Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A few pics from the first trip in my 914 since paint, etc., (heavy on the etc. — and that's just the beginning)
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 19 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

So that I don't derail the RR4 picture thread, I'll start a new one.

I sort of taped the last few things together and drove my 1973 914 down to Rennsport Reunion IV, because I knew that, if I didn't, I would never get past the "it's almost ready" mentality. So it wheezed, wind-noised, and squeaked its way down there, but man was it fun to drive a 914 to Laguna and back again for the first time in many years! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(Even if I was listening to every sound it made (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) )

So, without further ado, here's two shots outside of the Porsche Race Car Classic (couldn't resist, the light was so nice) followed by a few shots from the Monday after one of the greatest Porsche events I've ever been to, just before I pointed up Hwy 1 and stuck to the water all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge.

pete

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 19 2011, 07:37 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 19 2011, 06:29 PM) *

So that I don't derail the RR4 picture thread, I'll start a new one.

I sort of taped the last few things together and drove my 1973 914 down to Rennsport Reunion IV, because I knew that, if I didn't, I would never get past the "it's almost ready" mentality. So it wheezed, wind-noised, and squeaked its way down there, but man was it fun to drive a 914 to Laguna and back again for the first time in many years! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(Even if I was listening to every sound it made (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) )

So, without further ado, here's a few shots from the Monday after one of the greatest Porsche events I've ever been to, just before I pointed up Hwy 1 and stuck to the water all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge.

pete

I am with you....if it is at Laguna next time...I am driving mine....squeaks noises whatever...going up through Big Sur was an unbelievable drive that day.

Looks like you parked it in Pacific Grove for the pic....oh...nice car BTW.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 19 2011, 07:49 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Monday...Pacific Grove, indeed.

A lot of 914world vendors to thank for this car...and quite a few members, too. NOS top from a certain Chicagoan, Engman longs, app spoiler, a certain trick interior piece from Thomas B., Eric Shea's front and rear brakes (those front Brembo calipers are, as the Italians say, "very nice!"), and more — I am very thankful for our vendors!

I'll have to get a proper list together at some point, as well as some proper pics with a real camera.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

pete

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 19 2011, 07:57 PM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Absolutely stunning. Even with the average photo quality. Pete, what size are your tyres. They look so retro cool!
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 19 2011, 08:08 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Lighthouse...Golden Gate Bridge...home. (phew, it made it!)

If these photos have inspired even one fellow 14er to finish up their car, then they've done their job. This project started here, with a car I kinda wish I hadn't taken apart. The "while we're in there" turned into way more than I expected, and now it looks like I am really going to the dark side, with a small-bore six conversion... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

This is where I started:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=fun+with+rust

pete

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 19 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 19 2011, 06:57 PM) *

Absolutely stunning. Even with the average photo quality. Pete, what size are your tyres. They look so retro cool!

They get a bit better (at least on my computer) if you click on the thumbnails, but this camera has its limitations!

185/70R15s. These are NOS (stored correctly) Yoko A-008Rs. Sadly, they are all right-hand tires, so the rotation is wrong on the left side. Not sure why they're directional as the tread isn't. Anyway, they look cool but the sidewalls are too stiff for my intended usage, the directional is off, and they'll probably come off before I really start driving the car on back roads.

I am looking for the right 195/65R15 or 205/60R15, but it is HARD to find the "right" tire for an old sports car in these sizes....

pete
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Oct 19 2011, 08:19 PM
Post #7

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Pete,

Ooh I love your RED paint, the only real, real red. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) I noticed your tac @ 3K+ or about 70-mph. Good cruising speed to drown out those pesky noises. Great finish to a long re-do.

Tom

+Quote Post
Krieger
post Oct 19 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Looks great Pete! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) Beatiful! Great job stickin' to it. Redwoods got a drive Saturday out of Novato.....meet at Chevy's@ 9 am. I'd love to see it.
+Quote Post
pete000
post Oct 19 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Saw your car at the hotel and at the track, looked great !

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 19 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Your car is way to nice. I hate you! And i mean that in a good way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Btw. did those magazines ever make it to Germany? I haven't heard anything ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Black22
post Oct 19 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That is one NICE 914!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 19 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #12

Hey nice rack! -Celette

I know what you mean about locating the tires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I ended up replacing my 15X8's with Yoko's for 16's and now I'm having trouble finding a matching set of staggered rubber for those. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I knew those were some vintage rubber. They really time warp the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 19 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2011, 07:33 PM) *

Your car is way to nice. I hate you! And i mean that in a good way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Btw. did those magazines ever make it to Germany? I haven't heard anything ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Love and hate, it's all good. I understand! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Just sent a package today. I give up after this... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

pete
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 19 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 19 2011, 07:46 PM) *

I know what you mean about locating the tires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I ended up replacing my 15X8's with Yoko's for 16's and now I'm having trouble finding a matching set of staggered rubber for those. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I knew those were some vintage rubber. They really time warp the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Wondering if there is a way to petition Yoko to do a run of 195/65R15 and 215/60R15 AVS Intermediates. Everyone I talk to LOVED those tires, and I'd be willing to pay up for a set. Tread looks right, and so do the sidewalls, plenty of grip, nice charateristics, and two sizes that 356, 912, 914, and 15-inch 911 guys could all use.

Not to mention the British and other German car owners....

pete
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 19 2011, 09:02 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 19 2011, 07:23 PM) *

Redwoods got a drive Saturday out of Novato.....meet at Chevy's@ 9 am. I'd love to see it.

Hmm...not ready for a drive yet, but maybe I might see y'all off?

pete
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 19 2011, 09:23 PM
Post #16

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 19 2011, 10:01 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 19 2011, 07:46 PM) *

Wondering if there is a way to petition Yoko to do a run of 195/65R15 and 215/60R15 AVS Intermediates. Everyone I talk to LOVED those tires, and I'd be willing to pay up for a set. Tread looks right, and so do the sidewalls, plenty of grip, nice charateristics, and two sizes that 356, 912, 914, and 15-inch 911 guys could all use.

Not to mention the British and other German car owners....

pete

I agree, I wonder what it would take. Those tires are legendary. They allowed the car to work without a sacrifice in ride quality.

Yokohama has a way of dropping tire lines. I had a vintage set of 245/50/15's and 215/60/15 Yoko's. Wore out the 245's could even get a 245/50/15 anything... Changed wheels to 16/8-9's purchased 265/50/16 and 225/50/16's wore out the 265's a year later tried to get the same 265... NLA! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I had to change to a Dunlop and purchase 4 tires instead of two. I hate em.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Oct 19 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #17

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Nice 914, and IMHO.....

One of the best - if not the best 914 drive in the lower 48, form Heast/San Simeon to Santa Cruz section especially!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

.... so long as you miss tourist season that is, so you get to run 'er up on those twisties. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

We used to do it every year as a group of buddies with their sports cars (read 1 person -= 1 car) "back in the day" (70's-80's), & played "double the speed limit" (2x yellow caution speed signs) & usually only the 914s with us could do it.

Now get some nice center caps on those purdy Fuchs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 19 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #18

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

It looks amazing Pete! We share the same brakes up front by the way. Stops like a dream! Bring it out to Infinion on November 19th. I plan to drive my car at the Sacramento Valley Region Autocross in the Paddock with the new engine. You can see my engine and Mark and I can see your car... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 19 2011, 11:23 PM
Post #19

Hey nice rack! -Celette

I just clicked on the photos! WOW! The images sharped up nicely! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Oct 20 2011, 06:47 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

very nice! love the color.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 01:59 AM