Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 Therapy., New pics from Jamestown this past weekend...
jimkelly
post Oct 6 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #21

Delaware USA

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

some relevant pics

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 6 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #22

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

If you went DIS, you could just flip the plenumn around.
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Oct 7 2011, 05:20 AM
Post #23

Extended Member

Member No.: 5,895

I don't see how cutting into the side of the plenum will work, Andy. Are you talking cut that area out and mount the throttle body on the side? I guess you'd have to fab a plate to block off the original throttle body location. I wonder how much, if at all, would performance be affected? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I also wonder if there'd actually be enough real estate on the side of the plenum to mount the throttle body. It might be worth it to pick up a spare plenum(considering they are indeed a dime a dozen) to try. Hell, if you guys would like to fab something like that up, I'd be more than happy to test it on my car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Aside from that, if I was any taller, (I'm 6'0) then I'd probably complain about the fact that I can't push the seat all the way back, but as stiff as the clutch is in this car, the seat sits perfectly.

If I can manage to keep my foot out of it for an entire tank, I'll post what kind of gas mileage that I'm getting. I'm going to estimate with a light foot that I'll see upwards of 25mpg. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

In regards to heat in the cabin, yes, there is a bit that manages to make it's way in from behind the seat. Not really enough to heat the cabin, but i've found a cheaper solution to heating already.
+Quote Post
Danish
post Oct 7 2011, 08:05 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 13,648

+Quote Post
scotty b
post Oct 7 2011, 08:13 AM
Post #25

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(Danish @ Oct 7 2011, 06:05 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Putting the t.b. on the side of the plenuim is a bad idea IMHO. It's not going to pull evenly into all of the cylinders. Flipping the whole assembly around is a possibility, the runners are offset on either side, and it appears you might could do that. The fuel rail might be the biggest problem there, but it too may work out not to be an issue.

Oh and btw, while these parts are plentiful, they are hardly a dime a dozen. They are very sought after by the Chevy guys for converting early carb'ed motors over to injection. 4WD crowd especially. Complete used setups are in the 400.00 range
+Quote Post
Danish
post Oct 7 2011, 08:31 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 13,648

+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Oct 7 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #27

Extended Member

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 7 2011, 10:13 AM) *

Putting the t.b. on the side of the plenuim is a bad idea IMHO. It's not going to pull evenly into all of the cylinders. Flipping the whole assembly around is a possibility, the runners are offset on either side, and it appears you might could do that. The fuel rail might be the biggest problem there, but it too may work out not to be an issue.

It'd be cool if someone else tried flipping it. I'd imagine you could do something simliar to Chappy's setup w/ his intercooler integrated into the ducktail as a cold air setup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Theres also still the worry of the distributor cap. I'd be interested to see how low the "crab" setup sits.

While its a cool idea, I don't want to lose the rear trunk space to intake tube and box, for now.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 7 2011, 09:55 AM
Post #28

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Oct 7 2011, 04:20 AM) *

I don't see how cutting into the side of the plenum will work, Andy. Are you talking cut that area out and mount the throttle body on the side? I guess you'd have to fab a plate to block off the original throttle body location. I wonder how much, if at all, would performance be affected? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I also wonder if there'd actually be enough real estate on the side of the plenum to mount the throttle body. It might be worth it to pick up a spare plenum(considering they are indeed a dime a dozen) to try. Hell, if you guys would like to fab something like that up, I'd be more than happy to test it on my car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Aside from that, if I was any taller, (I'm 6'0) then I'd probably complain about the fact that I can't push the seat all the way back, but as stiff as the clutch is in this car, the seat sits perfectly.

If I can manage to keep my foot out of it for an entire tank, I'll post what kind of gas mileage that I'm getting. I'm going to estimate with a light foot that I'll see upwards of 25mpg. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

In regards to heat in the cabin, yes, there is a bit that manages to make it's way in from behind the seat. Not really enough to heat the cabin, but i've found a cheaper solution to heating already.

