Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Targa Seal Installation, Need Some Pointers
kconway
post Oct 22 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

I'm installing a new targa seal and need some eyes on this. I removed the old one so long ago I can't remember if something is missing. The horizontal member seems empty and the seal doesn't stay put. Am I missing something or should something go on before the seal in photo 1?

In photo 2, I'm wondering about the little flap on the a-pilar seal land. The little flap seems long and prevents the seal from seating in the corner at the transistion to the horizontal member. Does that flap stay on or do I snap it off?

Kev

Photo 1

Attached Image

Photo 2

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MDG
post Oct 22 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #2

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

In photo 1, do you mean the inner targa seal?

Photo 2 - no you do not snap those flimsy, PITA - did I say flimsy - tabs off. There is a slit inside the channel of the seal. You carefully work that tab into it. It anchors the seal at the corner where it makes a right angle down the side. I did say it's a pain in the ass, right?
+Quote Post
ellisor3
post Oct 22 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #3

HPWhore

Member No.: 9,683
Region Association: South East States

Thre are 2 parts to the targa seal, an inner seal and the longer outerseal.

I did trim that little tab back some, especially if you have Mikey's kit. I found that mine was to long and caused it not to go all the way down. I also had to use some 3M sealant on the top of the targa seal where it meets the the area above the windshield, otherwise it will simply pull out when you remove the top.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 22 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Yes you are missing the lower targa seal. I just dropped you a set of instructions I use for my main seal. You can PM me if you need any info. I think the one you bought was mine so it should be a pretty quick install. Hoyland and I swapped his out in about 15 min. in the parking lot of the hotel I stay in.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 22 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #5

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

I did the swap with Marks help. Be sure you lube the sides so the rubber slips easily down the channeling. I used glycerine I bought at CVS.

The tricky part was the corner plugs. I had one side askew a tiny bit. Mark showed me the way. The upper end of the channeling could be a tad to long to fit into the plug as well.

Kevin, the flap has to be shortened about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. It still has to slip into the plug.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kconway
post Oct 22 2011, 04:05 PM
Post #6

I think I have to shorten that tab. Here's what it looks like. I can't get the horizontal across the top to stay in place it just flops back down. This is a seal I bought from the Porsche dealer about 5 years ago.

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 22 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #7

The rubber man

Kevin,
There is a short piece of an clip seal that the extrusion is designed to mold to, you will need that, as that's what holds the seal in place.
+Quote Post
kconway
post Oct 22 2011, 04:33 PM
Post #8

I think I'm missing a "Inner Clip" for the horizontal?

Kev
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 22 2011, 04:41 PM
Post #9

The rubber man

You are, if you can't find it, I can send you another one no problem. Also the corner can be held up if the inner corner is not lined up correctly. I just sent you a copy of the instructions to your email, check out pg 2-3 refered to as "B". It could be that. or call me and I can talk you through it.
-Mark
+Quote Post
MDG
post Oct 22 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #10

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 22 2011, 06:30 PM) *

Kevin,
There is a short piece of an clip seal that the extrusion is designed to mold to, you will need that, as that's what holds the seal in place.

+1 on that. Also make sure that tab isn't folding up on itself like an accordion. One of mine did that and if so it will not seat in properly. Patience and the odd expletive is what is called for on these. If it is a factory seal you should not have to trim that tab.

There is a kind of pinch clip molded into the seal at the corners that those tabs go into; when you are stretching the seals across the frame, the pressure can squeeze them shut. Use something dull like a butter knife in the seal and try to open them up a bit - the tabs should be easier to slide in.
+Quote Post
HansJan
post Oct 8 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello,
Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions for the front targa seal (that Mark is talking about)?

I rather not bother Mark at the moment.

Ps: any other pointers to installing seals are welcome. My car will come back from painter this week and most body/door seals need to be reinstalled.
+Quote Post
1adam12
post Jan 13 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 21,132

Okay, this is my 7th attempt at trying to install the main targa seal. I keep getting hung up with the upright seal channel. Using glycerin now and only getting 5 inches or so down the channel and then nothing.

Definitely frustrating especially with the current downpour of rain were getting now and I have to mask off the targa and window gaps in between attempts.

This is the 914 Rubber version.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 13 2019, 01:15 PM
Post #13

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Don't try and slide the seal down, it will only increase your desire to say bad words.

Push the inside lip of the vertical part in the channel and the work the outer lip into the channel with a flat screwdriver, or a plastic glass install tool. Attached Image

First thing to do is make sure the corners fit correctly in/on the aluminum tab that sticks out, don't proceed until you get this to fit right, and smoothly.

I do each side first and then start in the center and work outboard (going back and forth) a little at a time. Once you get it fit perfectly you can put a couple crimps in the channel to keep the seal in place. There should be some witness marks from where this was done at the factory.
+Quote Post
1adam12
post Jan 13 2019, 02:15 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jan 13 2019, 11:15 AM) *

Don't try and slide the seal down, it will only increase your desire to say bad words.

Push the inside lip of the vertical part in the channel and the work the outer lip into the channel with a flat screwdriver, or a plastic glass install tool. Attached Image

First thing to do is make sure the corners fit correctly in/on the aluminum tab that sticks out, don't proceed until you get this to fit right, and smoothly.

I do each side first and then start in the center and work outboard (going back and forth) a little at a time. Once you get it fit perfectly you can put a couple crimps in the channel to keep the seal in place. There should be some witness marks from where this was done at the factory.

Thanks for the install tips. I tried this method in my third attempt but I'll give it a go again. I understand fitting the seal on that tab is crucial and may need to be trimmed a little. I cut myself on that damn thing once already so here we go!
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Jan 13 2019, 03:10 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I am working on a video to help but I don't have it edited yet. You can OM me and I will send you a link of the raw video files to help you in the meantime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 4 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

I.m soing this soon.

How was the outcome?
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 4 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

So I'm Doing the lower seal this weekend. It's done raining for now.

So I PM'd Mark for instructions.

I understand for JUST to replace the lower targa seal:

Fit the corners first and then the center (the notch should be center), and then push the seal into the channel from the center outwards?

Does anybody have a picture of fitting the lower seal into the corner piece?

Thanks in Advance.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 9 2019, 01:26 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
1adam12
post Feb 9 2019, 02:24 PM
Post #19

I fi ally had success with this install the other week. I started with the top portion first going from center and working outwards to the corners. Once at the corners, you can determine how much you need to trim the metal tabs to make a flush fit.
At the lower portion (vertical seals) the suggestion of working inside first in the channels and then using a flat edge tool to punch the outer side into the channel worked perfectly! Definitely use some glycerin which you can find at you local CVS store.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 9 2019, 03:56 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

QUOTE(1adam12 @ Feb 9 2019, 12:24 PM) *

I fi ally had success with this install the other week. I started with the top portion first going from center and working outwards to the corners. Once at the corners, you can determine how much you need to trim the metal tabs to make a flush fit.
At the lower portion (vertical seals) the suggestion of working inside first in the channels and then using a flat edge tool to punch the outer side into the channel worked perfectly! Definitely use some glycerin which you can find at you local CVS store.

What about if you are only replacing the lower targa seal?

Should you unclip the top and side or should you just trim it square and be done with it?

Any info is appreciated.

I'll post a pic later.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:18 PM