Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Apollo Racer Build Thread, EZ36 Build-Up with ITB's!
ChrisFoley
post Sep 29 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #21

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 29 2011, 12:24 PM) *

I think I am at least going to keep the headers for now, but need to be thinking about upgrading to better flowing. I know you are biased, but are there any other high flowing header systems out there besides yours?

Primary lengths are ok on your header, just the diameter is too restrictive.
1 5/8" MSDS 4 cyl header (KHH clone) would be a better choice for about the same investment as the KHH was.
I don't like the long length of European Racing Headers for an engine with higher than stock power band.
What would I use EGT data for? just determining which cylinders were lean under load?

Too lean spells disaster at WOT. Also, if you have any problem with only one cylinder (or one bank), your O2 readout isn't going to help with the diagnosis.
I am planning on getting an Accusump system ASAP, what is the preferred size for this application? 3 qt? I had heard some talk about the front trunk being the best mounting location for an accusump for weight distribution, which would only work with a front mounted thermostat. but then you have some excessive pumping distance.

3 quart, yes. As close to the engine as you can within reason. A check valve in the accusump circuit prevents backfeed to the cooler.
If i were to relocate the thermostat, where would the preferred location be?

Firewall in the engine compartment if possible. You want your oil to reach the thermostat cracking temp quickly.
I have not seen any adjustable brake bias control, so I am operating under the assumption that it has a stock proportioning valve.

You can put a knob style prop. valve in place of the stock regulator. It just means you won't have cockpit adjustability.
I have cam specs somewhere and will post later. the heads have stiffer return springs so I place the true redline around 6500.

Single springs with such large valves may prevent you from reaching 6500. As long as you have the 1 1/2" header it won't matter much, you're losing power before 6000.
Am I right that you are essentially saying I should revert to a stock clutch and pressure plate?

I'd look for a 911S aluminum pressure plate and matching clutch disc. It will handle your power and is easy to operate.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 29 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #22

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I just checked the engine build sheet. According to specs it has dual valve springs, chromolly retainers, and a cam with .521/286 duration. It also states the headers are 1-5/8 but perhaps that has been changed.

Will the 911s equipment bolt right up?

-Ross
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 29 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #23

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Kerry Hunter never made a 1 5/8" header. You should measure the dia of your primaries to be certain.
If I was selling a Tangerine Header for an engine such as yours I would recommend 1 3/4" primaries.

You should be able to rev past 6500, and your HP peak may be above that anyway. Its hard to tell without more detailed cam info and empirical test data (dyno runs).

I used to have a short stroke x 103mm engine (2.2L) with 48/38 valved heads and dual springs that revved to 7500 rpm and with a 1 3/4" Tangerine header it made 180 peak hp.

The pressure plate is a direct bolt on and uses the same throwout bearing.
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 29 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Very Nice, Congrats!
See you in spring at driver's school?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 29 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #25

Professional Enthusiast

Yeah, what do you run in?
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 30 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 29 2011, 04:20 PM) *

Midwest Council of SportsCar Clubs
in the Vintage Historic class

General Competition Rules

The roll cage might be in question for wheel to wheel but you could run the full track autocross as is
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 30 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #27

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(gms @ Sep 30 2011, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 29 2011, 04:20 PM) *

Midwest Council of SportsCar Clubs
in the Vintage Historic class

General Competition Rules

The roll cage might be in question for wheel to wheel but you could run the full track autocross as is

The cage does have door bars, I'll just have to check if it satisfies all the requirements for the vintage class. I get the feeling that my engine mods disqualify me from running in the vintage class, or am I just reading things wrong?

High-Speed auto cross seems like the perfect way for me to ease into this! Too bad I'll miss the one this weekend. Is there anything I need to do to join MCSCC? should I even try?

-Ross
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Sep 30 2011, 01:33 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

I don't know about SCCA vintage, but in HSR, it won't matter. The four cylinders are not really a concern of the HSR rules guys. You won't be out running the front runners with it, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just get the cage legal and show up for the Mitty in April and have some fun on track.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 30 2011, 02:16 PM
Post #29

Professional Enthusiast

Looks like I better start looking out for an inexpensive aluminum trailer so I can haul with my diminuitive subie 2.0L forester.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Sep 30 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #30

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

What class was it built for? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
If I were in your shoes, I would build for Historic rules. SCCA with less than 2.0 liters as a second option. Perhaps even try to go street-legal and drive to track or AX events the first year. Once you have a full-blown racer, a solid tow vehicle is needed.
Good luck. Awesome 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 30 2011, 02:47 PM
Post #31

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

inexpensive and aluminum trailer, are not 2 words that go together...

I have a light weight trailer (not aluminum) that is inexpensive I'm selling, but used aluminum trailers start at around 5k
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 30 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 30 2011, 01:16 PM) *

The cage does have door bars, I'll just have to check if it satisfies all the requirements for the vintage class. I get the feeling that my engine mods disqualify me from running in the vintage class, or am I just reading things wrong?

