Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Targa Seal Installation, Need Some Pointers
914_teener
post Feb 9 2019, 09:02 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Heard from Mark.

The answer was to miter the lower seal. I used the old one on the side where it wasn't falling apart.

I'll post a pic later for anyone else.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VG-914
post Nov 15 2020, 12:44 PM
Post #22

777AIA

Member No.: 12,980
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am starting this task and see a lot of directly communicated info not placed on the forum. Does anybody know if it was posted? ...or any of the followup pics mentioned?
Tx
+Quote Post
morsmanlaw
post Nov 16 2020, 03:13 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 16,308
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(VG-914 @ Nov 15 2020, 12:44 PM) *

I am starting this task and see a lot of directly communicated info not placed on the forum. Does anybody know if it was posted? ...or any of the followup pics mentioned?
Tx

I did this task just this past weekend. I watched the 914Rubber video on it several times and while it did help, getting the sides into the chrome trim wasn't as easy as they made it look. I do recommend trimming a bit off of the metal tabs - I did it on the passenger side, but it was too late to do the driver's, and I wish I had. An early poster on this thread mentioned having to use sealant at one top corner to hold it down, and I had the same experience, but if I had trimmed the tab on that side, it may have prevented the need to do so.
+Quote Post
double-a
post Nov 16 2020, 05:49 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

this spring i replaced my decaying factory seal with the 914rubber reproduction. it's a great product but the install still took me awhile. a few things worked for me:
  • as others have noted, prepare an assortment of your favorite swears and swear combinations in advance
  • test-fit the top corners to judge how much tab to remove. i had to trim off quite a bit
  • the side channels are pinched at the factory to hold the seal in place. after removing the old seal, use a screwdriver or other tool to reposition the pinched bits so that the new seal snaps in smoothly
  • starting at the top corners, get the top of the pillar seal seated, popping the back side in first, then the front side, using a plastic spudger to work the seal into its groove a little at a time. use a dull tool!
  • then press the top seal from each end towards the center, careful not to create a bulge of slack
  • go over everything again, pressing hard on the seal to ensure it's fully seated all around
  • trim off the extra rubber on the side seals using hand soap and a sharp razor blade

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 16 2020, 06:12 PM
Post #25

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

A big issue is the screw in the corner blocks inside the cabin. So small they often get missed. The help hold it in and need to be removed to take the old one out.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:12 AM