Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 Therapy., New pics from Jamestown this past weekend...
BajaXJ92
post Oct 5 2011, 08:31 AM
Post #1

Extended Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,895
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well as you all may remember I was rear ended on 8/26/11. Thread is here.
'71 w/ 70K original miles totalled by the insurance company.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img17.imageshack.us-5895-1317825104.1.jpg)

Its been a LONG 6 weeks of wrestling with the other guy's insurance company, and I'm actually in the process of creating a thread on my experience(the injury side being completely seperate). It should be up in a few days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Anyways a few days after the accident I had my eye on this V8 car in Michigan. I fully blame the desire for a V8 car on Scotty B's build thread for Jim Kelly. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img12.imageshack.us-5895-1317825104.2.gif) Regardless, I think a water pumping teener is the way to go, whether its V8, subie, etc. If Jake Raby is convinced, so am I. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I picked this jewel up in Michigan the sunday before last for a song. Towed it home via Uhaul and Dolly since I couldn't get it started to drive it home. Dropped it off @ Scotty B's shop ( Kahiko Customs ) on the way home and he diagnosed it as a bad injector shorting out the entire TPI system. (Scott you can elaborate if you'd like...) As you all know, he does amazing work. As in, he deserves your first born child, although that may be more of a burden dependent on inbreeding. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img12.imageshack.us-5895-1317825104.3.gif)

I picked it up from his shop last night and drove it about 75 miles home. The fact that the intake of the TPI bulges through the firewall pushes the seat forward and kind of causes the backing to sit straight up and down when pushed all the way back. I noticed on the ride home that this keeps my back very straight. Since theres a V8 RIGHT behind the seat, its also a bit of a massage as well. Not the kind that makes your pants go from 6 to 12 noon, but feels good regardless considering the killer back pain I've been dealing with since the accident. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Hence, the term: V8 Therapy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

I'm still getting used to the car, as its an absolute BEAST, but its my new daily driver and I'm happy with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Its a '75 w/ a 305 Chevy TPI w/ '82 911SC front suspension. The car will eventually go back to Scott for backdated bumpers, flares, 8in and 9in fuchs front/rear as well as a repaint back to the original Palma Metallic green paint. Its also going to need an Evil Tranz. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img835.imageshack.us-5895-1317825104.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img828.imageshack.us-5895-1317825105.5.jpg)

Here you can kinda see the position of the seat that I mentioned above and how far the intake comes through the firewall.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img208.imageshack.us-5895-1317825105.6.jpg)

The girlfriend and I are planning to head up Route. 10 to Williamsburg this weekend to see Jamestown and hit a few Wineries as well. Pics to come. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
abnrdo
post Oct 5 2011, 08:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,820
Region Association: South East States

Ooooo another Palma Green!!! Cant wait to see it!!
-JB

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
quadracerx
post Oct 5 2011, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,366
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Very Cool....congrats....I was wondering if a TPI would fit...guess now I know...How much clearance is there between the top of the injector plenum and the engine grill? Where does it get fresh air from?

Thanks and congrats again...sorry for your loss of the original blue car though....Hope your feeling ok?

Steve
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 5 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Oct 5 2011, 07:31 AM) *

Its been a LONG 6 weeks of wrestling with the other guy's insurance company, and I'm actually in the process of creating a thread on my experience(the injury side being completely seperate). It should be up in a few days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Anyways a few days after the accident I had my eye on this V8 car in Michigan. I fully blame the desire for a V8 car on Scotty B's build thread for Jim Kelly. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img12.imageshack.us-5895-1317825104.2.gif) Regardless, I think a water pumping teener is the way to go, whether its V8, subie, etc. If Jake Raby is convinced, so am I. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I picked this jewel up in Michigan the sunday before last for a song. Towed it home via Uhaul and Dolly since I couldn't get it started to drive it home. Dropped it off @ Scotty B's shop ( Kahiko Customs ) on the way home and he diagnosed it as a bad injector shorting out the entire TPI system. (Scott you can elaborate if you'd like...) As you all know, he does amazing work. As in, he deserves your first born child, although that may be more of a burden dependent on inbreeding.

I picked it up from his shop last night and drove it about 75 miles home. The fact that the intake of the TPI bulges through the firewall pushes the seat forward and kind of causes the backing to sit straight up and down when pushed all the way back. I noticed on the ride home that this keeps my back very straight. Since theres a V8 RIGHT behind the seat, its also a bit of a massage as well. Not the kind that makes your pants go from 6 to 12 noon, but feels good regardless considering the killer back pain I've been dealing with since the accident. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Hence, the term: V8 Therapy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

I'm still getting used to the car, as its an absolute BEAST, but its my new daily driver and I'm happy with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Its a '75 w/ a 305 Chevy TPI w/ '82 911SC front suspension. The car will eventually go back to Scott for backdated bumpers, flares, 8in and 9in fuchs front/rear as well as a repaint back to the original Palma Metallic green paint. Its also going to need an Evil Tranz. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Here you can kinda see the position of the seat that I mentioned above and how far the intake comes through the firewall.

