Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

32 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zach's Carbs to Microsquirt conversion thread, 7/20/18 update
toon1
post May 20 2015, 09:24 AM
Post #361

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,022

QUOTE(McMark @ May 19 2015, 03:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 18 2015, 06:53 PM) *
I still have a few mysteries to work out with the spark tables. I set the offset to 295 degrees per Mark's instructions, but did not see where to set the initial cranking advance to 12 degrees. Still in the steep part of the learning curve for this software.
Zach

There is no cranking advance that I remember. When confirming the timing for the first time, just set the entire spark map to 12 degrees. This way you don't have to worry about the MicroSquirt changing the timing due to RPM or MAP fluctuations. Then start the engine with your timing light attached. Set your timing light to 12 degrees, and use the Trigger Wizard to adjust the Offset Angle until you see the ZERO mark on the fan.

You want to set "base timing" first. If you have your trigger wheel set up the way Megasquirt recommends, your base timing will be at 10*BTDC.

You will want to mark 10* on the fan. Once the engine is running this is the first thing you want to set. This is done in tuner studios by changing "base timing" to +10 and moving the numbers up and down ( don't remember the box that the numbers are changed in) until you see your 10* mark come around to the 'V" in the fan housing. This is very important, Otherwise your timing WILL be way off, the computer WILL be lost and you will never get the engine to run correctly.

Ask me how I know.

Also, in later versions of, MSII and MSIII, you can change cranking timing and WU enrichment timing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 20 2015, 09:58 AM
Post #362

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(toon1 @ May 20 2015, 08:24 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 19 2015, 03:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 18 2015, 06:53 PM) *
I still have a few mysteries to work out with the spark tables. I set the offset to 295 degrees per Mark's instructions, but did not see where to set the initial cranking advance to 12 degrees. Still in the steep part of the learning curve for this software.
Zach

There is no cranking advance that I remember. When confirming the timing for the first time, just set the entire spark map to 12 degrees. This way you don't have to worry about the MicroSquirt changing the timing due to RPM or MAP fluctuations. Then start the engine with your timing light attached. Set your timing light to 12 degrees, and use the Trigger Wizard to adjust the Offset Angle until you see the ZERO mark on the fan.

You want to set "base timing" first. If you have your trigger wheel set up the way Megasquirt recommends, your base timing will be at 10*BTDC.

You will want to mark 10* on the fan. Once the engine is running this is the first thing you want to set. This is done in tuner studios by changing "base timing" to +10 and moving the numbers up and down ( don't remember the box that the numbers are changed in) until you see your 10* mark come around to the 'V" in the fan housing. This is very important, Otherwise your timing WILL be way off, the computer WILL be lost and you will never get the engine to run correctly.

Ask me how I know.

Also, in later versions of, MSII and MSIII, you can change cranking timing and WU enrichment timing.

REMEMBER this is theMicroSquirt firmware. So menu options and settings are drastically different. If you haven't played around with it, TunerStudio completely changes depending on what firmware is installed. It's actually pretty annoying.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 20 2015, 06:38 PM
Post #363

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Tried to start it tonight for giggles.
No dice.

No fuel leaks that I could see. But also no indication that the system was actually pressurizing. The gas tank made some gurgling noises after the pump would run.

No clue if the pump is wired backwards or the lines under the tank are kinked or some other issue. Only had 5 minutes to play before I got called in for parenting duties. Really need to get that pressure gauge put in...
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 20 2015, 06:58 PM
Post #364

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Got fuel in the tank?

Good luck, you are closing in on it.
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 20 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #365

914 Freak!

Gotta cycle the key a few times to purge all the air.
+Quote Post
Michelj13
post May 21 2015, 12:27 AM
Post #366

Member No.: 2,122
Region Association: Southern California

I have Mark's sensor/wheel but my base offset timing is set at 62 degrees. Mark has told me to set it closer to 290, but, I never had any luck with this setting. Not sure how to explain it, but, my car runs very well.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 21 2015, 12:57 PM
Post #367

En Garde!

Cool. The gurgling I was hearing was likely air getting forced into the tank through the return line. Which would indicate the pump is working properly.

