Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Wonky prices for 914 parts/cars, driven by greed, What can we do about it?
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 24 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

I know its all about supply and demand and what some are willing to pay, but sometimes we see pricing on 914s and 914 parts that are completely beyond reason. Some are taken by these scams. Most will recognize these ploys, but a greedy seller needs only one sucker and the whole hobby for our cars suffers.

Would it be useful if we as a club developed pricing guideline for parts/cars, based on recent sales of similar, condition, rarity, and listing other options, like available repro sources for those that are not aware?

Post your horror stories! Lets out these low-lifes.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(60 - 76)
Loser_Cruiser
post Oct 25 2011, 08:42 AM
Post #61

Member No.: 3,873
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(hwgunner @ Oct 24 2011, 09:31 PM) *

I think we could start by not deleting the old FS/WTB adds. Then you could go back and see what items sold for or ask the people who sold or bought.

I agree with this! So many times I have spend a good deal of time searching for items in similar condition as mine for pricing and I'd say about half the time the asking price or sale price has been deleted. I always want to make sure that I ask a fair price for my potential buyers and for myself.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Oct 25 2011, 08:44 AM
Post #62

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 25 2011, 12:23 AM) *

Whoooooaaaaa nellie....

It looks like my original post may have been mis-interpreted and has gone sideways.

I merely floated the idea of a price guideline, to serve as a resource, and point of reference. Price control, price fixing, banishment, floggings and ex-communication- never suggested.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

See my page here for sales history on orignal-ish exceptional quality 914s. If one wants to know what a $12K 914 looks like or a $25K 914 to compare it to...this is one point of information. http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/RecentSales.htm

Same thing with my NOS/NLA parts pricing 'guide'. These are top $ prices from documented sales of NLA parts. http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/NLAParts.htm

The point of this is that if an NOS painted front early bumpers' recent high dollar mark is $293...an $800 asking price is off base....(just an illustrative example, not a real circumstanceui)

We could potentially organize/maintain the 'guide' collectively, like the 'Parts vault'.

Your NOS "Pricing Guide" is a perfect example of why this idea of current value will not work. You have not updated the NOS "Pricing Guide" in quite a while. Example, do you really think you can buy a NOS MPS for $470 today? Who decides what a NOS MPS is worth? I thought it's supposed to be between a buyer and seller. Should an artificial guide, w/value "set" by CSOB's mean anything to someone who has a part and someone who needs a part? Will the marketplace not set a real value? Just because guide thinks a MPS is worth $470, for example, if your concours car needs one to make it to the Hilton Head Concours don't you get to make the decision as to what it's worth to you? After all, you can't just order one from just any supplier. They are NOS. Let the marketplace decide.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Oct 25 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #63

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 24 2011, 02:21 PM) *

this is shit i'm talking about , If I saw this guy in person and he asked this price

i'd kick his ass ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 25 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #64

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Man this thing went sideways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) Now were kickin guys asses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 25 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #65

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I think this thread is out of control, way off topic and should be closed.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Oct 25 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #66

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Member No.: 3,095

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 25 2011, 12:05 PM) *

Man this thing went sideways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) Now were kickin guys asses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Agreed!
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Oct 25 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #67

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Member No.: 3,095

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 25 2011, 12:08 PM) *

I think this thread is out of control, way off topic and should be closed.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)

Agreed!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 25 2011, 02:13 PM
Post #68

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Our world is one of a free market.

One can charge what they want for their products and services.

If someone is asking out of range high prices, don't buy it.

As with everything in our world, it's buyer beware.

My main concerns are scams and ripoffs where you get no product/service for your payment or the item is not what was advertized.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Oct 25 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #69

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dang!

So how much did I lose on a pair of NOS 2.0l stainless heater boxes? My control-freak cardboard-recycling clutter-diminishing wife took them out of the boxes and recycled the cardboard as an unannounced clutter control exercise.

Just askin....
+Quote Post
A&PGirl
post Oct 25 2011, 06:39 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 5,367

...cars, based on recent sales of similar, condition, rarity, and listing other options...

How is this any different to NADA?

Of course, all NADA sees us as is a number with a statistic attached to it that can change depending on the inputs.