The girlfriend and I are planning to head up Route. 10 to Williamsburg this weekend to see Jamestown and hit a few Wineries as well. Pics to come. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Congrats!

BTW I see a modification to that intake that would make it fit... It involves welding aluminum though.. (JB weld might work...)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Oct 5 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #5

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

I have a couple of pics of the system both installed and during teardown that will show you guys just how intrusive the TPI setup is. I'll try to get them downloaded tonight. I'm having camera issues as of late. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

And yes, the car is a beast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Oct 5 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #6

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

I forgot I took the pics with my phone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 5 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #7

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Adam, please let me know what computer is running the TPI for your car. I am going to need to domsomething similar.
Zach
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 5 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #8

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460

that was a quick fix : )

now we need to find some BRIGHT 3rd brake lights to install in our cars.

jim
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 5 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #9

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I love that Palma green color! Its strange how accidents have unexpected silver linings. I hope the V8 continues to soothe your back pain!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 5 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Hah someone else with a v8 that comes into the cab. That looks very familiar to me. Although my drivers seat can go all the way back. In the middle & behind the passengers seat is similar. I'm short anyway at 5'8" so I have my seat up some anyway. It is really nice having access from the front though. A must with some of the v8 conversions. I just need to make a nice removable 1 piece firewall (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Oh yeah & Congrats on the new ride! Nothing like a v8 in a 914. Instant smiles driving
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Oct 5 2011, 02:02 PM
Post #11

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137

Zach it looks to be an OE GM OBD I computer that uses an EPROM. That would be in line with what year the conversion was done and the year of the donor engine.
+Quote Post
quadracerx
post Oct 5 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,366

Ok...I might have said or asked this once before? But Im old...so...Anyway someone told me it might be possible to turn the plemum around so it faces the other way (opening toward the rear)...I dont have my TPI where i can actually look...but if that was possible then it would help alot....you might have to use a different distributor/ and or cap...(I think MSD makes on called a "crab cap" but not sure...worth checking out..

Steve
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 5 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #13

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) You could machine the top of you plenum and move the throttle body. Blank off the old hole. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) In fact you could switch to a Ford 5.0 throttle body with a round 65mm opening then use aluminum tubing to make a cold air intake... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

BTW, nice score!
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Oct 5 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,479

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Cheers and I am glad you are happy with a Porshe powered by Chevy. I was asking the board a while back for thoughts of a TPI motor. I guess I know now that it can be done. It seems sort strange having the engine so close behind you. Does it get very hot inside the car?

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 5 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #15

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 5 2011, 02:40 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) You could machine the top of you plenum and move the throttle body. Blank off the old hole. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) In fact you could switch to a Ford 5.0 throttle body with a round 65mm opening then use aluminum tubing to make a cold air intake... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

BTW, nice score!

This was my thought as well! Actually I was thinking of just cutting this material out and welding it back together.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 5 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #16

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Good idea Andrew. You might even be able to mount it to the side without cutting.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 5 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #17

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

This pleases me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Oct 5 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #18

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Oct 5 2011, 07:31 AM) *

Its a '75 w/ a 305 Chevy TPI w/ '82 911SC front suspension.

Looks like a nice car. I'll be looking forward to learning more about your car and perhaps some thoughts on your TPI once you have a chance to drive it for a while. It appears you have iron vortec heads as well.

My v8 conversion is a 305 as well but carbureated. I looked into the tpi since they are dime a dozen in the junkyards, but didn't want to modify my firewall. I'm curious how the tpi effects your engine's performance. I can't be happier than my carbed motor...but then again you have to wonder.
Mark
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Oct 6 2011, 06:02 AM
Post #19

Extended Member

Member No.: 5,895

Zach - I'll get back to you this weekend with detailed pics and/or any numbers that are on the computer itself.

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 5 2011, 11:10 PM) *

Looks like a nice car. I'll be looking forward to learning more about your car and perhaps some thoughts on your TPI once you have a chance to drive it for a while. It appears you have iron vortec heads as well.

My v8 conversion is a 305 as well but carbureated. I looked into the tpi since they are dime a dozen in the junkyards, but didn't want to modify my firewall. I'm curious how the tpi effects your engine's performance. I can't be happier than my carbed motor...but then again you have to wonder.
Mark

What attracted me to the Fuel Injection was the fact that my wrecked '71 had a single weber 32/36 progressive carb that I HATED. Winter is fast approaching and I honestly didn't want to be screwing around with carb adjusting in 30 degree weather on a daily driver. The TPI motor is simply turn the key and she fires. No gas pumping, no begging, no pleading, no screwdrivers and busted knuckles at 5:30am. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

The torque in this car is absolutely beyond comprehension. It feels about as raw as an AC Cobra. At this point, I'm contemplating two sets of tires for summer and winter driving. I want to be able to keep this thing pointed in one direction. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I just walked into my office and realized that I smell like a Chevy 305. I've yet to decide whether thats a good or a bad thing, so unless someone complains, its a badge of honor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Danish
post Oct 6 2011, 08:16 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 13,648

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 11:59 PM