Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fiero vs. 914
AZ914
post Aug 3 2004, 07:53 AM
Post #21

914 Dumbass

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

I remember when the Fiero's came out.... I was 14 I believe and I loved them!! (keep in mind that I was 14). I remember getting my dad to go take a test drive so I could ride in one. I really liked the GT or -6. I became fascinated with the mid-engined layout and started looking at the 914. 6 years later I bought a 914.

I have to thank GM for sparking my interest in the 914. Thanks Dudes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 3 2004, 08:23 AM
Post #22

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Here is a good camparison for both the 914-4 and Fiero-4:

My First Porsche was a 74 2.0 914, black, really nice car. I would up wrecking it. Before you start bashing me for wrecking the 914 though, understand I was taking my Mom to a doctors appt. early in the morning. It was a bad situation. Anyway, we were fine and my insurance company cut me a check. With money buring a hole in my pocket, I went out and bought a 1988 4cyl Fiero. It had 11k miles on it was seemed like a brand new car to me. I figured (hey I was 17) it was like a new 914? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Anyway, I almost put the car in the ditch a few times because it basically handeled like an old 911 or type 1 VW. Lift off in a corner and you were toast. I would up trading it in on my first 911 (1968 911L) only a month later. The car was problematic as well, but I won't go into it.

My thought is drive what you want to. If someone has to say "I bet my car is faster than yours", they might as well say "My pennis is bigger than yours" and we all know when someone has to "one up" everone else, it is usually because they have pencil for a pennis and a POS car. Tell him to go take his High School mentallity down the street to the local high school. Oh and make sure he turns his hat sideways. That seems to ad some "stealth horse power" to just about any car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
red914
post Aug 3 2004, 09:03 AM
Post #23

...i believe in coyotes and time as an abstract...

Member No.: 1,641

OT reply:

soooo... if i turn my hat sideways i dont' need dual carbs? sweeeet...

Root, is was good to meet you saturday. too bad you and your friend couldn't join dino and me for wings at the wingdome. if you had ordered some, then dino and i could have foraged from two platters! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

hope the doors worked out ok. i was sooper happy to not bring them home. and dino was happy i didn't leave them at his house!
+Quote Post
post Aug 3 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 988

Fiero's are pretty much junk, I used to like the way the loaded v6's looked with the body kits from the factory, but then i realized that they pretty much just look cheap.

btw, I am assuming that most of use change our own oil and if so, the comments about the fiero only using 4 quarts of oil are a little hollow....IE-that's a bit more than the 914 takes.....
+Quote Post
Toast
post Aug 3 2004, 01:37 PM
Post #25

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

They guy wants to take out your teener with the transmission that he will drop in front of you with his POS Fiero.

Tell him to race a Hyundai. He may have competition there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
groot
post Aug 3 2004, 02:33 PM
Post #26

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

I used to auto-x my 914-4 2.0L against a V8 Fiero locally here in Detroit. We were both on street tires (I had tall and skinny 195-60s) and actually in the same class (weird auto-x classes here). We weren't nearly as equal as he wanted. Only if there was a decent straight stretch could he beat my times. Lots are generally small lots here.

I'm not saying this is typical, just interesting.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 3 2004, 02:35 PM
Post #27

Village Idiot

QUOTE(red914 @ Aug 3 2004, 07:03 AM)
OT reply:

soooo... if i turn my hat sideways i dont' need dual carbs? sweeeet...

too bad you and your friend couldn't join dino and me for wings at the wingdome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

hope the doors worked out ok.

Likewise! The Friend was my wife Michelle. I am a dork and should have introduced her. Sorry, I was just so caught up in parts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

The doors will work out great, I passed along the great deal to him. His drivers door has some pretty large rust holes, so these will make some of the repairs a little easier.

Wings! No-body mentioned wings! Oh man! I will have to stick around next time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
red914
post Aug 3 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #28

...i believe in coyotes and time as an abstract...

