Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Apollo Racer Build Thread, EZ36 Build-Up with ITB's!
76-914
post Feb 21 2014, 06:40 PM
Post #61

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Nice welds! Maybe you can flip that fan around and power the car with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Should work fine with a tight fitting plenum. I'm glad your going a different path here. We can eventually come up with a good combination of known working components by trying new/different techniques when possible. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 22 2014, 12:01 AM
Post #62

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm laying my plan out for the accessory belts. I don't plan to run A/C, and I have no need to run the power steering pump, so I plan to remove those from the system. The idea is to attach the alternator on the swinging end to a turnbuckle type strut connecting it to the engine case, and using the alternator itself as the tensioner, much like the layout on the 914. I've drawn my anticipated layout on this image.

Anyone see anything that looks absolutely terrible?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 22 2014, 12:05 AM
Post #63

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 21 2014, 05:40 PM) *

Nice welds! Maybe you can flip that fan around and power the car with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Should work fine with a tight fitting plenum. I'm glad your going a different path here. We can eventually come up with a good combination of known working components by trying new/different techniques when possible. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

My neighbor(same one with the fan) was kind enough to lend me some time on his 240 Miller for that welding. What a nice machine! I'm headed to the junkyard tomorrow to scope out what radiators fit the dimensions I'm looking for. My current fall back is the 00-05 Toyota Celica radiator, but tomorrow will be eye opening.

Monday marks the start of the wiring work!
+Quote Post
skeates
post Feb 22 2014, 12:24 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 3,684
Region Association: Northern California

Check out the Toyota MR2 Radiators. I got an aftermarket one, but the dimensions work really well in there. The MR2 Turbos were something like 200 HP which puts it in the right range for the EZ30D.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 22 2014, 09:41 AM
Post #65

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) Pls excuse the quick Hijack Ross but it seems a good time to mention this. I like your belt lay out for the omission of the PS pump and A/C. I mentioned this to you; I found that my method of removing the PS pump will NOT work because the geometry just isn't there. i.e., not enough swing in the tensioner from it's new angle. I will post this later in my thd but wanted to mention this in case anyone was going that route. Hijack over.
+Quote Post
Gary
post Feb 22 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 22 2014, 01:01 AM) *

I'm laying my plan out for the accessory belts. I don't plan to run A/C, and I have no need to run the power steering pump, so I plan to remove those from the system. The idea is to attach the alternator on the swinging end to a turnbuckle type strut connecting it to the engine case, and using the alternator itself as the tensioner, much like the layout on the 914. I've drawn my anticipated layout on this image.

The 818 kit car guys have this option: alternator bracket if you don't want to do your own design/fab work.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 22 2014, 10:26 AM
Post #67

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Gary @ Feb 22 2014, 08:56 )

The 818 kit car guys have this option: alternator bracket if you don't want to do your own design/fab work.

That's looks pretty handy! Thanks. I think mine should be able to bolt on without any fabrication, but that will make an excellent backup.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 22 2014, 11:18 AM
Post #68

QUOTE(Gary @ Feb 22 2014, 07:56 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 22 2014, 01:01 AM) *

Being a CSOB, and I hate to say it, that is a good deal. He has $40 in hardware and materials, alone; plus paint, labor, etc.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 22 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #69

Professional Enthusiast

I picked up a radiator from the Junkyard today for fitting and mockup. It's off a 1982 Volvo. I understand that by doing a conversion I have to make some sacrifices, but I don't really want to give up the front trunk.

To that end, since my car already has the front trunk floor cut out, I am going to try mounting the radiator flat on the front trunk floor, mounting my pusher fan above it, and sealing it up with a floor panel similar to the stock panel. Hopefully that will a allow it to form some kind of duct!

The oil cooler will be removed as well.

