Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Charging System, Comments on my diagnosis please
HarveyH
post Oct 22 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 843

Well, I've been having some charging problems. Cleaned all the battery connections. Checked the Voltage regulation and found it was regulating a bit low, 12.4 Volts. Also did a field test per various writeups on the site, voltage tracks RPM up to 16+ Volts at 3200 RPM.

Got a new electronic voltage regulator: it didn't regulate at all, voltage tracked RPM as with the field test above.

Got another new electronic regulator . Checked regulation and it's not stable up to about 3100 RPM when it levels out at about 14.5 Volts. During runup it goes as high as about 15.4V. I'm still getting an alternator light

Brand new battery installed. Continues as above.

Cleaned the contact points of the old mechanical regulator and adjusted the vibrator points tension to get it to regulate at 14.5V. Much more stable than the electronic regulation at lower RPM's. Still get the alternator light.

Bad diodes in the alternator????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Thinking the poor stability of the regulation with the electronic VR is that it's more influenced by AC than the mechanical regulator.

Thanks,
Harvey
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:34 AM