Going to hook an inductive timing light to one of the stubby plug wires to mKe sure I am getting spark.

Going t try and get her fired up this weekend, if I can squeeze in some time. This weekend is f¥€king packed.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 21 2015, 02:13 PM
Post #368

En Garde!

Okay, few steps forwards!
and one biggie back.

Fuel system is pressurized, with no obvious leaks. Fuel pump now sounds a little labored, and not just like its free wheeling. No clue how much pressure it has built (those parts come in tomorrow) but it sounds pressurized, and the tank is not gurgling when I turn the key.

Oil pressure warning light went out. YEAH! Which means I was cranking the engine enough to send oil through all the oil lines into the AUX cooler and then to finally build pressure. And no obvious oil leaks (which is meaningless until the engine fires.)

But I'm not getting any spark. Inductance timing light does not flash at all when cranking. I did not expect to have the timing right, but I did expect to at least see some evidence of sparks being thrown.

Obvious possible fault will be the plug I wired into the crank wheel wires. Will have to check them. If thats not it, more digging will be needed.

Zach
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 21 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #369

914 Freak!

You should see cranking RPM on your laptop.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 21 2015, 02:37 PM
Post #370

En Garde!

Nope, the tach in TunerStudio does not budge. Just tested that.

Crank fire wires?

ZAch
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 21 2015, 02:45 PM
Post #371

914 Freak!

Under Ignition Setup -> Base Ignition Settings, try flipping the Ignition Input Capture. If it's falling edge, try rising edge. This is how you 'flip the VR wires' in software.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 21 2015, 02:52 PM
Post #372

En Garde!

Nope, no dice there either. (handy having a laptop while standing at the car...)
Attached Image

Are these correct?

I am going to check continuity just make sure the pins in the plug are actually mating as expected.

Zach
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 21 2015, 02:57 PM
Post #373

914 Freak!

Check the Dual MultiSpark Ignition Options Menu
Single Crank Wheel Input
Enable Auto Trigger
Offset Advance 0.0
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post May 21 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #374

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

after reading the pages with various information here, my acquired 71 1.7 has a megasquirt installed. After the car was not running because of broken rear suspension (which is almost done fixing it) what i did is just install a battery and started the engine with just one time turn on the ignition key, the engine run and immediately went around 700 to 800 rpm. Amazing megasquirt!!! But since i have to drop the engine to fix the suspension, now I don't know if after putting back those several wiring if the car will still run. I have no idea on this MS specially I'm not the one who installed it.

Here is the picture of my MS system. I beleived it is MS III.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 21 2015, 03:27 PM
Post #375

En Garde!

Mark what are the flow rates on your injectors? And do you happen to know the plenum volume for a 1.8 plenum?

Zach
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 21 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #376

914 Freak!

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 21 2015, 02:27 PM) *

Mark what are the flow rates on your injectors? And do you happen to know the plenum volume for a 1.8 plenum?

Zach

23.8 pph @ 36.5 psi, so you'll have to scale down and approximate for the low PSI, or raise your fuel pressure before you start tuning. You can do either (I've done it both ways), but running higher fuel pressure is generally better because it improves injector atomization.

Can't help on the plenum volume.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 21 2015, 05:09 PM
Post #377

En Garde!

Does plenum volume include intake runners? I suppose I could just fill it with water and measure that.
Won't THAT be a fun task.
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 21 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #378

914 Freak!

I've never done all that. I don't even know what section you're looking in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 21 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #379

En Garde!

General fuel setup. One of the fields is plenum size in CC.
Sounds like I don't need to worry about it.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 22 2015, 09:49 AM
Post #380

En Garde!

back on the bench again. :-/

After weeks of connecting, I plug in this morning and suddenly nothing. Only difference was that I put my battery on a charger last night due to all the cranking yesterday.

Get frusterated, and hook up the ECU the Mark lent me - boom. Connection. I have to reload settings, but it connects instantly.

So now i have my ECU out of the car trying to get it to connect again in lab conditions.

A few days ago I tried to load the new firmware, but that operation errored out. I am going to try and redo that on the bench, and hope the new firmware expunges some of the gremlins that have been plaguing me.
Zach
+Quote Post

32 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:43 PM