NADA doesn't care about specific condition of our cars, such as early vs late, engine size, fuel delivery, suspension, steering or the quantity of rust, scrap value of individual areas, and etc.

This is an opportunity to hammer out some details to make a personalized NADA for ourselves that majority of owners can agree on.

$.02

+Quote Post
mikea100
post Oct 25 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 11,182
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 25 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #72

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(thelogo @ Oct 25 2011, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 24 2011, 02:21 PM) *

this is shit i'm talking about , If I saw this guy in person and he asked this price

i'd kick his ass ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

"i,d kick his ass"! Assuming you are capable.
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Oct 25 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #73

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 25 2011, 01:13 PM) *

Our world is one of a free market.

One can charge what they want for their products and services.

If someone is asking out of range high prices, don't buy it.

As with everything in our world, it's buyer beware.

My main concerns are scams and ripoffs where you get no product/service for your payment or the item is not what was advertized.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
pete000
post Oct 26 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

70 grand for a 914 !!! WOW !

http://www.silverstonemotorcars.com/vehicl...achusetts-01845

+Quote Post
BK911
post Oct 26 2011, 07:51 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 1,674

Do you think that part is too expensive? Don’t buy it. If nobody bites, the seller will have to reduce the price.

How about government regulation? The man should step in and have rules on how much we can charge for used parts. Yea, more gubment.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Oct 26 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #76

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 24 2011, 09:23 PM) *

I merely floated the idea of a price guideline, to serve as a resource, and point of reference.

It already exists; it's called a "SEARCH FUNCTION"
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 26 2011, 09:42 AM
Post #77

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Actually my NOS pricing guide is as current and as accurate as I can make it and it is regualrly maintained. The dates/values ranging back a few years reflect not that the info is obsolete, they are accurate prices at that point in time, so that was the last date I know of a sale of that part, and its price. That can be an indication of scarcity. And those are the highest prices I have seen as a top value indication. I know of recent NOS 2.0L MPS purchases for $300., did not update the list with that because even the current listing of $470 is not out of line. I have verbal information of NOS MPS sales over $700, but because it was not documented I did not include it. The market between buyer/seller will determine the ultimate price, thats the way it should be and is, but I feel this data is useful to anyone evaluating what they should pay/not pay for a given part. Same with my 'Recent Sales history' page on 914 cars.

I have taken items off the NOS pricing guide list. A few years ago I saw an NOS targa windshield seal go for over $1200., now they are available new for <$200. List was updated. One can by brand new 2.0L SSI's for about $1400. from the only known source I know of in Germany, so anything less than that from a private seller is a good deal.

QUOTE(John Jentz @ Oct 25 2011, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 25 2011, 12:23 AM) *

Whoooooaaaaa nellie....

It looks like my original post may have been mis-interpreted and has gone sideways.

I merely floated the idea of a price guideline, to serve as a resource, and point of reference. Price control, price fixing, banishment, floggings and ex-communication- never suggested.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

See my page here for sales history on orignal-ish exceptional quality 914s. If one wants to know what a $12K 914 looks like or a $25K 914 to compare it to...this is one point of information. http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/RecentSales.htm

Same thing with my NOS/NLA parts pricing 'guide'. These are top $ prices from documented sales of NLA parts. http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/NLAParts.htm

The point of this is that if an NOS painted front early bumpers' recent high dollar mark is $293...an $800 asking price is off base....(just an illustrative example, not a real circumstanceui)

We could potentially organize/maintain the 'guide' collectively, like the 'Parts vault'.

Your NOS "Pricing Guide" is a perfect example of why this idea of current value will not work. You have not updated the NOS "Pricing Guide" in quite a while. Example, do you really think you can buy a NOS MPS for $470 today? Who decides what a NOS MPS is worth? I thought it's supposed to be between a buyer and seller. Should an artificial guide, w/value "set" by CSOB's mean anything to someone who has a part and someone who needs a part? Will the marketplace not set a real value? Just because guide thinks a MPS is worth $470, for example, if your concours car needs one to make it to the Hilton Head Concours don't you get to make the decision as to what it's worth to you? After all, you can't just order one from just any supplier. They are NOS. Let the marketplace decide.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 08:14 AM