Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wonky prices for 914 parts/cars, driven by greed, What can we do about it?
rick 918-S
post Oct 24 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #21

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 24 2011, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 24 2011, 03:20 PM) *

What's the problem? People can [try to] sell their parts at whatever price they want.

-Steve

I agree with the spirit of wanting to keep people from paying way too much for cars or individual items. Many times I've seen postings from people hoping a 914 sells for a rediculous amount of money so it might drive the value up on their own car. I'd rather they stay somewhat affordable. And we've all seen parts that are worth ten times less than the asking price.

But that being said, I agree with Steve. If you're not wise enough to do some shopping around before spending your hard earned $ then you've got no one to blame but yourself. I think that the fact that most of us have sold things for a fair price negates a real need to 'police' pricing.

Like I stated above. Sure no objection there, but when a group is working in the background attempting to fix a price that is bad for all of us. Some of these guys only come here to prey on us. Some have zero post count or way under 100.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Oct 24 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

Personally, I like the world traffic idea. And really, if you buy a part from a lurker, or 0 post guy, your kinda asking for it. Sometimes I think even some of our " parts experts" on here ask too much, do we really want to call them out by fixing prices? They may be high on some stuff, but reasonable on other stuff, and even have that impossible to find part. Now a part database of last sold price might be cool, but a huge amount of work to do.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Oct 24 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

My morbid curiosity has me wondering what event or vendor actually spawned this thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

The parts database of "last sold price" with some averaging built into it would be far more accurate than our subjective values.

There will always be supply and demand especially as NOS and 'rare' parts supplies dry up...
+Quote Post
tod914
post Oct 24 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

QUOTE(BKLA @ Oct 24 2011, 06:42 PM) *

the HPH ad for taillights is not a good example. Those are NOS and NLA. So you could buy a set of repro's for AA for about $500 (approx. $250 each) or pony up for the original set from HPH for $799. If I were doing a concourse car, the HPH might be worth the points. For my street car, not so much...

Bret, the AA repros are $199.95 per pair. Not $500.00. From my experience with HPH, they have been at least 20% higher or more than most vendors on their parts. Now I feel they are just ridiculous with what they are asking for their items on Ebay. It's not just the lenses. Last I seen NOS lenses w/housings going for, were just under $500.00. That's quite recent too. Even restoring a car to concours level, I for one wouldn't entertain that kind of pricing. They do come up for sale on occassion, at "reasonable" prices.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 24 2011, 05:19 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

When a newbie logs on and says he just bought his first 914, along with the "welcome to 914 world", we should also remind him or her to check here before spending a bundle on parts for their car. Prices are usually determined by whatever the market will bear. If someone is willing to pay for it, then that determines the price. That's also how some professional athletes make over $10 million a year. Some idiot (jerry Jones) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) is willing to pay it. That is the way it works here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
Cheers, Elliot

PS Never any price gouging at the G&R swap meet. Sorry if you missed it.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Oct 24 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Used parts market is whatever the price sells for. I have some stuff for sale, think I've priced it in line with prices over the years. If people think the prices are too high, just offer less and take it from there...no big deal, worst that can happen is the seller says no. I agree with the old swap meet way of pricing new parts and pricing them at 60-50% of that value.

Old car parts prices will always go up if there is demand, just look at factory oil tanks...they used to be real cheap, now they are crazy money...same with 6-carbs. Heck, you used to be able to buy a nice factory 6 for $10k and a really nice 4 for $3k.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Oct 24 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #27

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hmmmm
I kinda feel like Jamie, thats a can o' worms.
If a newb has the wherewithal to find us then they should be able to Search & figure out
what is available, and what the range is for parts...NOS/repro/used.
Oh and BTW how much does it cost to source recover remove clean test store & market these 30+ yr. old bits?
+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 24 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #28

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

There was an Ad recently in our Classifieds for Parts that I normally Give Away for Ridiculas Prices. I was going to put in a Response but that is Rude
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 24 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #29

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I don't know. I kinda think people should charge what the market will bear. If the price is too high the part won't sell. If its priced right it will. There are always going to be sharks out there but the comments in the ads do a pretty good job of policing here.

