Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aftermarket shoulder harness bar for early 914, Installation of harness bar in 70 914
6fahrer
post Aug 2 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #1

Der Grosse 914 Auf-Fahrter

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,311

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) I have a 1970 914-6 that I ordered an aftermarket seat harness bar for, only to discover that the early 'fixed passenger seat' interior back pad used in 1970-71 914s will not allow use of such a bar, unless the headrest of the immobile passenger seat is cut-off ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) ) or removed altogether.
Despite being able to determine this to be a potential problem in advance of the fact (by checking the bar attachment points against the existing interior fittings), like a dunce I did not do so. Hence the bar arrived from Performance Parts (they state the bar is suitable for use in 1970 through 76 914 models, but neglect to further advise that the passenger seat prevents installation unless removed beforehand.
I am not necessarily put off by 'decapitating' the passenger seat headrest in my car, so as to allow use of the bar, but it still bothers me to contemplate screwing up an early style 914's interior in this rather forceful (and irrepairable) manner.
Again, suggestions would be appreciation if you have encountered a similar frustration (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) .
Cheers, 6Fahrer
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 2 2004, 10:31 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

pull the backpad and store it safely. find a passenger seat from a 73+. find some nice black vinyl or Perlon to cover the firewall, if you are so inclined.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 2 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #3

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I too have this problem. I am thinking of cutting out a section of the head rest to fit around the bar. My Early needs to be recovered anyway. The other option is to put some dynamat and grey / black carpet. Those fire walls without sound insulation are Loud. Sort of like a huge sub woofer this a type IV motor as the amp.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 2 2004, 01:12 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with rich. remove the backpad and get a later, moveable seat with rails and be done with it.

there's a easy and a not so easy way to mount the moveable seat to a early car:

- right way to do it (not so easy)
get the floor hinges and weld them to the floorboard. get the up/down adjuster bracket and weld it to the crossbar. then mount seat rails on that.

- the *not so* right way to do it (much easier)
take the rails and bolt them directly to the floor using the existing (no-moveable) hinges in the back. the rails will fit perfectly. bolt them down in the front using the already threaded holes "on top" of the crossbar. again, perfect fit.
the seat rail will be in a fairly "up" position and you can't adjust up/down but other than that it works great. front/back adjustement works just like expected.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 2 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #5

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Never did like passengers in my car anyway. They just distract me. Wife already said she will NEVER ride in my car with me again anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 2 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #6

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 2 2004, 04:06 PM)
Never did like passengers in my car anyway. They just distract me.

in some Regions, a DE car has to have a seat for an instructor...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 12:57 AM