High-Speed auto cross seems like the perfect way for me to ease into this! Too bad I'll miss the one this weekend. Is there anything I need to do to join MCSCC? should I even try?

-Ross

Your engine will be fine, people cheat like mad on engines.
There is a race on the 16th but I am not sure what is needed for autocross
I will be at Rennsport IV
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 3 2011, 10:23 AM
Post #33

Professional Enthusiast

The 16th I'll be in AR for MUSR, but the lapping days at Putnam Park is a possibility.
+Quote Post
gms
post Oct 4 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 3 2011, 11:23 AM) *

The 16th I'll be in AR for MUSR, but the lapping days at Putnam Park is a possibility.

Ross,
I have contacted a friend who is familiar with the Midwest Council autocross registration process. I am can send your info to him so he can help,
shoot me your email and i will forward it.
+Quote Post
timgreen
post Oct 5 2011, 09:08 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 10,219

If you have time come to Blackhawk Farms Raceway Sunday, October 16. I will be racing my 1971 914-6 in the MCSCC Vintage Group race (weather permitting). We can discuss items that will be required if you want to go wheel-to-wheel racing. You can find me near the gas pump and my car is white/green "POLIZEI" number 43.

Hope to see you then,
Tim Green

PS. We will have at least 4 914's racing in the Long race for MCSCC the last weekend in October - Saturday and Sunday 10/29-30. Plan on attending this race also and get to talk to as many owner/racers as you can.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 5 2011, 09:39 AM
Post #36

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(timgreen @ Oct 5 2011, 11:08 AM) *

If you have time come to Blackhawk Farms Raceway Sunday, October 16. I will be racing my 1971 914-6 in the MCSCC Vintage Group race (weather permitting). We can discuss items that will be required if you want to go wheel-to-wheel racing. You can find me near the gas pump and my car is white/green "POLIZEI" number 43.

Hope to see you then,
Tim Green

PS. We will have at least 4 914's racing in the Long race for MCSCC the last weekend in October - Saturday and Sunday 10/29-30. Plan on attending this race also and get to talk to as many owner/racers as you can.

The weekend of the 16th I'll be in Arkansas at the MUSR, the last weekend in October is more doable, although my parents may be visiting then. If not you can expect to see me out there. The more I think about it the more I am leaning away from wheel to wheel my first year. I feel like getting driver education first is the safest and best choice for me. I look forward to meeting you!

-Ross
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 5 2011, 06:54 PM
Post #37

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 30 2011, 04:47 PM) *

inexpensive and aluminum trailer, are not 2 words that go together...

I have a light weight trailer (not aluminum) that is inexpensive I'm selling, but used aluminum trailers start at around 5k

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Aluminum Trailers are $$... Trailex has a nice open trailer you can usually find a used one around 4-5K....

Anyway, no matter what you try to race in you'll enjoy it. I have heard that SCCA is a bit rough on cars, but that is by what I have heard. No first hand experience. I have been around many PCA events and they are always a good group. Are you wanting to AX or full track DE?
+Quote Post
timgreen
post Oct 5 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 10,219

QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 5 2011, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(timgreen @ Oct 5 2011, 11:08 AM) *

Hope to see you then,
Tim Green

The weekend of the 16th I'll be in Arkansas at the MUSR, the last weekend in October is more doable, although my parents may be visiting then. If not you can expect to see me out there. The more I think about it the more I am leaning away from wheel to wheel my first year. I feel like getting driver education first is the safest and best choice for me. I look forward to meeting you!

-Ross

Ross -
I have been racing since 1984 when I bought my 944. I think a year of MCSCC Autocrossing and Porsche Club Drivers Ed events will help prepare you for wheel-to-wheel. Both clubs offer driver instruction and are very helpful. For now I wouldn't do anything to your car unless it involved a safety item like Nascar Bars in the drivers door. All the talk about your engine, clutch etc. --- wait until you have driven it for a while, have some fun and learn how to drive a race course (it’s not like the street). You do need to meet with someone from one of the clubs technical inspection departments so they can tell you if there are any safety items that would prevent you from participating. It would suck to show up and be denied access to the track because your seat belts were out of date. By the way I am one of the instructors for MCSCC wheel-to-wheel racing so when you are ready I would be happy to have you as a student. MCSCC holds an Indoor Drivers School at Autobahn, I strongly recommend you attend that. If you don’t already belong to both MCSCC and PCA I think you should consider them both. I belong to North Suburban Sports Car Club within MCSCC but any of the clubs are ok to join.
Regards,
Tim
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 5 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #39

Professional Enthusiast

Both? As much as I can afford. I was passenger in a few DE's back in Colorado. Plenty of fun and friendship, no competition.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 5 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #40

Professional Enthusiast

Is the best place to meet the tech inspection guys at the events like those you mentioned earlier?
+Quote Post

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:32 PM