Zach
+Quote Post
914werke
post Oct 24 2011, 05:51 PM
Post #30

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 24 2011, 04:45 PM) *

There was an Ad recently in our Classifieds for Parts that I normally Give Away for Ridiculas Prices. I was going to put in a Response but that is Rude

Was it from Lurker with 0 posts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
One suggestion...again...is to limit ability to post in the classified section unless registered &/or post count threshold reached.

Its unfortunate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Oct 24 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Jack
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 24 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #32

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

When an item is priced beyond what I think it is worth, I walk.

When an item is priced lower than what I think it is worth, I buy.

Those getting into this market should do due diligence in research. One thing about this site is that if you ask you WILL receive opinions. Whether you choose to believe them is on you.

And some of you are out of your freakin' minds!!!!
+Quote Post
reharvey
post Oct 24 2011, 06:02 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 9,308
Region Association: North East States

I,ve sold some parts dirt cheap to help someone out but in the real world greed trumps everything.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 24 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #34

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I would buy parts from anybody that posted in this thread. We need to focus our buying efforts to the people that have fair prices. Many guys here would give parts away to help our fellow 914 brothers. I have had great experiences with GPR! Great guys and fair prices. I also frequent Parts Heaven, Al gives me good deals.

HPH has and will contiue to be over priced. AA is in the same overpriced group.
+Quote Post
Twise
post Oct 24 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 6,881

I have not sold any old parts - I give them to worthy members. I do agree that if some people are using the board to fix pricing, its time to break out the ban gun. Ban, ban, ban ban...

I have yet to start athread asking something that did not have at least a few replies within twenty minutes. Like, "hey, whats this worth"?

CAVEAT EMPTOR
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 24 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #36

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 24 2011, 03:41 PM) *

I know its all about supply and demand and what some are willing to pay, but sometimes we see pricing on 914s and 914 parts that are completely beyond reason. Some are taken by these scams. Most will recognize these ploys, but a greedy seller needs only one sucker and the whole hobby for our cars suffers.

Would it be useful if we as a club developed pricing guideline for parts/cars, based on recent sales of similar, condition, rarity, and listing other options, like available repro sources for those that are not aware?

Post your horror stories! Lets out these low-lifes.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

New factory OEM dashpad, this fits the later 914 cars with the side air vents. Some would call it NOS, but its not old, I have had this about 5-6 years, stored in climate controlled indoors. I special ordered it at the time and it took 6 months to get from Germany, they have not been available since that time. It originally came to me unopened in the Porsche logo box, but I used that box for other purposes, sorry I don't have the original box anymore.

You won't find a better dashpad than this anywhere, or at any time in the future. I am looking for top dollar! The last NOS dashpad I know of, sold for $1750. in May 2008, and I have not seen another one since.

The lowest amount I will consider is $1000. and I realize it may not sell. Email your highest and best offer not later than Sunday Dec 12, 2010, at 12 Noon PST, which is the deadline to receive your email offers. A decision will be made by 6pm Dec 12, 2010 PST when I will notify you if your offer is accepted. Payment will be cash if you are local to me, or certified cashiers check, or paypal (you pay paypal fees). If shipping is necessary, you pay shipping and insurance costs. No other fees will be added.

Act quick and you can receive it for Christmas.

Email me at jeff-dot-bowlsby-at-sbcglobal-dot-net

Merry Christmas!

New 2.0L SSI Heat Exchangers for Porsche 914, with the solid stainless steel rear flanges. These are date coded 1997, and I was told at the time I bought these that SSI only had 4 sets left, so this is truly the last of the last and no more have been made since. I have had these about 6-7 years, and they come in their original boxes and packaging. I only opened these for the first time recently, to take these photos.

I am looking for top dollar! The last NOS set of these that I know of, sold for $1460. in June 2009, and I have not seen another set since.

