Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Apollo Racer Build Thread, EZ36 Build-Up with ITB's!
mgp4591
post Dec 15 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #361

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Your rerouting of the coolant lines should help somewhat with temps but have you thought about trying a larger hose size? Some have said that just a small increase makes a large difference and keeping the hoses in the longs keeps them out of harms way. I know a lot of folks run underneath but I've always thought that safer is better. We've got too many speed bumps around here anyway!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 15 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #362

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm already running fairly large lines (1.25"). I agree about the exposure of the lines being an issue, I may have a few ideas of how to counter that though.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 15 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #363

Professional Enthusiast

Well, its definitely not as sexy (or as well tuned to the peak torque range) as the 6" stacks, but these are a hell of a lot more practical...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 15 2016, 11:03 PM
Post #364

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I had a flat radiator on my first conversion 914. I loved having a front trunk but it was a PITA on a hot day, driving slow on a dirt road. Fans blew dirt everywhere. Air flowing under the car is not good either. I did have the rad modded to have a vertical filler tube that raised up almost to the hood. This was a great high point filler.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 15 2016, 11:37 PM
Post #365

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 15 2016, 10:03 PM) *

I had a flat radiator on my first conversion 914. I loved having a front trunk but it was a PITA on a hot day, driving slow on a dirt road. Fans blew dirt everywhere. Air flowing under the car is not good either. I did have the rad modded to have a vertical filler tube that raised up almost to the hood. This was a great high point filler.

I recall hearing that before! My fan must not be nearly as strong as yours, because I haven't experienced anything too annoying so far. I definitely do notice the hot air billowing up during the summer, but I suspect I'd get that with wheel well vents as well.

I have been worried about too much air under the car as well, bit I wonder if my low front spoiler helps somewhat. I have had it up to 105 at our local track.and it didn't feel too loose at that speed.

Did yours ever feel like it was loosening up?
+Quote Post
3d914
post Dec 19 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #366

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ross, that motor looks gorgeous with throttle-bodies. Any idea how it will sound with them?
+Quote Post
greggearhead
post Dec 20 2016, 07:32 AM
Post #367

Member No.: 12,836

[quote name='greggearhead' post='2434155' date='Dec 15 2016, 11:25 AM']
That things gonna sound wicked-cool.
[/quote]

Thanks Greg! Did you end up getting your EZ30 sold? (For anyone reading, I built a harness up for an EZ30 that I sold for Greg's Bus conversion).
[/quote]

I did - it's going into a guy's Karmann Ghia!!

I'm getting a flat 6 with a turbo and some old stand alone management, but I think I wanna build a healthy NA version instead. I'll be talking to you sometime soon. I've got an older Megasquirt sitting on the shelf and love those ITBs...
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 20 2016, 08:02 AM
Post #368

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(greggearhead @ Dec 20 2016, 06:32 AM) *

I did - it's going into a guy's Karmann Ghia!!

I'm getting a flat 6 with a turbo and some old stand alone management, but I think I wanna build a healthy NA version instead. I'll be talking to you sometime soon. I've got an older Megasquirt sitting on the shelf and love those ITBs...

I may start turning out kits, I mean hell, I already have all the components designed!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 20 2016, 03:22 PM
Post #369

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

No doubt there would be a market for it. Not huge, but for you it would be plenty.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 21 2016, 03:37 AM
Post #370

914 Guru

ITBs on an EG33 would be purty kool.... maybe not super practical but who ever said driving a 914 was a practical endeavor?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 21 2016, 08:51 AM
Post #371

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm starting to REALLY like those. What version of MS do you run them with?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 21 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #372

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(3d914 @ Dec 19 2016, 08:07 PM) *

Ross, that motor looks gorgeous with throttle-bodies. Any idea how it will sound with them?

No idea on how they will sound yet, but I sure hope it will be suitably raw!

I'm also planning on switching to a lightweight flywheel to help even more with throttle response. My understanding (I believe it was from DBcooper) is that our small cars really don't need all the flywheel mass required by a much heavier Subaru!

