Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seat of the pants diff, 009 vs 050
sanman
post Aug 2 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #1

Leaving California

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,219
Region Association: None

Where in the power band is the difference between the 009 and the 050

is there any one in the Houston Area with extra 050 to lend or sale me

Do all 009 retard #3

Just Trying to get some Cheep HP. My Car came with the 009 and going by this board the 009 is the worst one, I thought it was fine untill i read the threads(ignorance is bliss)

Can the spring or weights be changed to make it better

Any advice other than get the mallory would be apreciated
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 2 2004, 11:40 AM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

The 009 can be recurved to fit the Type 4. The trick is finding a shop that still knows how to do this. Ask at a local Bug shop. The curve is the wrong shape, causing advance to be added "too early", and the curve cuts off too early, as well. If you time the thing so it doesn't ping in the midrange, it's too retarded on top (power loss, more heat), and the bottom end (poor mileage when cruising, more heat). If you get it recurved to slow the rate of advance down and it adds more advance before flattening off (9-10 distributor degrees, or 18-20 crank degrees, is what you want), you can approximate the ideal curve.

However, the other problem with the 009 is they're very poorly made. Even new ones have lots of shaft slop in them, so timing bounces all over the place, forcing you to keep the ignition retarded some from ideal to be safe.
+Quote Post
sanman
post Aug 2 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #3

Leaving California

Also the little Round part at the very bottom (Has the pin and springs holding it on ) Moves from side to side
and you are right my timing does jump.
is this what causes the timing to jump?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 2 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #4

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Yes, that's the slop. The shaft bearings are shot. Many seem to be shot from the factory.

The reason everyone likes the Mallory over the 009 is the Mallory is very well made, and the bearings last a long time. Parts to recurve the Mallory are available to everyone from Mallory, including ignition curve charts, so you can set the curve up yourself. Such quality costs money, of course. If you have a stock EFI distributor, you could retrofit your carb setup to use vacuum (I'm assuming you're running carbs here) and use that. The stock unit is better than an 009.

If you're electronically inclined, you might take a look at some of the EDIS-derived DIY distributorless ignitions, such as MegaJolt Light Jr Very much a DIY project, but once done, it provides just about the best ignition you're going to get from anyone.
+Quote Post
sanman
post Aug 2 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #5

Leaving California

No I Dont have the stock one and there is no vaccume on my webbers
Has any one did this mod (adding vaccume lines to older webbers) is there a tech article and how much vaccume should i be getting

what about the 010 dizzy i saw one on ebay
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Aug 2 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #6

Small Member

Member No.: 633

You bet. I had a very nicely built big bore motor in my car when I bought it. The PO used the pos 009 dizzy and I fought with that motor for over a year (this was before I found the different on line communities to educate me!) - then it dropped a seat. My new motor is a stock 2.0 - less the cam and the compression. We used a stock 2.0 dizzy and ran the vaccume line to the driverside carb. I cant believe the difference. I don't know how old my carbs are (Web 40's) but they had the ports on the side, they just needed to be opened up.
+Quote Post
sanman
post Aug 2 2004, 02:40 PM
Post #7

Leaving California

witch stock dizzy should i look for
how much advance at what rpm for the 009 for now
to be safe I dont want to overheat
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:06 AM