Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> alternator, does it have a ground strap?
tod914
post Aug 3 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

75 2.0 Going to have the alt. harness replaced. I was wondering if the Alt has a ground strap just so I know ahead of time to order the part. The pet cd showed one, but I never seen it mentioned in a thread.

Thanks,

Tod
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
plas76targa
post Aug 3 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,700
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I just replaced my Alt wiring harness on my 73 1.7 ltr and it (alt) didn't have a ground strap. According to the DD artical on the bird site, the ground is the brown or D- wire.

Whether you replace the harness yourself or have a shop do it, be sure to reinstall the backing plate on the Alternator.

Search here on "alternator" one of the thread refers to the backing plate. Also, check the tech articles on bird board, they're very helpful.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 3 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #3

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Alternators ground through their mount to the engine, and the engine grounds through a strap to the body. On the 914, the strap is on the rear of the gearbox.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Aug 3 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Ok great, thanks guys. When I seen the strap listed, I wasn't sure. Wish I could just plug in the new harness without going through all BS in removing tin, etc.
+Quote Post
davep
post Aug 3 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #5

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

James is correct that the alternator grounds through the mount. That said, in many cases the mounting points often need to be cleaned. Quite often there is significant corrosion of the fan housing, and that can cause a voltage drop on the ground side of the circuit. One good check is to put the alternator under a heavy load (fans running, headlights on, etc) and measure the voltage difference between the alternator body and the battery ground terminal.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:07 PM