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 21 2016, 07:51 AM) *

I'm starting to REALLY like those. What version of MS do you run them with?

I'm planning on building up an MS3 system, but that is by far going to be the most trouble I'm sure (Particularly running the variable cams).

Eventually I would like to run dual injectors as well (one set of injectors in the head, one set in the throttle bodies), and modulate the duty cyle on each to maximize response at low engine speeds (injectors in head, closer to valves) and maximize power at high engine speeds (injectors in throttle bodies, better fuel mixture before entering cylinder)

I'm buying the system this week, so hopefully I can sink my teeth into learning it as the new year comes!

-Ross
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 21 2016, 01:25 PM
Post #373

914 Guru

Do you really need the variable cam setup engaged or will the engine run without it? I know it's a tasty bit of technology but will the electronics adapt to the MS system? It would be easier if it was the Honda type Vtec type where it's pretty much built up oil pressure but I'm sure you've taken all of that into consideration...
This is pretty interesting stuff but I'm happy with more of a stock type because I'm lazy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 21 2016, 02:52 PM
Post #374

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Another advantage for the short six engines from Subaru the Speed Triple TBs line up better with the intake ports. Looks like they where thinking of doing that al along. on the EG33 your intakes are of an unequal length. Or you have to separate the TBs build new linkage pieces and new fuel rails.

One nice thing with the Speed Triples is each one has a vacuum port so, you can dump them to a manifold, stick a Mig nozzle in the tube going to the MAP and you will have a nice steady signal.

Love the look (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Are you planning on using a motorcycle cable splitter or linkage for the throttle cable connections?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 21 2016, 11:11 PM
Post #375

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 21 2016, 01:52 PM) *

Another advantage for the short six engines from Subaru the Speed Triple TBs line up better with the intake ports. Looks like they where thinking of doing that al along. on the EG33 your intakes are of an unequal length. Or you have to separate the TBs build new linkage pieces and new fuel rails.

One nice thing with the Speed Triples is each one has a vacuum port so, you can dump them to a manifold, stick a Mig nozzle in the tube going to the MAP and you will have a nice steady signal.

Are you planning on using a motorcycle cable splitter or linkage for the throttle cable connections?

I did actually space the throttle bodies (~20mm) and modified the linkage between them so the manifolds are perfectly vertical!

The throttle bodies I have actually have two-way pulleys, so it should be pretty straight forward to have the throttle cable run to one, and have it pull the other pulley!

+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 21 2016, 11:11 PM
Post #376

Professional Enthusiast

double post
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 22 2016, 04:11 AM
Post #377

914 Guru

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 21 2016, 01:52 PM) *

It sounds like the two systems were made for each other! Also make the decision to keep the EG33 as a simpler setup which is fine - there's other options for power improvement on that platform. Great build Ross!
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 16 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #378

Professional Enthusiast

Well, I put the EZ36 on the back burner for a bit while I made some upgrades to my existing setup. First off was adding in a hydraulic clutch (instead of my cable bell crank method). TO do this I designed a 304 Stainless master bracket that bolts onto the brake pedal supports (credit to Chris and Kent for that idea) I added a flange on the bottom edge to get enough stiffness to eliminate flex without a supplemental bracket.

The remote reservoir is mounted right next to the brake reservoir up top and has a separate fluid feed line.

I drilled a 1.5" hole into the passenger compartment for the master and lined it with a grommet to seal on the master itself. I also had to add a small hole for the hydraulic line to pass through, but overall am really pleased with the result.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 16 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #379

Professional Enthusiast

I had previously cut a small hole in the trunk firewall to allow clearance for small air filter. I have been trying to figure a way to clean it up since. This weekend I took a stab at making a manifold flip for the EZ30 using 1-R bend 2.5" tube. I wish I had used regular steel vs. Stainless because the welds came out so poorly. I may be making another one of these in the near future. Not sure if it will help or hurt performance, but I can run a proper air filter and can finally close my trunk back off.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
greggearhead
post Jan 17 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #380

Member No.: 12,836

Nice work - love the clutch master.
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:58 AM