Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: So do the Amish mind..., a 914 burning through their beautiful countrysides?
TargaToy
post Oct 23 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #1

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I was in Lancaster County, PA for a couple days this past week with my wife and we were enjoying the amazing beauty of the outlying countryside. Tracked down a few covered bridges and generally enjoyed getting off the beaten path and taking some pictures.

As we tooled along, I just kept thinking: "Man, I wish I was in my 914 right now." Some of those roads have the best banked turns, multiple curves, hills, dips, etc.

Do you local guys ever take advantage or is that not cool, given the heritage and serenity of the area? Is that something you guys do when you converge on Hershey?

Cuz....if you say it's OK, I'm bringin' it!! (when it's off jack stands one day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) )
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Oct 23 2011, 03:10 PM
Post #2

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) It's not like their going to whip out a cell phone and call the cops on ya (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
HarveyH
post Oct 23 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 843

Years ago I was working on a project down in Dover De. Went for a drive around the back roads after work one evening and saw a buggy coming toward me. As we came together I noticed some sort of square sticker under the center of the windshield and as we passed I looked over to see what it was.

A Harley Davidson sticker....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Harvey
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 23 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #4

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

I would say go for it. Haven't been to Lancaster in a while, but the last time I was there I found a guy who sold old beer steins. Found some local (as in Maryland) beer glasses from a bygone age.

Those Amish buggies just might give a 1.8 a run for their money! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
jmill
post Oct 23 2011, 06:17 PM
Post #5

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just watch the movie "Sex Drive." The Amish dig cool cars.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
somd914
post Oct 23 2011, 06:28 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,741

I live in Southern Maryland - Mennonite and Amish country. Awesome fall day here today, leaves are just starting to turn. Drove 60 miles through the back roads, passed several buggies but that is life here. Can't go blasting through blind curves or hills - never know what is lurking ahead. Every few years there is buggy/car accident - needless to say the buggy always comes out the loser and the car is typically to blame - stupid drivers.

The real challenge is avoiding horse droppings in the road - OK city folks, I'm sure you are laughing or saying WTF, but they make a good slalom course!

+Quote Post
kharma
post Oct 23 2011, 06:28 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,328
Region Association: North East States

Go a little further north into the mountains and you'll find even "more funner" roads above the farmland!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i23.photobucket.com-8328-1319416123.1.jpg)
(dad's old '75... not mine)

+Quote Post
balljoint
post Oct 23 2011, 06:39 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

Just slow down and don't kick loose road top at their horses when you pass. Otherwise cry havoc and let loose the dogs of 30+ year old technology.

BTW on a hot day, a slow drive through Amish country can reveal some smoking hot ankle skin.

:shudder:
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 23 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #9

"Ace" Mechanic

QUOTE(somd914 @ Oct 23 2011, 08:28 PM) *

The real challenge is avoiding horse droppings in the road - OK city folks, I'm sure you are laughing or saying WTF, but they make a good slalom course!

I wouldn't want to be leaning into a turn and have horse poo cause me to crash. That would be not only painful but embarrassing.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 23 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #10

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Last time the 914 was running we toured Lancaster & western West Chester counties. It was a Teusday. Bought lots of great food & veggies. Next weekend, we mage the mistake of going back on a Sunday afternoon, in a DD. On the Sabbath, all stands are shut down & the yougsters parade in buggies. Horse crap everywhere on the roads & miles of parading buggies on both sides of the road. Limied passing but it makes no difference. since you'll catch up with the next clan parading. Guess it's thier day in the sun,

Went to an Amish funeral 5 years ago (long story). 200 year old building converted to a funeral home. Service was almost enough to change your lifestyle, No shoes, no cars (except for the hearse), super clean, ultrarespactable people.

What a spectacle! Lovely people!
Pat
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Oct 23 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #11

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509

And by the way, what's passing protocol out there?

We were behind a couple of guys clip-clopping along at 7 mph and on a 2-way road with a double yellow line. If the conditions are safe, is passing legal? I mean, not that there are traffic light cameras out there or anything. Just wanted to be mindful and respectful of the culture (and keep everybody safe).
+Quote Post
somd914
post Oct 23 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,741

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Oct 23 2011, 09:28 PM) *

And by the way, what's passing protocol out there?

Around here the major roads have paved shoulders for the buggies. On these roads most drivers fly by, I slow down and give them some room. On the back roads we share the roads, when approaching from head on, I slow down to about 25 well in advance and keep well right. From behind I don't fly up on them, slow to about to 15-20, short beep on the horn if they don't know I'm behind them, ensure it is clear and pass keeping well to the left. Not sure of the technical side of crossing a double yellow, but it's an accepted practice here.

Oh, at night they do run tail lights and head lights, but generally they are not real bright.
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Oct 23 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #13

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

I just spent the weekend in Amish country in the Indiana farmlands and they were everywhere. Most are very friendly and move over to give you passing room. Even saw a sport version buggy with three Amish babes in it. The menonite are a little looser though. No power in their houses so most are home before dar. We even went to an Amish village and ate at a nice Amish buffet. Although quite harry and not real clean, they were still pretty tastee. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 23 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #14

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 23 2011, 01:10 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) It's not like their going to whip out a cell phone and call the cops on ya (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

No but they might track you down and cut your hair and beard! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 23 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #15

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 23 2011, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 23 2011, 01:10 PM) *

No but they might track you down and cut your hair and beard! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Amish Radicals in the news... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Rod
post Oct 24 2011, 07:10 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

QUOTE(jmill @ Oct 24 2011, 01:17 AM) *

Just watch the movie "Sex Drive." The Amish dig cool cars.

Excuse my ignorance but isn't jmill bang on the money? I have heard that the Amish men have to have a 'blow out' when they are late teenagers or early 20's?? To get the frustration out of their systems before they settle down for the long life of marriage?? they have loads of money (because they don't spend any of their earned cash on anything) so they blow it all on fast cars and nitros in a 6 month period??

I remember something about that - and I guess thats what the films about?

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 24 2011, 07:40 AM
Post #17

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Rumspringha ( probably misspelled). The choice to retain the lifestyle is a choice and to make it they are set free for a bit to experience modem life. Not all come back to wear the black and in some areas the Amish community is shrinking.

Passing varies depending on the roads. I usually act as Pat does and give them room. You do have to be careful in the corners. There are lots of high banks on either side of the rural roads - many of which were cow paths and game trials 100 years ago and have literately been carved into the countryside.

Please use caution. The Amish can not move quickly and a 914 will demolish a buggy and it's occupants if you burn around a corner and a buggy is there. On the fun roads there is often no shoulder and at places the buggycod not get off the road even if it wanted to.

Once a few miles east of Lancaster you get the same roads but no buggies.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 24 2011, 07:43 AM
Post #18

"Ace" Mechanic

QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 24 2011, 09:10 AM) *

I have heard that the Amish men have to have a 'blow out' when they are late teenagers or early 20's?? To get the frustration out of their systems before they settle down for the long life of marriage??

I think you're thinking of Rumspringa.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Oct 24 2011, 07:55 AM
Post #19

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 24 2011, 05:43 AM) *

I have heard that the Amish men have to have a 'blow out' when they are late teenagers or early 20's?? To get the frustration out of their systems before they settle down for the long life of marriage??

I think you're thinking of Rumplemintz (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 24 2011, 08:14 AM
Post #20

"Ace" Mechanic

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 24 2011, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 24 2011, 05:43 AM) *

I think you're thinking of Rumplemintz (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I think I'm thinking of rum and Coke. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 11:42 AM