The lowest amount I will consider is $1000. and I realize they may not sell. Email your highest and best offer not later than Sunday Dec 12, 2010, at 12 Noon PST, which is the deadline to receive your email offers. A decision will be made by 6pm Dec 12, 2010 PST when I will notify you if your offer is accepted. Payment will be cash if you are local to me, or certified cashiers check, or paypal (you pay paypal fees). If shipping is necessary, you pay shipping and insurance costs. No other fees will be added.

Act fast and you can receive them for Christmas.

Merry Christmas!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 24 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #37

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Babtism by fire, baby. I got mine when I first started out with these. Now I know who to avoid. Policing; no. Anytime someone does something for me that I can do myself it takes a bite out of my billfold.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Oct 24 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #38

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730

Just like cars, parts are worth only what someone is willing to pay for it.

For every "greedy" seller, there is an equally foolish or un-informed buyer. Jeez people, everyone knows that they must shop around. . .

If you think the price is too high, don't buy it; it's really that simple. Don't publicly bad-mouth the person; they may not be "greedy" at all, but may not know they are asking too much.

On the other hand, some buyers are just really cheap SOBs who think it's still 1975 and think they should pay 1975 prices. . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 24 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #39

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 24 2011, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 24 2011, 03:41 PM) *

I know its all about supply and demand and what some are willing to pay, but sometimes we see pricing on 914s and 914 parts that are completely beyond reason. Some are taken by these scams. Most will recognize these ploys, but a greedy seller needs only one sucker and the whole hobby for our cars suffers.

Would it be useful if we as a club developed pricing guideline for parts/cars, based on recent sales of similar, condition, rarity, and listing other options, like available repro sources for those that are not aware?

Post your horror stories! Lets out these low-lifes.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

New factory OEM dashpad, this fits the later 914 cars with the side air vents. Some would call it NOS, but its not old, I have had this about 5-6 years, stored in climate controlled indoors. I special ordered it at the time and it took 6 months to get from Germany, they have not been available since that time. It originally came to me unopened in the Porsche logo box, but I used that box for other purposes, sorry I don't have the original box anymore.

You won't find a better dashpad than this anywhere, or at any time in the future. I am looking for top dollar! The last NOS dashpad I know of, sold for $1750. in May 2008, and I have not seen another one since.

The lowest amount I will consider is $1000. and I realize it may not sell. Email your highest and best offer not later than Sunday Dec 12, 2010, at 12 Noon PST, which is the deadline to receive your email offers. A decision will be made by 6pm Dec 12, 2010 PST when I will notify you if your offer is accepted. Payment will be cash if you are local to me, or certified cashiers check, or paypal (you pay paypal fees). If shipping is necessary, you pay shipping and insurance costs. No other fees will be added.

Act quick and you can receive it for Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

New 2.0L SSI Heat Exchangers for Porsche 914, with the solid stainless steel rear flanges. These are date coded 1997, and I was told at the time I bought these that SSI only had 4 sets left, so this is truly the last of the last and no more have been made since. I have had these about 6-7 years, and they come in their original boxes and packaging. I only opened these for the first time recently, to take these photos.

I am looking for top dollar! The last NOS set of these that I know of, sold for $1460. in June 2009, and I have not seen another set since.

The lowest amount I will consider is $1000. and I realize they may not sell. Email your highest and best offer not later than Sunday Dec 12, 2010, at 12 Noon PST, which is the deadline to receive your email offers. A decision will be made by 6pm Dec 12, 2010 PST when I will notify you if your offer is accepted. Payment will be cash if you are local to me, or certified cashiers check, or paypal (you pay paypal fees). If shipping is necessary, you pay shipping and insurance costs. No other fees will be added.

Act fast and you can receive them for Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

I think it is a little unfair to call out Jeff. He is a concours guy and was selling NOS stuff. Jeff loves this hobby and is extreemly fair with pricing. He is not one of the price gougers...
+Quote Post
somd914
post Oct 24 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 12,741

Ah,the land of capitalism, we all love the concept until it hits our wallet... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 09:09 AM