Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Aluminum trans damage, Need a few opinions on repairing damage
6fahrer
post Aug 2 2004, 10:01 AM
Post #1

Der Grosse 914 Auf-Fahrter

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,311

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I recently received a late model side-shifter transmission that had been shipped through one of the standard overland express carriers (don't recall which one and the package wasn't insured). The unit was in good overall condition upon arrival, but I notice that in transit, it had taken a hit on the driver's left side suspension point that resulted in the "U" mount part of the aluminum case being broken off. I found the broken piece in the crate.
I'd appreciate some advice from others as to what my options are for repairing this important suspension attachment point (if any). Can a weight-bearing member such as this be successfully welded back on? My understanding is that aluminum is the most difficult metal in the world to 'weld' and it strikes me as possible that the strength of such a reattached component fitting, after undergoing such a process, might not be sufficient to warrant safe re-use of the transmission. Any inputs on this technical question welcomed. Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
6Fahrer
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Demick
post Aug 2 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #2

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

Transmission housing is magnesium - not aluminum. So fixing by welding is out (I don't think you can weld magnesium).

It is unclear from your description what actually broke. If it is one of the mounting ears that mount the transmission to the underside of the rear trunk - then you can just get a replacement rear cover and the gasket and replace the whole rear cover. Not hard at all.

Demick
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 2 2004, 10:08 AM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It can be welded but its easier to use a donor housing. John Walker just bought 4 914 trannies just for the gear sets for use in early 911 cars. I bet he tosses the 914 tail piece.

Geoff
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 2 2004, 10:30 AM
Post #4

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

It's not aluminum, it's a magnesium alloy, and MUCH more difficult to weld. Replacement would be better, though it can be repaired by a good welder with the proper equipment. Won't be pretty ................ The Cap'n
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Aug 2 2004, 10:32 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Mine was welded by the PO. It looks funny but works just great. No cracks or anything yet.
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Aug 2 2004, 10:38 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 283
Region Association: None

yes it can be welded but as mentioned previously it is Magnesium so when calling around make sure the shop has experience welding magnesium. Chris Foley
here on the East Coast welded mine and it been holding up fine. He Posts
under RacerChris. If you can not find a West coast guy just remove the tail cover and send it to Chris although I would think just finding a new tail housing would be less hassel.
+Quote Post
6fahrer
post Aug 2 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #7

Der Grosse 914 Auf-Fahrter

Member No.: 2,311

Thanks for this range of information, guys. I suppose the easiest solution would be to replace the complete rear cover with a good used one. Good to know that the housing is Magnesium, too. (It was in fact one of the "ears" on the rear cover that broke off, as someone suggested). Appreciate the help all around!
Cheers, 6Fahrer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 09:28 PM