Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WooHoo!!, I'm Going Racing This Weekend
ChrisFoley
post Jul 21 2004, 07:23 PM
Post #1

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

SCCA National at Lime Rock!

I just painted the QP, rear bumper and f/g deck lid today. All the repairs are now complete.
Mechanically I think the car is ready. Only a little reassembly Thursday and I'm off to the track.
If anyone in the area is free on Saturday and looking for some fun, come on up! My race is either right before or right after lunch.
Admission is $15 at the gate.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 21 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Somebody take some pics. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

B
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Jul 21 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

Glad to hear you got it back together!!!

I know the feeling - I finally got the brakes squared away on my 74, along with the motor reinstalled after an EGR port weld blew out.

I should have the car running in the next few days!!! I signed up for my first AX event of the year (sad, eh?) on Aug 8th. I'll have my wife video taping with the new DV camcorder... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Later!
Tom
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jul 21 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #4

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Good luck Chris. The feeling that you're going racing soon is one of the best.
We've had a 3 month layoff. I just had my entry confirmed for Laguna Seca Aug 20 and I'm already getting excited.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 21 2004, 08:35 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Have fun Chris. I'd love to see that event at Lime Rock.

TV?
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 21 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Go get 'em (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jul 21 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #7

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

Don't lift until you see this flag. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge24.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 21 2004, 09:56 PM
Post #8

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Good luck Chris!!

I'm trying to get mark back together so he can still have a shot at the championship after his explosion..

The new engine will be even better, he will be running Nickies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Jul 22 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #9

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

Hi Chris,

Great to hear you're gonna be running again...I hope the car runs strong for you. Enjoy!

Bill P.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 22 2004, 05:32 AM
Post #10

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Write up one of those press releases and let us know all the details. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Paul
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
william harris
post Jul 22 2004, 06:16 AM
Post #11

914 Restorer

Member No.: 1,539

Great, new footage for the in car camera! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
ynotdd
post Jul 22 2004, 06:41 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 140

Good Luck Chris!!!!!! I will try to get up there to watch and cheer you on . Tony D (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 23 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #13

I am Tangerine Racing

What an awful day!
Actually it all started to unravel last night. When I got to the track I had enough time to go to tech for the car's annual inspection. I guess I wasn't quite rerady after all.
What, no brake lights? Well that would be because I never re-attached the wires that I clipped last fall. NO biggie, and the tech inspector was willing to let it slide, since I would probably get black flagged if they didn't work on the track. Pretty easy to fix.
Uh-oh, the window net wasn't attached either. Once again it is something I won't get past pre-grid if it don't work. And how come only one of the straps I use is with the net? Must be at home still. Ok, no real problem, as it was right where I left it in the garage. Good thing I was planning to go home anyway Thursday night.
The tech guy was nice and didn't write anything up about the discrepancies in my log book. We talked about some other minor issues that I agreed to resolve in the near future, for my own safety. I did a little research today on one of them and decided he was wrong anyway, so I'm not sure I'll do anything about it after all. He claimed my ballast plates had to have 2 half inch bolts holding them to the floor, instead of the four 5/16" ones I'm using. My 2004 GCR doesn't spec any size, just that it be securely installed, which it is. Once again no biggie.
So this morning Mary and I are going over the check list at the track so I can go out for practice without any mishaps. Down to the last item - pull the safety pin out of the fire extinguisher system. Mary, you can do that while I... what's that? God damn it the extinguisher is going off, f_ck, f_ck, f_ck! I'm sorry I'm yelling Mary, I know it's not your fault. I'm the dumbass that neglected to finish the installation, so the pull wire will prevent the bottle from discharging until I need it. Now what? Driving Impressions has no Halon bottles, just complete systems (AFFF or whatever) for $599. There's gotta be someone who can help me for less than that around here. Well, of course no one carries the spares that I need! What's wrong with me? Time for practice now. I can go out for a few laps without any need for a fire extinguisher, right. Yup, I'm just shaking out the car and looking for other trouble spots. Phew, got away with it, did a 1: 05 without even trying and had no big issues. Well, maybe one. The brake pedal is too firm because my Tilton master cylinder selection is too big. I can't really modulate the pedal. At least the car stops though.
A quick call to Racer Wholesale confirms that, yes, they have a full bottle on the shelf, but it ain't ok to overnight Halon bottles since 9-11, or something. Well I'm gonna need it anyway, so just ship it UPS ground to the house. No one important knows I don't have a fire extinguisher on board, so I'll just get a handheld unit from the local hardware store in Canaan and be reasonably safe for the rest of the weekend. One more problem out of the way.
There's more though! It started raining just before lunch. I'm ok with that, I like driving in the rain just fine. After all, my 914 has a roof and a windshield. The rain gets worse though. In fact it's so humid here that the temp is below the dew point in addition to all the water dropping from the clouds. Rain-x and Fog-x aren't enough for the conditions. I simply can't see the track in front of me, and pull in and ask Mary to go get a towel from the paddock. That takes a few laps, while I sit in pit lane twiddling my thumbs. That's ok, because there is a river in several places on the track anyway by now. I go back out, but it's useless. I have the towel in the car, but it's just too dangerous. I've already decided I'm coming back in as I get to the end of No-name Straight. What's this - waving yellow - a blue Mini in the Armco? As my brakes lock up I know the session is over for me. I get around the corner safely though and very carefully return to pit lane, no worse, except for having done the dreaded 3-2 upshift once while trying to see through the fog. The engine sounds ok so it must be ok, right? We'll see.
I managed to qualify 17th (1:30), ahead of all the guys who chickened out, but nowhere near where I'm capable of. At least I'm ahead of Steve Limbert who's driving an EP 914-6, and he was out there in the rain with the rest of us nuts. It seems I'm always faster than him, even though he has twice the 914 building and driving experience I have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. I probably won't sleep a wink tonight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

