Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Washington 914 to Arizona
boxstr
post Apr 26 2003, 06:19 PM
Post #21

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Group: Members
Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

They may have just booked on through.
CCL
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 27 2003, 01:16 AM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

He had my cell number...and It was on all day. I hope everything is ok.

B
+Quote Post
Mike9142.0
post Apr 27 2003, 01:59 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 208
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just to let you know we roled in to Phoenix at midnight. Detals will come later must sleep now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Apr 27 2003, 02:20 AM
Post #24

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Glad to hear all you need is sleep, and not a tow! You guys got a nice car (i had my head up inside the fenders many a time) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 27 2003, 07:56 AM
Post #25

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Glad to hear you guys made it. Done it a few times myself. It's always cool when you get an old car all the way home with no major mishaps (and I oughta know). Looks like a really nice car.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 27 2003, 07:57 AM
Post #26

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Brad - FYI

I got another SMTP error when I made that last reply. Sorry, didn;t copy the error page.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Apr 27 2003, 09:47 AM
Post #27

Best friends

Member No.: 231

It's Sunday morning in Phoenix. I'm tired, but we made it! My apologies to Jeff for not calling. Rain and hills slowed us down more than we had anticipated. By the time we realized that we were going to be later even than midnight it just seemed too late to call. I hope that we didn't incovenience anyone too much.

We finally stopped at about 3:30 am at a rest area somewhere south of Fresno so we could sleep. In hind-sight it's a good thing that we kept going because we ended up spending about 5 hours in Bakersfield waiting for the car to cool down so that we could adjust valves.

It just wasn't running right when we started it after our stop. We really thought we had Weber problems because we were getting what sounded like a sharp "bark" from the driver's side carb. We found "Bart's Parts" (the local Weber distributor) and Dave helped us discover that it was timed to about 50btdc max advance and it was probably not a Weber problem. At that timing it had been running warmer than we knew (the rain & genereally cool temps probably kept the oil temp down, but Dave seemed to think the heads had gotten hot and that we had a tight valve and/or a seat that was moving around).

We discovered that instead of tight valves, we had very very very loose valves. I mean - I probably could have put a pocket knife blade between the rocker & valve before it would have had any contact. After adjusting the timing and valves the engine was much happier and we cruised over Tehachopie Pass with no problem. We still could hear a little ticking sound that we could not explain and later we developed another intermittent "popping" sound, but it kept running at the temp we liked and all else seemed well so we kept going.

So this morning's agenda is to get a torque wrench and head over to my in-laws to retorque the heads and rocker arms, readjust the valves and check the exhaust/head connections to see if we can get it to stop making those sounds. Then it will be lunch with my Mom & on up the hill to Flagstaff and home!
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Apr 27 2003, 11:40 AM
Post #28

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

Congrats on your journey and new purchase!

-Rusty
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Apr 27 2003, 07:13 PM
Post #29

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Hey, Glad you guys made it home! I was starting to worry!

I was up until past 2:00 you missed a great party!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I had a few friends over and we rocked the house and splashed all of the water from the hot tub!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Oh well your loss!!! lol

Nice car!

Jeff
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 27 2003, 07:29 PM
Post #30

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Motor is toast.

They only last about 1000 miles before they start to grenade.

I hope that is isnt... but my gut feeling is not good on this one.

B
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Apr 27 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #31

Best friends

Member No.: 231

Home at last! Got into Flagstaff at about 8:15 this evening.

All our work this morning didn't change a thing on the engine. It still backfires out the driver's side carb. I figured out that if I don't go over 3,000 rpm I don't have any problem. We're speculating that something is wrong with the intake valve on #2 and it only shows itself above 3,000 rpm. I guess we'll see.

Sorry we missed the party at Jeff's. Maybe I'll be able to do a 914 trip up the coast and catch folks one of these years. I did the trip up Hwy 1 with my wife a couple of years ago only then the agenda was to stop at every quilt store that we could find! Between her hobby & mine it's sure a good thing that I'm employed again!

Thanks for all the support from the list. You guys are really great!

Ernie
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:32 PM