Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Putting a 75 back on the road, finished my removable battery tray....and upgraded my blast cabinet
JStroud
post Nov 3 2011, 01:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

I finally got around to organizing my pictures to document my progress. I bought my car, a 75 914 2.0 in November 2010. It was originaly purchased in Sacramento Ca, the original owner sold it to his son in 1994, the son drove it until "it started running rough", and he parked it. It sat until 2008 when he sold it to his friend who was going to get it running, two years later it was still sitting, but with the engine out and pieces in boxes. So being the smart guy I am, I bought it. Here's some pics of the car when I got it home.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The PO had pulled the engine with the intent of fixing it, then somewhere along the way he purchased a "running" 73 2.0. So I have a spare motor.

Attached Image

I spent a few months buying books and reading what I could find, (never worked on a 914 before) found this website!
I decided to rebuild the original motor... here I go.

Attached Image

Got the engine stripped down, and the case split.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Found out why they parked it, looks like a dropped valve seat.

Attached Image

Damaged the top of the piston as well.

Attached Image

I took the case, heads, crank, and cylinders to the machine shop, Time to start some rust repair.

Attached Image

The battery tray was toast, the rest seems to be just surface rust, except the trunk it has a few rusted through pin holes.

Attached Image

After I finished removing the battery tray I pressure washed the engine compartment, trunk, and under the trunk.

Attached Image

I finished all this by february, but the next step was to sand blast the rust, and EVERY weekend it would be raining, so the car sat in the garage.
Then I had a major set back, My Dad was diagnosed with cancer in april, had surgery in May. So April - june are kind of a blurr, He has recovered very well, but progress on the car was slow for a while, had to get caught up on work.

I went to Doc's tranny clinic in Discovery Bay in June and rebuilt my transmission.
My tranny all apart.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Good thing Doc talked me into going, bearing was in pieces when I took it apart.

Attached Image

A few familiar faces.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

All done ready to install, wish the car was ready...

Attached Image

Of course in all the down time I did find time to do a little parts shopping.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And I decided to build a blast cabinet

Attached Image

Almost done

Attached Image

Ready for action.

Attached Image

And I did a lot of reorganizing in the garage, this is the first car I've done in 20 years, oh ya, did I mention i'm old.

Attached Image

Well the weather finally got nicer, work slowed up a bit and I finally got the car out and sandblasted.

Attached Image

After I finished sandblasting I washed the area down with metal prep, and then back in the garage for painting.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Almost ready to primer

Attached Image

Everything got two coats primer.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I decided to paint the engine compartment gloss black, and under the trunk and fender wells flat black.

Attached Image

I bought cans of color match paint online to paint the trunk.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

A final coat of clear and the painting is done.. for now.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
bohalrantipol
post Dec 9 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 7,353

Did you pick up those ARP head bolts from LN engineering? how much did you drop on those?
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Dec 9 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(bohalrantipol @ Dec 9 2011, 08:47 AM) *

Did you pick up those ARP head bolts from LN engineering? how much did you drop on those?

Couldn't find the invoice, but I think it was LN, I do remember they were around $325.00, not cheap. Hopefully worth it though.

Jeff
+Quote Post
bohalrantipol
post Dec 9 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,353

What was your logic in using them? Did you run a much higher compression ratio? I only ask as I am thinking of going down the same road, but the standard convention (thus spoke jake raby) is that it is not necessary unless you run Nickies or have a much higher compression ratio. I am thinking of doing 11:1....plus I like having much more heavy duty hardware....

QUOTE(jsconst @ Dec 9 2011, 04:17 PM) *

Couldn't find the invoice, but I think it was LN, I do remember they were around $325.00, not cheap. Hopefully worth it though.

Jeff

+Quote Post
JStroud
post Dec 9 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #24

While researching my engine combination they were something I thought I needed, I probably would have been fine with the stock ones for my engine, but I had already bought them and never mind something being better than it needs to be. I also used the ARP rod bolts.

Jeff

QUOTE(bohalrantipol @ Dec 9 2011, 03:34 PM) *

What was your logic in using them? Did you run a much higher compression ratio? I only ask as I am thinking of going down the same road, but the standard convention (thus spoke jake raby) is that it is not necessary unless you run Nickies or have a much higher compression ratio. I am thinking of doing 11:1....plus I like having much more heavy duty hardware....

QUOTE(jsconst @ Dec 9 2011, 04:17 PM) *

Jeff

+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Dec 9 2011, 10:30 PM
Post #25

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

Looking great Jeff. You've been busy.

My son totaled my '74 last month (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) so I'm starting a new one this month.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Dec 9 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #26

Thanks Lennie, Mark has made more progress on my project than I have lately, but progress is progress.
Sorry to hear about your 74, but new projects are always fun especially if they're financed by insurance.

Jeff

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Dec 9 2011, 08:30 PM) *

My son totaled my '74 last month (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) so I'm starting a new one this month.

+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Dec 11 2011, 12:33 AM
Post #27

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

great thread jeff, do you happen to remember what size drill bits and taps you used for you oil galleys? what size plugs and how many of each? i am just about to tear down my engine and this info would be real helpful.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 11 2011, 01:11 AM
Post #28

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Dec 9 2011, 09:30 PM) *

WHAT!!!!