If it doesn't work I'll switch to the more traditional vertical radiator.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 23 2014, 04:32 PM
Post #70

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Fans work better pulling air than pushing. I am also not a huge fan of giving up the front trunk yet, I am also not a fan of putting air under the front of the 914. If your going to do it. Run a deep front spoiler to create a negative pressure area under the front to gel hold the front down, maybe. As never ducting under the car tis is not first hand knowledge. I am sure Brant has thought long and hard on cooling of 914s. While they are oil coolers much of his finds would translate into a radiator setup. Especially since you want to see the track with this car.

I will be watching this thread though, looks like a great build.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 23 2014, 04:49 PM
Post #71

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 23 2014, 03:32 PM) *

Fans work better pulling air than pushing. I am also not a huge fan of giving up the front trunk yet, I am also not a fan of putting air under the front of the 914. If your going to do it. Run a deep front spoiler to create a negative pressure area under the front to gel hold the front down, maybe. As never ducting under the car tis is not first hand knowledge. I am sure Brant has thought long and hard on cooling of 914s. While they are oil coolers much of his finds would translate into a radiator setup. Especially since you want to see the track with this car.

I will be watching this thread though, looks like a great build.

I agree that I would prefer to dump the air to the wheel wells. What is not visible in those photos is the large hole already cut into my front trunk by the PO for the oil cooler exit, making this a relatively low-risk experiment. I picked up an enourmous 14" puller fan from the junkyard while I was there getting the radiator, but the ducting is going to be much easier for the pusher fan, so I may try that first and see if it cools adequately, and if no, switch to the puller fan.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Mar 3 2014, 09:04 AM
Post #72

Professional Enthusiast

I got a bit distracted last week while hanging out with a friend in his garage! It's enough to make anyone jealous!!
Attached Image
I got back to it this weekend. I spent close to 6 hours outside in 15 degree temperatures and snow pulling the wiring harness or of the donor car! I had no idea how much work that was going to be.
Attached Image

I shop potent last night adding flags to the connectors on the harness preparing to start cutting.

Before I do, are there any systems that seem like they should get cut but are essential?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 3 2014, 09:25 AM
Post #73

I don't envy you sorting that maze out! Your brain will want some recess at the end of each evening. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Mar 3 2014, 10:50 PM
Post #74

Professional Enthusiast

I finally got every connector flagged according to the manual tonight (manual downloaded from this sweet source: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/).

Then I spent a few hours carefully nailing it to a piece of plywood to keep things organized when I start to cut!

It was a ton of work on the front end, but pretty much everything should go smoothly from here out (I hope).

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 3 2014, 11:37 PM
Post #75

Ross, is the pump controller in there? Shit, I just remembered that you needed some #'s off mine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Anyway, have fun and keep a clear head while working on it.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Mar 3 2014, 11:38 PM
Post #76

Professional Enthusiast

Where would it have been in the car? I pulled the entire loom and didn't see anything like that.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Mar 4 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #77

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

The fuel pump controller is located in the trunk, right side over the wheel well.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Mar 4 2014, 08:47 AM
Post #78

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(904svo @ Mar 4 2014, 07:18 AM) *

The fuel pump controller is located in the trunk, right side over the wheel well.

I don't remember anything like that. hmm. Looking at my harness guide, I don't see anything labeled like that either. Any chance it is integral to the H6 fuel pump?

Attached ImageAttached Image

Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 4 2014, 09:09 AM
Post #79

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 21 2014, 10:01 PM) *

source the turnbuckle from a 944 r 928. they used that setup for the belt tensioning Very simple, and very effective (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Has anyone found a wiring schematic as to what is and is NOT needed for our conversions ? That is the part of this I really dread doing. I hate wiring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 4 2014, 09:13 AM
Post #80

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Also if it helps you or anyone else, I have factory service manuals 2-6 for '92 SVX. No wiring, but it does have the fuel, emmisions, engine, trans etc. Looks like everything BUT the wiring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Scratch that I DO have the wiring book. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Let me know if you need any pics from it.
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:05 AM