Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crack Head, Looking for some advice.......
Jake Raby
post Aug 3 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

You can TIG up those cracks... Use more argon and a #5 tip... The crack has to be drilled completely away first though..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
John
post Aug 3 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #22

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

They crack going away from the seat in the exhaust port. I have also seen them crack in the short turn radius.

Well then I may be in luck, as I can't find any evidence of any cracks. I even tried the wipe them down with solvent and blow off with compressed air trick and couldn't find any places where solvent would wick out of any cracks.

I've heard it's also a good idea to take a large file to the SS HE tubes. I used a black marker on the ends of the face of the tubes where they connect to the heads. Take the large file to BOTH tubes at the same time and slowly file them square to each other. When the black is all gone, they should be pretty square.

It may be that when I swapped heads way back that i temporarily solved the leaky heat exchanger to head. I spent a bunch of time back then filing the ends square (and square to each other). Perhaps over time the stainless has moved enough to cause another leak or they may have developed cracks at the ears.

In any event, it sounds like I will once again remove the heat ducts and heat exchanger from the drivers side and re-file the ends and check for any cracks (and re-TIG weld them) in the pipes near the ears.

Brad, since it sounds like you do many more of these than I do, what do you recommend as far as torque for the nuts holding the heat exchanger tubes to the heads? Also do you use copper lock nuts (or what fasteners do you use)?
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 3 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I use 12mm copper nuts with M8 flat washers. When I install them I utilize a 1/4 drive ratchet and a 12mm swivel socket. The 1/4 inch drive shorty ratchet keeps me from over torquing them during the install. I set them after the initial install to 12ft lbs.

Jake,

I'll talk to them again.... for years and years now they tell us they cant (TechCraft) I literally have access to over 50 pairs of heads if not more that need to be repaired. Maybe they cant get in there to drill.. I have no idea.. they oculd be blowing smoke up my ass for all I know.

B
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 01:42 AM