Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flashing Light, Dash light question
Mike's2nd914
post Apr 26 2003, 08:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 616

Hi guys! I'm new to the board. My wife just bought me a '74 2.0 as a suprise. She got it from the guys at Automobile Atlanta. It runs but that's about all I can say about it. It's going to need lots of attention to make it a driver. One thing I cannot figure out: when I got it, no blinking light on the dash. Now, the wide light (the one on the left side that blinks when the hazzards are on, its marked by a "B"), it flashes all the time. I cannot find anything in the shop manual. Is this an indicator of some kind or is the flasher just bad or what? I really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 26 2003, 08:23 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

e-brake not fully down?

mastercylinder bad?

I'm guessing here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 26 2003, 08:36 AM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(Mike's2nd914 @ Apr 26 2003, 06:00 AM)
Hi guys! I'm new to the board. My wife just bought me a '74 2.0 as a suprise. She got it from the guys at Automobile Atlanta. It runs but that's about all I can say about it. It's going to need lots of attention to make it a driver. One thing I cannot figure out: when I got it, no blinking light on the dash. Now, the wide light (the one on the left side that blinks when the hazzards are on, its marked by a "B"), it flashes all the time. I cannot find anything in the shop manual. Is this an indicator of some kind or is the flasher just bad or what? I really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Mike

Welcome to the Board.....AA is not a well recommended parts or auto seller. I hope you got a good one, but I would suggest buying your parts from other vendors in the future.

Ask any question you want, we are here to help....some of the answers may even be right.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
tryan
post Apr 26 2003, 09:18 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 184

mueller is on the money. you can disconnect the wire to the parking brake handle ( edit...at the dash) to check for shorts in the wire or the switch. if your mc is bad pelicanparts is a good parts source and wiring diagrams.

welcome to the board, but the right answers cost extra. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 26 2003, 10:31 AM
Post #5

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

As others have eluded to, that's the brake light. Either your parking brake lever switch is bad or not being activated by the handle (or some other obstruction), or the brake pedal has been floored and the master cylinder reset switch needs to be reset, or the master cylinder is bad, or.... The first 2 are the most likely.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Apr 26 2003, 11:19 AM
Post #6

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

If you're scratching your head about the master cylinder reset switch comment... There is a little push-button switch on the side of the master cyl. It's small. You can reach it throught the drivers side wheel well. It's a strech, but you can get your arm back in there and push the button with your fingertip. It's next to or between the two brake line fittings on the side of the MC.

First check the e-brake though. It's easy to not have it pushed down the last 1/2" or so.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 26 2003, 11:23 AM
Post #7

Mike Ginter

I was waiting for him to ask for a pic. The one I just found. It wouldn't hurt to take a peek at it to see if it's popped out.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike's2nd914
post Apr 26 2003, 07:43 PM
Post #8

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bet it has something to do with the brakes being floored. The right rear caliper was frozen when we got the car but everyone had to take it around the block. The brakes overheated and the pedal hit the floor on the last trip.

Yeah, AA is high, no doubt about it. Years ago I had a '75 1.8 (man I miss that car). I picked up a few parts from them when I could not find them anywhere else. Any suggestions on good places to get parts are welcomed!!!

I have to say, she got a good deal on this car. It's a great project car and she gave next to nothing for it. Should be fun!
+Quote Post
Mike's2nd914
post Apr 26 2003, 07:47 PM
Post #9

That fixed it!!! Hit the reset button, no light! Thanks a lot. I'm sure I'll be a regular here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 26 2003, 07:47 PM
Post #10

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

www.pelicanparts.com
www.performanceproducts.com
www.paragonproducts.com

etc, etc....good for parts and all your other porsche needs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 26 2003, 08:16 PM
Post #11

Mike Ginter

That fixed it!!! Hit the reset button, no light! Thanks a lot. I'm sure I'll be a regular here!
Happy to have you on the board. BTW, this is a pretty good indication that you need some brake work. I'm sure you realize that. Even if the brakes do seem to function OK, you should definitely give them a full flush and bleed.
+Quote Post
Mike's2nd914
post Apr 26 2003, 09:07 PM
Post #12

Actually, they barely function at all. It will be a while before this one is a real driver. I need to rebuild/replace all the calipers, repack bearings, flush and replace fluid, most of the gauges do not work. In general, it needs some TLC.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 27 2003, 01:33 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Welcome Mike <<< (I have to say that..its in my non-paying job description) ha ha

Please feel free to ask about vendors and the such. Everybody here has a favorite and will support only the best vendors...

B
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 27 2003, 06:59 AM
Post #14

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

do not forget the wtb's in the classifieds here and at the pelican site. if you look around you'll find you'll save a fair ammount. sometimes i look around and say to myself "what am i going to do with all this stuff".

kevin
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:32 AM