Mental note... My Son will never drive my 914... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Do you still have that roller?
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Dec 11 2011, 01:34 AM
Post #29

5 - 3/8" plugs tap size 3/8 - 18 NPT drill 37/64
5 - 1/4" plugs tap size 1/4 - 18 NPT drill 7/16
1 - 1/8" plug tap size. 1/8 - 27 NPT drill 21/64

The large plug near the oil pump seems to vary by case or maybe year I've read some using 1/2 NPT plugs, mine was larger I had to use a 3/4 NPT I borrowed that tap and the 59/64 drill bit from my machinist for that one. But that's if you do them all, seems most only do the main 3/8" plugs.
Hope this helps.
Jeff

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 10 2011, 10:33 PM) *

great thread jeff, do you happen to remember what size drill bits and taps you used for you oil galleys? what size plugs and how many of each? i am just about to tear down my engine and this info would be real helpful.

+Quote Post
JStroud
post Dec 15 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #30

I went to Sonoma today and picked up my new motor from Original Customs.
McMark got it all put together and broke in. All the black parts he powder coated, sure looks pretty. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Now I need to get busy and finish cleaning and painting the rest of the parts so I can get it installed in the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

From a pile of parts on my garage floor....to this...Thanks McMark!!!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Can't wait to feel the difference from my tired stock 2.0 in my 74, to the new 2056 in the 75 when it gets finished.

Jeff

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 15 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #31

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Judging from his posts on Facebook Jeff, Mark is just as excited about the completion of his new addition. I'm really glad you two found each other!

Get that thing in and drive!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Dec 15 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 15 2011, 09:34 PM) *

Judging from his posts on Facebook Jeff, Mark is just as excited about the completion of his new addition. I'm really glad you two found each other!

Get that thing in and drive!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks to you Rob. Glad you pushed me to drive out and talk with Mark, he's a great guy, and does great work.

But unfortunately my parts broke his new cleaning machine, dropped off some parts yesterday, half way through the machine died. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
Guess its back to hand cleaning.

Jeff
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 16 2011, 09:04 PM
Post #33

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Yeah, Jeff broke my parts washer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Just kidding.

The motor went together relatively smoothly and ran GREAT on the test stand. The 'test-stand-feel' seemed slightly stronger than the usual 2056. Can't wait to get a ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Oh, and Rich says Certificates of Authenticity are on 'sale'. Read about it here.s
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Dec 17 2011, 07:46 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 16 2011, 07:04 PM) *

The motor went together relatively smoothly and ran GREAT on the test stand. The 'test-stand-feel' seemed slightly stronger than the usual 2056. Can't wait to get a ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

It's tempting to just hurry and get the motor in and drive it, especially now that it's sitting on my workbench staring at me. But I still have things I need(want) to do first.

Need to get the 74 back drivable to satisfy my (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) urges for now.

Once it's in, Sonoma will be the first place I go, to get it dialed in.
And after seeing the video of you driving robs car, I think I'll let you take me for a ride!

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Feb 25 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #35

Its been a while since I updated this, but I have been working. I got my trailing arms all sandblasted, primed and painted over the holidays.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The rest of the suspension parts got sandblasted, primed and painted.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Then a couple of weeks ago I finished sandblasting, priming, and painting the engine tin.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Today I went to the Breakfast in San Ramon, 13 914s showed up, fun morning.
I got home and decided to work on the car, but I need a break from cleaning, and sandblasting. So I decided to work on my battery tray, I wanted to install my new battery tray so it was removable. Heres how I did it.

I welded a piece of angle iron to the inside fender to sit just under the back edge of the tray. Then I welded a piece of flat stock on the bottom of the tray to create a slot for the angle iron to slip into. On the front of the tray I drilled four holes that lined up with the tray support bracket, I threaded the holes and threaded a screw in with the head cut off, then spot welded the top side. A little grinding to flatten out the welds and we have four studs sticking out the bottom.

After a few adjustments it fit snug and goes in and out easily.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I touched up the paint on the angle iron piece and the tray support with black rubberized undercoating paint, thought it might add cushion and maybe avoid a rattle, probably have enough rattles already.

One more coat of paint on the battery tray tonight, then one more item off the list.

Jeff
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Feb 25 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #36

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

Nice work!!!
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Feb 26 2012, 05:07 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

If you could outline the general spec's on the home made blast cabinet I would be interested. Nice progress on the car.
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Feb 26 2012, 09:36 AM
Post #38

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

I think those little meet-n-greets give everybody involved a little boost of motivation!

Nice work on the battery tray.
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Feb 26 2012, 09:44 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nice work on the battery tray.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Interesting thread with some helpful ideas, nice photo's and articulate narrative. Thank you very much and good luck.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Feb 26 2012, 11:08 AM
Post #40

Thanks everyone, seeing other 914s, and talking about them is always a good motivator.

I've had a few inquires about the blast cabinet I built, so I guess I'll put together a how to thread on it... Coming soon.

Now I can't decide... Go for a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) ....or more cleaning and blasting, still have the fan housing and injection components to go.

Thanks again everyone

Jeff
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:23 PM