Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> no-start update
MarkG
post Aug 2 2004, 08:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,102

Well my 'new' '76 still doesn't run, but didn't really expect it to with what I've done so far (remember it had wondering idle so I removed the TB cleaned it etc and it never ran for more than a minute since....)

I pulled the dizzy and replaced FI points, breaker plate, condenser, rotor, cap, NGK BP6Es plugs, wires and coil (Jacobs on the last 2). Adjusted TPS. CHT seems to perhaps has a poor connection (wires cut/spliced by PO).

Tested MPS and it failed vacuume hold test. Rebuilt one on order, new TPS on order, new CHT here, as are all vacuume lines and manifold boots.

Sending TB and injectors to EBS for rebuild and calibration (TB shaft has play and base is warped). I will pull the manifolds etc this week and verify no issues there or with plenum, then re-hose and re-boot everything.

PCV...don't see one....have a male connection comming off of oil fill cap plate with hose to air filter, but no PCV that I can see.....any ideas?

Thanks guys!! Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 2 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

76 didnt use a PCV on the oil filler. You *probably* dont have breather ports in the heads.

Should have a done a Pertronix and dumped the points...

I didnt see manifold gaskets or injector seals in your list of parts...

ALSO: when you do get it running... you need to check the plenum for cracks around the small tubes that pass down through it. You do this with brake cleaner or something else that causes the idle to falter (WD40 works also)

B
+Quote Post
MarkG
post Aug 3 2004, 08:54 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,102

New manifold gaskets and injector seals here already; how do you remove the plenum, does it just lift off after everything is disconnected?

Pertronix is a done deal once I FI up and running so I can properly dial in / time new ignition.

I will also check the manifold mating surface for flatness and machine as needed.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 3 2004, 12:10 PM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The plenum has three legs that go down to the case and are held in by various bolts. Two of them go a bit forward and to the sides, and are held on by engine tin retaining screws. The last one goes back to the case seam and is held on by a crankcase through-bolt; usually the one that has the FI grounding points on it.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:55 PM