 PM
Post #196

Professional Enthusiast

YouTube link to some exhaust notes. Not quite as pretty as Kent's I'm afraid.
Exhaust noise: http://youtu.be/CayDApPDJ98
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 4 2014, 08:36 AM
Post #197

I love it! Sounds fantastic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 6 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #198

Professional Enthusiast

I went on a 50 mile cruise with a buddy this evening. We did a couple of highway pulls pitting my subie 3.0 against his twin turbo 2009 335. I pulled away every time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). Im seeing 3.5 k rpm or so at up on the highway, and the exhaust note Is a bit droning at that pace.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 7 2014, 08:22 AM
Post #199

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 6 2014, 09:07 PM) *

I went on a 50 mile cruise with a buddy this evening. We did a couple of highway pulls pitting my subie 3.0 against his twin turbo 2009 335. I pulled away every time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). Im seeing 3.5 k rpm or so at up on the highway, and the exhaust note Is a bit droning at that pace.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I'm waiting on another throttle cable. They sent the wrong one, yesterday. Your killing me, Ross. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I've only done a partial pull in second, thus far. So, did your friend make excuses or offer to buy your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
1stworks
post Aug 7 2014, 08:27 AM
Post #200

Member No.: 15,718
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 6 2014, 10:07 PM) *

Very impressive! !!!

I could b super happy with that :-)

any changes in handling? ?

Scotty
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:19 AM