You wont get over 20mpg, RPM is the limiting factor here. Those v8's need to cruise at 1500rpms to get over 25mpg, and we cruise at 3k rpms...

My thought was to cut that area I highlighted out and reweld throttle body plate on. However if you can, a block off plate then machining a new throttle body area would work.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 7 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #29

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Oct 7 2011, 04:20 AM) *

The performance impact would be minimal due to the vertical runners design. The perfomance is in the runners. The plenum perfomance is based on volume more than shape.
+Quote Post
quadracerx
post Oct 7 2011, 01:38 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 6,366
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Here are a couple of solutions I think might work....

one is for use with a crank trigger ignition and the other is a "front distributior conversion"

This inconjuction with a "flipped plenum" might work?

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Distri...istributor.aspx

Lets keep this going...the curiosity is killing me...LOL

Steve
+Quote Post
burton73
post Oct 7 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #31

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

I had an engine with a pretty TPI on it. I had to think this out for my self

The idea of putting the distributor in the front may work. I did not look at that and now I am set in my direction with the Hot Cam Kit from GM. The idea of the TPI injection is plug and play. No dicking around. Great if you have the room in the car but I live in Los Angeles and the car will run fine when tuned right.

I have a TPI that I pulled from my 1987 Corvette engine that is powered coated in a chrome like finish, Freshly done on my rebuild engine. I went through this and decided to go with a 750 crab to make the big Horsepower and torque with the factory hot cam kit from GM.

If someone wants to get a TPI full injection all you would need is the computer and the EZ wire kit. I have one with All the parts that Jim is showing on the top of the posting.

I am 6 ft tall and I can just fit in my 914’s having the seat any amount would not work for me

Bob Burton
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Oct 8 2011, 04:43 AM
Post #32

Extended Member

QUOTE(quadracerx @ Oct 7 2011, 03:38 PM) *

Here are a couple of solutions I think might work....

one is for use with a crank trigger ignition and the other is a "front distributior conversion"

This inconjuction with a "flipped plenum" might work?

Lets keep this going...the curiosity is killing me...LOL

Steve

For the price, it looks like the "crab" cap is the way to go. However, I don't see a replacement rotor under the replacement parts tab. Does it not have one inside? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

$600 for that remote front drive is entirely too much! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Also thinking a little farther into the whole flipped plenum and rear trunk intake, it'd be fairly tough to retain enough room in the rear trunk to be able to stick the top in it should you want to remove and take it with you. In all honesty, I'll be sticking with what I've got. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Oct 8 2011, 10:45 AM
Post #33

Extended Member

I'm sure most of you know Bobby Smith.

I just let him drive this car and he thinks it might be faster than his 3.2L 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

His 3.2L /6
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img830.imageshack.us-5895-1318092642.1.jpg)

His 2.8L /4 AX Car
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img221.imageshack.us-5895-1318092642.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Oct 13 2011, 06:59 AM
Post #34

Extended Member

The girlfriend and I took the Ferry over to Jamestown in Williamsburg, VA this past weekend.

A few pics of the car....

Getting ready to hop on the Ferry from Scotland to Jamestown..
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img690.imageshack.us-5895-1318510754.1.jpg)

Squeezed onto the Ferry...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img406.imageshack.us-5895-1318510755.2.jpg)

Overlooking the James River....Jamestown is about 1mile north.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img62.imageshack.us-5895-1318510755.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img94.imageshack.us-5895-1318510755.4.jpg)

Butt shot.....she doesn't know about this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img202.imageshack.us-5895-1318510756.5.jpg)

Parts arriving....new shift bushings and locking lug nuts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img508.imageshack.us-5895-1318510756.6.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img194.imageshack.us-5895-1318510756.7.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img37.imageshack.us-5895-1318510756.8.jpg)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 10:15 AM