Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> question #2, 009 Dizzy
qa1142
post Aug 1 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #1

Whiplash

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,140

Since there are no EFI contact points in a 1.8L distributer, what would happen if I installed 009 distributer?

Would the advance screw EFI up? Or would it be OK?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 1 2004, 04:18 PM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

First you have to check the float on the 009 dizzy.

Toss it in a pond and if it floats it's a good one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
HarveyH
post Aug 2 2004, 06:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 843

Several answers to that question: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
If you have an EFI car, it won't run with a 009 without major changes to the EFI system. The EFI trigger points are a separate set of points that only trigger the fuel injection, they are not electrically connected to the ignition points. If you replace the distributor you'll have to work out another way to tell the fuel injection when to pulse fuel into the intake system.
If your car has been converted to carbs, see Mark Henry's post above. I have a carbed/cammed car, and the previous owner put in a 009, probably because that is supposed to be a hot setup for the VW Ty 1 engine. While this may be right for the Ty 1, the advance curves for the 009 are completely wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) for a Ty 4. After reading a lot on the subject, I put the original distributor back in, and the car improved significantly in starting and low to mid range operation. Not sure if there was any gain at the high end, but no noticeable loss, and operation in the other ranges more than made up for any possible minor loss on the top end (99.999% street use).
If you're thinking of converting an otherwise stock FI car to carbs, DON'T. There is no real increase in power using carbs, though the sound of the carbs sucking behind your head (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) can make you think there is... If you have an other than stock (or very near stock) profile cam, yes, you will need carbs, but the stock distributor curves are still much better than the 009. If you're having problems with your EFI, read, learn, and talk to the people on this and other boards to find out what's wrong with your system and fix it right.
Good luck,
Harvey
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 2 2004, 08:07 AM
Post #4

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(HarveyH @ Aug 2 2004, 04:59 AM)
If you have an EFI car, it won't run with a 009 without major changes to the EFI system. The EFI trigger points are a separate set of points that only trigger the fuel injection, they are not electrically connected to the ignition points. If you replace the distributor you'll have to work out another way to tell the fuel injection when to pulse fuel into the intake system.

This is NOT true for a 1.8L injected car. The L-Jet inection does NOT use trigger points. You can run it on an 009, and I currently have a 914 1.8L that is running on one with the unmodified L-Jet system. But the advance curve on the 009 absoultely SUCKS!!!! It was designed for the VW engine for use in a stationary engine, not for an automobile application.

Keep the stock distributor if you are running the stock L-Jet. It will work fine.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
HarveyH
post Aug 2 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 843

Oooop's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) didn't realize the differences between D and L Jet.
Carbs...
Harvey
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 2 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #6

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

The 1.8 dizzy is actually a very good one....I have used it on carbed 2.0s and it was one of the better ones out there when in good shape....the 009 is a good weight for long line fishing.

The 050 is not being made anymore....but are still in stock in some shops at an "centrifugally advanced" price.....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:52 AM