Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fiero vs. 914
Gearren
post Aug 2 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,362

My neighbor owns a stock 4 cylinder fiero and claims that his fiero can take out my 914/4 2.0 and that I need to get a good old fasion american car, what do you think.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ejm
post Aug 2 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #2

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224
Region Association: None

What exactly does he mean by "take out"?

Off hand I would say you need a new neighbor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Aug 2 2004, 05:10 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Tell him to get a Ferrari body kit, that'll make his F... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) even faster
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 2 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ejm @ Aug 2 2004, 04:08 PM)
What exactly does he mean by "take out"?

back into it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

find a windy backroad and show him some dust ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Aug 2 2004, 05:17 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4

from the numbers I found it could actually be a good drag race! I didn't think there were any cars as slow as a 914 but...

1984 pontiac fiero SE

0-60:

1/4 Mile:
+Quote Post
Ctrout
post Aug 2 2004, 05:21 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,091

I thought long and hard about the Fiat x1/9, Fiero, and 914 before I settled on the 914. As a result, I did much research on the performance and handling of all three. I think that the stock Fiero 4 cyl is probably a very close match for the 914. It was reported to hold .82g on the skidpad, 0-60 in about 11 seconds, and 1/4 mile in roughly 18 seconds. remember that these are only numbers and that driving ability plays a very large part as well. the course layout will likely favor one car or another as well. Good luck and make us proud. If he had the 88 Formula, you would get destroyed.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 2 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

and that I need to get a good old fasion american car, what do you think.
tell him that he needs to get one 1st (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The Fiero was a piss-poor attempt at building a sportscar (3 qrts of motor oil, what kind of piss-poor engineering is that???)....the last year of the V6's are okay (unless you have to give it a tune up), the 4 banger cars are a joke
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Aug 2 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #8

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Funny, my neighbor does have a fiero with the Ferrari body kit, his is a six that is all show no go, theres quite a few of them running around with V8's and grand national engines in them.
The 914 will out handle it, as far as acceleration I dont know.
+Quote Post
kc4ixi
post Aug 2 2004, 05:40 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,276

There are a lot of cars out there that might be faster than my 914, but there are very few that can out class my 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Let's see, Hmmmm, fiero or PORSCHE. I know my choice.

Robert
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 2 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 2 2004, 03:22 PM)
The Fiero was a piss-poor attempt at building a sportscar (3 qrts of motor oil, what kind of piss-poor engineering is that???)....

Interesting story on how the car came to be. Some Google research would probably get a better version for you, but...

One of the execs at GM wanted to build a lightweight good-handling mid-engine sports car. The word from the rest of GM management was, "no way, no how." So he sold it to them as a commuter car with good fuel economy, and left out all mentions of any kind of performance. He was given the go-ahead, but told that he had to use as many existing off-the-shelf parts as possible. Hence you get the suspension from a Chevy Citation (I think they used the front suspension on all four corners), crappy brakes, the miserable "Iron Duke" engine... And a zoomy plastic body that had lots of unrealized potential.

A number of years back, the local (Zone 7) PCA showed their Driver's Ed Ground School an in-car video from a car driving the "classic" line at Sears Point. The car was turning laps significantly faster than every then-current Porsche Club record at SP. The car? A full-on race-prepped Fiero. (Yeah, probably about as much "Fiero" in there as "914" in Brad's tube-frame car. But still....)

It's yet another story of a good idea being turned into excrement by a large committee. Which Detroit has historically been so very good at!!

--DD
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Aug 2 2004, 05:44 PM
Post #11

Anti-Post Whore

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 54

My neighbor owns a stock 4 cylinder fiero and claims that his fiero can take out my 914/4 2.0 ...

Take him out ...

Chances are, his 4-banger is in such sorry state (by now, most of them are) that you'll wave him by rather than see him throw a rod.

I've run into the occasional POS Fiero who thought he "had the time" ("You gonna clean MY clock? Yeah, right ..."); even gave a Fiero 6er a run for his money. Pissed his pants thinking he could stay with me down a curving off-ramp; saw his ass-end comin' around and lifted off, almost grazing the guardrail.

Doubt he'll make THAT mistake again.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 2 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #12

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

My dad had a Fiero when they were new. I had my first 914 at the same time. They were pretty similar performance-wise. He threw a rod and replaced the -4 with the GT's -6. Wow, it woke the car up nicely. Not as cool as a 914-6, but much better than the -4.

DD has the story right, they weren't to be sports cars, just nice looking affordable transpo.

I tried to convince my brother to get one a couple years ago when we were going out to Willow and BW frequently. I'm sure there are plenty of go-fast parts available now-adays for them.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 2 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #13

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Actually never even considered these cars as being in the same class. Hell even my 70 with a 1.7L would not have a problem whipping one of them ratted out POS.

The white dots alone are enough to scare em. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 2 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #14

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Hmmm... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Porsche 911 type front suspension vs Chevy Chevette... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) rip off Triumph TR7 only (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) ugly and slow.

Think about it. Would you race your grandmother in her Chevette if you know she was 3 quarts low on oil? I think your nieghbor is a few quarts low.

Now if they would have used Corvette parts, that would have been apples to apples.

We have a saying around here when insulting someones car or actions.

It's like riding in a Fiero, there ain't no way to do it and cool at the same time.

Tell him to come around when he gets a real car.
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Aug 2 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #15

Easy does it

Member No.: 61

About 11 years ago my dads buddy had a "Ferrari" with a turbo charged six. It was pretty fast i'll have to admit. I could never get him to admit though that it was a Fiero. To this day he still refers to it as his "Ferrari".
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 2 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #16

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE(Gearren @ Aug 2 2004, 03:02 PM)
My neighbor owns a stock 4 cylinder fiero and claims that his fiero can take out my 914/4 2.0 and that I need to get a good old fasion american car, what do you think.

You mean there is an actual running Fiero? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

PK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 2 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

What does "Fiero" mean anyway? Like a flame? As in going down in? If a Fiero is so great.. why did they stop making them? (Nevermind)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Aug 3 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #18

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Challenge your neighbor to attend the next SCCA autoX with you!
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Aug 3 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,349

I remember when the Fiero first came out, they were really new and interesting looking. People would compare them to Ferarris. Kinda like the "in car" back then. Anyway, just ask your neighbor when the next Fiero club meeting is, that you would like to attend. Chances are, there isn't one. No interest in that car.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Aug 3 2004, 04:10 AM
Post #20

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

A Fiero was the first car I bought brand new, in 1985. It had the V 6 and it was pretty fast. Fun to drive. The engine blew up one day, putting a 4" hole in the block. The dealer said I was my falt 'cuz there was no oil in it. Hard to keep oil in an engine with a 4" hole in it. In order to make the engine fit in the space they had, the designers shaved off about an inch of the depth of the oil pan. When it was FULL of oil it was 2 quarts low!!! Also, whenever it rained, water would pool in the rim of the sunroof and when you hit the brakes you got a little shower.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 05:48 PM