Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intake hose/gasket replacement
jdogg
post Apr 25 2003, 11:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 204

Any one got an easy way to do this?('72 2.0) Just took a quick look tonight, looks like engine tin will have to be removed. I just want to replace the intake hoses. Any suggestions for simplicity's sake? Brad? You're always good for a step by step for newbies!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 25 2003, 11:10 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Undo the three bolts and yank them off. The tin doesnt have to come off. Sometimes the tin hangs over a little...but it will move out of the way as you pull them off.

This will sound like shit... but:

What makes you think they need to be replaced ?? Did you do a break clean test while the car was running around the intake manifolds (near the 3 bolts ??) or do you just want to do them ??

I ask because it is quite a bit of work and unless you found a problem...

B
+Quote Post
jdogg
post Apr 26 2003, 08:26 AM
Post #3

Brad - I have been chasing hunting idle and lean conditions on this car. I have checked for vacuum leaks everywhere, replaced all hoses, disconnected decel valve, cleaned up aar vavle per your directions, sprayed carb clean everywhere, adjusted valves, adjusted fuel pressure, timing, head temp sensor, adjusted TPS,blah, blah, balh. The car just seems to be sucking too much air. The plugs show a lean burn (white) and the idle hunts all over the place, cold or warm, 400-900 mostly, sometimes when cold up to 13-1600. I have the brain turned to almost full rich. I get some back firing when cold and once in awhile with light throttle pressure under load. Anyway, I thought that maybe I just don't have a good enough ear for finding leaks, so I might as well just replace all the gaskets in the intake path to eliminate that. I have not done a compression or leak down test on this yet, so I have no data there. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!!!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 26 2003, 10:43 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Intake plenum is cracked or the throttle bdy shaft is worn out.

While the car is running.. shoot WD40/brake cleaner/something.. around the raised portion of the plenum that the throttle body sits on. They tend to crack underneath and cause lean problems (and you can't see it).

If the idle doesnt change or the car doesnt die... shoot some of the WD/CARB/Brake stuff around the throttle shaft.

Just too eleminate the AAR.. plug the hose.

The 2 things I listed above should only take about 15 minutes to check. Leave the air cleaner off...

I'm surprised more people dont chat about broken 2.0 plenums on these lists.. we run across ones that need to be brazed at least 3 times a month. People dont adjust the throttle stop correctly at the pedal board or they dont have a pedal board and the cable yanks on the throttle body causing the plenum to stress crack.

B
+Quote Post
jdogg
post Apr 26 2003, 11:08 AM
Post #5

Thanks, Brad. After I adjust the valves this afternoon, I will try that. Is brazing the only way to fix it? How 'bout a cheesy fiberglass repair, will it hold up? I'll check back with what I find.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 26 2003, 11:12 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Sometimes... we cant even fix them because the crack runs underneath that raised portion and we have to replace it.

Let us know.

B
+Quote Post
jdogg
post Apr 26 2003, 11:17 AM
Post #7

I'm praying for throttle body shaft!!! (I have an extra TB!) Better get my ass back to work, AX tomorrow!!
+Quote Post
jdogg
post Apr 27 2003, 04:31 PM
Post #8

Follow up to yesterday....adjusted the valves, started the car up and backed it out of the garage so I could start spraying carb clean to look for a cracked mainfold or leaky throttle shaft.
Get out of the car to get the carb clean and think "Man, it is idling good! Let's let it sit for a while." Let it sit, then drove it, then let it sit, idle still OK!!!!!!! I must have screwed up the last valve adjust, and got this one right!! I really didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but it sure the hell did!!!
I never did look for the leak, went to AX today, the car ran great and I had a ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Apr 27 2003, 05:22 PM
Post #9

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Right on JDogg (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Kinda makes ya feel good to know that something you did made it run right, eh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
What pisses me off is getting it to run right but not know what I did that fixed it or why it fixed it if I figure out what it is that I did.
Whew! I don't even understand that last sentence (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
Oh well... good job Mon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
bruce
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 27 2003, 05:41 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Good job.

You where second guessing your valve adjustment...

B
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:32 PM