Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> F'ING THIEVES are everywhere!, and a glass question
mightyohm
post Aug 2 2004, 10:24 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Seems like us in Norcal are not immune to the low life population that would smash a car window and steal stuff on a busy street, all while the alarm is going off... My brand new Subaru got broken into on Sat night and a bunch of stuff stolen out of the trunk - digital camera, GPS, etc etc.

I need to get the window they smashed replaced. Does anyone have any glass shop recommendations? I am willing to spend a little more if necessary to make sure it gets done right. My insurance company is recommending SafeLite. They have that service where they will come out and fix it at your workplace. Is that generally a good idea?

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 2 2004, 10:29 AM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

They usually give a better deral as they are the insurance companies "prefered vendor"....go for it.

Can't beat onsite service either....
+Quote Post
Howard
post Aug 2 2004, 10:32 AM
Post #3

Incontin(g)ent Member

Member No.: 943

We use a similar service in SoCal with good results. Check with your insurance company, but generally, if they recommend a shop, work is guaranteed as long as you own car. Personal property should be coverered on you home policy, but yet another deductible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Aug 2 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I called SafeLite. It's interesting that they make their own glass (or have a subcon they are tied to at least). When I asked about getting OEM glass they had to call around and get prices. I expect the OEM glass will be a lot more but the car is 3 weeks old, I might as well make the windows all match.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 2 2004, 10:55 AM
Post #5

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Not sure if this applies to Glass or the left coast in general but here in the OH if the car is less than three years old and invloved in a collision (read not sure about vandalism) the INS co has to out OEM parts on your car.

How do you like your Subbie? I am thinking about getting a Turbo Baja.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Aug 2 2004, 12:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

It's great. It drives well and handles even better than I was expecting given the comfortable ride quality. I am normally biased against new cars but this one made me change my mind.

If I had the money and didn't have to park in SF occasionally I'd spring for the Legacy GT like Fiid just got. That car is AWESOME.
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Aug 2 2004, 12:18 PM
Post #7

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

When it comes door glasses, mobile (on site) is usually your best move. No advantges to taking the car to the shop, and plenty of disadvantages (ie broken glass moves around, settling farther down into tighter spaces).

As far as OEM v. Safelite glass, Safelite IS OEM glass in many cars, but your desire to have factory piece in a new car is legit also. The only noticable diference will be the tiny emblem on the glass. Size, fit and color between the OEM and Safelite will be identical. You would not be able to tell them apart. The price difference may not be as much as you think. Normally on a new car, the insurance company won't carp too much about that type of preference either.
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Aug 2 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #8

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248

Many Maine-iacs have a saying that locks are for the honest people.

Kinda make you wonder if it's worth locking a car these days. You're going to loos your stuff anyway, so why add the agrivation of having to repair the damage too.

My first car was stolen once and broken into at least two times... and it was only a stock, middle line VW Golf. But hey, just think that if these guys are caught by the man in blue, the courts will slap them on the wrist and make them promise not to to it again. They'll be sorry then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Aug 2 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

Jeff, sorry to hear about what happened. You have a wagon, right? Word of advice: TINT YOUR WINDOWS. I keep bugging Brian to get his done as well. It definitelywon't keep the thieves from breaking in if their heart's set on it, but it does make your car less enticing when they don't see all the expensive stuff you've got in the back. Another (cheaper) alternative is to throw an old, dirty looking sleeping bag over all your stuff. Makes you look like a bum, who can't afford GPS/MP3 player stuff. Or get an NRA sticker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Any leads on who did it, or do you just have to eat the cost of the stolen stuff?

Geez, lots of bad car karma for you recently. I hope things get better for you soon.

Jen
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Aug 2 2004, 01:13 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Seriously. I have sh!t luck right now.

The glass place wants $500 to replace with OEM glass. They are saying aftermarket glass probably isn't even available even if I did want it. OUCH!

Jenny, I have been thinking about tinting the windows. I am thinking more seriously about it now. I am used to driving cars with trunks so this whole exposed cargo area thing is new to me. And no I didn't use the stupid thing you pull over to hide your stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 2 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #11

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Are you sure the alarm went off? Alot of OEM alarms only go off if you open or try to open something (no motion sensors or glass break detectors)
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Aug 2 2004, 01:50 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Mine has a motion sensor. I found that out the first time I slammed the hood shut while it was on... It is fairly sensitive. The alarm beeped to let me know it had been going off when I got back to the car.
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Aug 2 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Aug 2 2004, 12:13 PM)
And no I didn't use the stupid thing you pull over to hide your stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Nobody uses that. It's just there to get in your way when you're loading large objects into the back. That's all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Jen
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:26 PM