Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: So do the Amish mind..., a 914 burning through their beautiful countrysides?
TJB/914
post Oct 24 2011, 08:23 AM
Post #21

Mid-Engn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 23 2011, 09:22 PM) *

Last time the 914 was running we toured Lancaster & western West Chester counties. It was a Teusday. Bought lots of great food & veggies. Next weekend, we mage the mistake of going back on a Sunday afternoon, in a DD. On the Sabbath, all stands are shut down & the yougsters parade in buggies. Horse crap everywhere on the roads & miles of parading buggies on both sides of the road. Limied passing but it makes no difference. since you'll catch up with the next clan parading. Guess it's thier day in the sun,

Went to an Amish funeral 5 years ago (long story). 200 year old building converted to a funeral home. Service was almost enough to change your lifestyle, No shoes, no cars (except for the hearse), super clean, ultrarespactable people.

What a spectacle! Lovely people!
Pat

Hi Pat,

I lived in Pottstown, PA (Amish area) in the early 70's and I miss "Shoo-Fly-Pie" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) The deep bottom kind, yum, yum. I think it's only available in PA Amish country & no where else in other states Quaker/Amish land.

Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rod
post Oct 24 2011, 04:26 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 24 2011, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 24 2011, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 24 2011, 05:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 24 2011, 09:10 AM) *

I have heard that the Amish men have to have a 'blow out' when they are late teenagers or early 20's?? To get the frustration out of their systems before they settle down for the long life of marriage??

I think you're thinking of Rumspringa.

I think you're thinking of Rumplemintz (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I think I'm thinking of rum and Coke. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Yep thats the one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks for confirming I wasn't going totally crazy!
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Oct 24 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,218
Region Association: Northern California

I don’t like to lead people astray, but if they’re going to go that way I’ll tag along for the ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9QeqbASaSc

+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Oct 24 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #24

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Please drive carefully through Amish country- everyone deserves to get home safe.

Was north of Berlin OH, and some livestock or rodeo event let out. The Amish left early, and then the cars came barreling out. There ws an Amish or Mennonite buggy heading home on the hilly 2 lane road and it was stuffed with a family. I saw each of the 6 asshats in front of me get really pisssed that they had to wait, and some were honking. When they could pass, each one passed the buggy by flooring it and deliberately staying as close as they could to the buggy. I guess they wanted to let the people in the buggy know how pissed they were with the delay.

In the buggy, the little kids were crying, the cute young girls in the bonnets were badly scared, and the mom and dad's knuckles were white. I didn't think they were going to get home safe. When I passed, it was as wide as I could, and slow as to not to spook the skittish horse. Wife waved at the kids as we went by.

If one of those drivers had caused an accident or death, I was either going to hang around to testify , or follow the car to get the tag number. In either event, I would have suggested a murder charge to the cops.

And yeah, my wife is redheaded Pennsylvania Dutch.

Ken
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 25 2011, 04:31 AM
Post #25

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I ride a bicycle, and although I haven't encountered that kind of hostility on the road, I totally sympathize with the Amish. You wanna go fast, take it to the track. Or at least the freeway, where nobody can pull out of a side road in front of you.
+Quote Post
Racing916
post Oct 25 2011, 06:23 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,959
Region Association: North East States

This happened in July up here in New York

Amish Mourn

I would find another area to have fun driving in, or take it to the track.
+Quote Post
PlanB
post Oct 25 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 2,891

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 24 2011, 05:40 AM) *

Rumspringha ( probably misspelled). The choice to retain the lifestyle is a choice and to make it they are set free for a bit to experience modem life. Not all come back to wear the black and in some areas the Amish community is shrinking.

Passing varies depending on the roads. I usually act as Pat does and give them room. You do have to be careful in the corners. There are lots of high banks on either side of the rural roads - many of which were cow paths and game trials 100 years ago and have literately been carved into the countryside.

Please use caution. The Amish can not move quickly and a 914 will demolish a buggy and it's occupants if you burn around a corner and a buggy is there. On the fun roads there is often no shoulder and at places the buggycod not get off the road even if it wanted to.

Once a few miles east of Lancaster you get the same roads but no buggies.

There's a great documentary on the Rumspringha (sp?) phenomenon, called 'The Devil's Playground'. See: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293088/
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Oct 25 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #28

Extended Member

Member No.: 5,895
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 24 2011, 10:14 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 24 2011, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 24 2011, 05:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 24 2011, 09:10 AM) *

I have heard that the Amish men have to have a 'blow out' when they are late teenagers or early 20's?? To get the frustration out of their systems before they settle down for the long life of marriage??

I think you're thinking of Rumspringa.

I think you're thinking of Rumplemintz (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I think I'm thinking of rum and Coke. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Im thinking of beer and rump. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 11:44 PM