Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Body Shop needed in Nashville, TN, I need to get some rust repair done
beemie96
post Jul 21 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,350

Nothing TOO structural. (At least not yet!). I posted some pics a week or so ago that showed some of the longitudinal rust on the driver side (the passenger side has been fixed already, though I will need the jack-post moved over there). My idea is to remove all the superficial rust on my own and then have a shop repair it. I am considering some of the chassis stiffening kits while I'm having the work done, so please let me know any thoughts on those. SO, here are the questions:

I am trying to get the car to be rust-free, but it is going to be a weekly driver car, not a show car. I will want it to look nice, though. So is it a crime to save money by doing some fiberglass/bondo repairs on my own for areas that really aren't structural at all?

I will have a body shop do anything important, of course.

I have attached a picture (of course). I will be removing everything from the car on my own, so I'll post pics and ask questions as I get to them.

Pic 1 shows that car looks decent from afar. no major damage

Pic 2 shows the rust where the hood seal goes. This is pretty bad. I can get it all out of there, but how do you fix that? Inexpensively... without welding on a whole new front? Can I do something with a f/g hood? I plan to replace the whole front hood (and rear probably) anyway.

Pic 3 shows why I plan to replace the hood. There's plenty more of that kind of thing

Pic 4 shows some troublesome rusting. It's not bad on the underside of this, though (I looked inside the fender and such). But, what can I do to fix it (again, inexpensively). I imagine the rain channel in there is necessary.

I plan to get an air-compressor and some air tools, so any recommendations on that is great as well. I've been watching the rustoration thread and i would like to get a similar tool to his grinder with that kickin' brush thing! Where could I locate? Again, I need to keep this reasonable in cost.

The idea is I WANT to do as much as I can on my own. I like working on the car. I will turn it over to a professional as soon as welding is involved, though. I can f/g and filler alright, though.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:01 AM