Member No.: 1,641

More OT reply:

yes, Root, stick around next time. and order a big platter of wings, and then look away frequently! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

it was only a morning of Porsche parts, but i thoroughly enjoyed it! on topic, why would anyone even consider a fiero? certain mr2s i can understand being tempted by, but a fiero? maybe it is me... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Ctrout
post Aug 3 2004, 07:11 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 2,091

The 88 yellow Formula is still VERY tempting to me.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 4 2004, 11:33 AM
Post #30

Village Idiot

Nah, steer clear of those things, litterally. I have also owned an 85 MR2, handles like a supper light 911. Very tight little car and I liked it, but the 914 is far superior to either one of the two. At least with the MR2, you got Toyota quality. Those engines would last a long time. The 2.5's and 2.8's used in Feiros were junk producing little hp for thier displacemnt in a small heavy car. 914's rule! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Howard
post Aug 4 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #31

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

OK, but just for fun..

Fiero was another GM Cluster F$%k on the 80's. Just when they were on track of getting it right, car was discontinued. The cast iron V6 was an anchor, but the GT did have a very sweet Getrag 5speed transaxle. With the right engine and a bit more development, could have been a killer car.

But they only sold 370,000. Nice number (less than 119,000 914's were built, and it was Porsche's best seller ever) but not for GM, so the project was scrapped.

Check the #'s on the on the 6cyl. Surprisingly similar to a boxster in most dimensions. With an updated engine and today's wheel/tire combo, bet it would perform about the same. No Porsche, of course, but half the price. IMHO it looks nicer.

Pontiac Fiero GT

PRICE:
LIST/AS TESTED $13,999/
$15,874

ENGINE/
DISPLACEMENT V6, OHV
(ci/cc) 173.1/2837

ENGINE HP, NET/ 135@4500rpm/
TORQUE (lb.-ft.) 165@3600rpm

ENGINE DRIVE mid/rear
LAYOUT

TRANSMISSION 5-speed manual
TYPE

WHEELBASE (in./mm) 93.4/2372

LENGTH OVERALL 165.1/4190
(in./mm)

WIDTH OVERALL 68.9/1751
(in./mm)

TRACK FRONT/ F: 59.7/1517
REAR (in./mm) R: 60.1/1527

CURB WEIGHT (lb.) 2790

STEERING TYPE/ rack-and-pinion/3.3
TURNS LOCK-TO-
LOCK

BRAKE SYSTEM F: 10.2-in. vented disc/
FRONT/REAR R: 10.2-in. vented disc

FUEL ECONOMY 17/16.15
(EPA city/PM test)

ACCELERATION 9.64
0-60 MPH (sec.) 16.36@83.56
1/4 mile (sec @ MPH)

BRAKING 151
60-0 MPH (ft.)

700-FT.
SLALOM (MPH) 59.84

SKIDPAD 200-FT
CIRCLE (G) .81

CARGO VOLUME 10.97
(cu. ft.)

INTERIOR SPACE 87.12
INDEX

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 4 2004, 02:02 PM
Post #32

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I still remember several years ago, on the way to Florida, we were going through Cincinnati in the middle of a snowstorm. The wife was driving and I was sleeping, to be woken up by wife shouting "OH SHIT-OH SHIT-OH SHIT!!!!". There was a Fiero spinning several times in front of us, just feet from our front bumper. The wife didn't panic as the Fiero spun 3 lanes across the hwy and down though an on-ramp. He never touched a thing, even though it was rush-hour traffic.

Pretty sure the dOOd needed a change of underwear though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Aug 4 2004, 02:13 PM
Post #33

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I took a Fiero 4 out for a test drive and nearly crapped my pants on an on ramp. It just could not handle like my 914.

I remember seeing a GTU class 914/6 at Sebring about 1986. It was running Fiero uprights in each corner, so I guess the race parts were not too bad.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 4 2004, 02:16 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

btw, I am assuming that most of use change our own oil and if so, the comments about the fiero only using 4 quarts of oil are a little hollow....IE-that's a bit more than the 914 takes.....

it's 3 qrts for the Fiero (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

check out the "buy now" price on eBay....it's good to know the 914's hold thier values way more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 4 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

I remember there was a little while when Fieros became known for spontaneous combustion -- while parked alone in parking lots.

About that time or a little after, I saw a French racing blue one in a BART station parking lot with the best (Fiero) license plate ever:

ON FIER

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)

pete
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Aug 4 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #36

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

undefinedI remember there was a little while when Fieros became known for spontaneous combustion -- while parked alone in parking lots.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was, and I swear I am not making this up, a guy who was selling plans to make your Fiero into a barbeque grill. His reasoning was that since it was gonna start on fire anyway, you might as well get a good burger out of the deal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:18 AM