But don't feel too sorry for me. If I wasn't having a good time I wouldn't bother doing it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 23 2004, 06:59 PM
Post #14

I am Tangerine Racing

Oh yeah, Mr. Newman drove his Corvette to a 1:14 in the rain for Pole in the GT1 race, five seconds faster than than 2nd position, his own teammate - Mike Brockman. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
The guy isn't getting older, just faster.
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Jul 23 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 283

Good Luck.... Have Fun..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 23 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #16

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Nice write-up Chris. Good Luck tomorrow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 23 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Sounds like a typical *first* race weekend for most of us. Scramble..fix..repair..run.. scramble..fix..repair.. add some rain and you have the perfect race weekend. Congrats on the qualifying ahead of Limbert. I met him back in 1994 when the Runoffs first ran at Mid-Ohio. He was running GT3 with us in his red/yellow car.

Good luck.

B
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 23 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #18

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Beotches!!! :finger2:

I am seriously behind on seat time this year so far. Now August will be busy as hell for work but also the month to get the car ready to run as many events as possible in Sept-Dec.

I am gonna put a passenger seat in the car this weekend, so I can find out how many instructors and students I'll be able to terrify in a single weekend! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Plus I'm gonna finish my fuel and fire system upgrades ASAP to avoid a possible Dale Jr. experience.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 24 2004, 05:08 AM
Post #19

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 24 2004, 01:21 AM)
Plus I'm gonna finish my fuel and fire system upgrades ASAP to avoid a possible Dale Jr. experience.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Yep.
One of the things I discussed with the tech official was the location of my pull handle for the fire bottle.
Since I am unable to reach it while strapped in it isn't too useful, and the corner workers usually arrive with a fire extinguisher of their own.
I actually feel better with the handheld unit until I can relocate the handle.
Of course the best thing is never to need it in the first place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jul 24 2004, 05:20 AM
Post #20

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

There are Halon units with a automatic discharge feature. It's a cable that can be dash mounted (or where ever is close) and the other end attaches to the bottle. Pull the cable and the unit opens.

There are also units with a heat sensing globe on them. When it gets too hot the globe breaks and unit dumps the gas.

Sounds like you had fun.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 06:11 PM