Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Impeller Removal, turn turn turn
jandro62
post Aug 3 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,156

So I've got the motor & tranny on a dolly in my driveway. I've removed the engine tin and have gotten the front half of the impeller housing off. How do I remove those 12-point bolts without turning the motor? I remember reading somewhere that jamming a screwdriver between the fanblades is a serious no-no.

Also, I'm about to split the transmission off the rear... is that straightforward?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
machina
post Aug 3 2004, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

I'm not totally clear about the bolts you are refering to. If they are the ones on the fan itself, you don't need to remove those, only the 3 bolts that secure it to the crank end.

also, you don't have to open the blower housing to remove it, at least I didn't.

dr
+Quote Post
jandro62
post Aug 3 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,156

I'm swapping the housing and other gear over to a longblock, so it all needs to come apart. There are three bolts around the center of the fan that appear to hold it in place.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 3 2004, 01:14 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

hold the flywheel.......there are a few holes in the back of the flywheel that can be accessed thru the hole in the case on the top of the engine on the opposite side of the starter.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 3 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #5

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Unless you want to clean the inside of the blower housing, you don't need to take it apart. Just remove the 3 bolts in the center of the fan, pull it out, remove the 4 nuts that hold the housing to the case, and the one holding the oil cooler bracket to the housing, and pull it off. Oh, don't forget the thermostat wire ............... HTH, The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 3 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I have used a screwdriver through the fan blades. I kept it toward the back where the blades are joined to the body of the fan, not up front where they are unsupported. I figured that they weren't getting much force that way. Plus the direction of the load doesn't change the way it will if you're trying to turn over the engine with the screwdriver....

Hopefully this isn't anything you're going to be doing every 6000 miles, either! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:52 PM