Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A tale of 3 red 914s, never ending search for 914
Cool914
post Nov 4 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,627
Region Association: Canada

I first drove a 914 about 20 years ago, was in University and had some disposable cash and was looking for a fun car. I had always loved the look of 914s and found one of the few in the city for sale. I knew nothing about them really, took it for the day to bring to a mechanic to check it out, before I got there found out I could not close the doors with the roof off and a buddy in the car, and getting into 1st was quite a chore. Needless to say I didnt buy it and ended up with a TR6, whole other story(it was red as well as luck would have it).

Fast forward to last December, I was itching for a project after getting my cottage that I had recently purchased up and running. I searched for a cheap 914 in my area and found one. Drove down to it about 6 hours away, it was ugly but I was there and was looking for a challenge so I rented a uhaul trailer and headed back home to Ottawa with it, hit a huge snow storm, highway was down to 1 lane of one foot of snow, it was one of the longest nights of my life but made it home in one piece. After tearing it apart I realize the passenger inner and outer longs were toast, floor was a mess, inner wheelhouse was "vented", and driver side outer long was toast as well, and under the gas tank I had some more "venting", the front bumper brackets were crusty. I bought a bunch of stuff from restoration design and a rotisserie from cantley914 on here and was on my way to a long restoration, which was what I was looking for, something to tinker with in the evenings after sitting behind a desk all day. Also wanted to learn to weld so bought a welder.

Couple weeks ago I see another 914 for sale 6 hours away while looking for parts, it seems in great shape, ran and the bumpers, interior and other stuff seemed to make it worth the 2K for me. Took a bus down, great guy who had only had it a few months picked me up and brought me to the license bureau where the car was waiting. Got in it, not know anything about it, took it out on the highway and started on my way home, what a blast, it drove geat and made it home safe and sound.

Have had a peak under it, needs some long patching but it seems in great shape otherwise. So in my garage I now I have 2 914s, 2 1.7 engines, 1 rebuilt 2.0 engine, and a garage full of parts, luckily I have a 2 car garage. All and all i am in heaven and trying to figure out what to do, likely keep the good stuff off car #1 and get car #2 cleaned up. Now all I need is to insulate my garage and get a heater in there!
Just thought I would share my story and confirm yet again that these things are addictive. No doubt I will have some question for y' all in the months to come. Now off to find a car shelter since my garage is full and snow is on the way!
Attached Image as I saw it in the add
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Cool914   A tale of 3 red 914s   Nov 4 2011, 06:56 PM
Cool914   another of caar #1 and some of car #2   Nov 4 2011, 06:59 PM
BigDBass   And so it begins... :wttc: :trophy:   Nov 4 2011, 07:02 PM
bandjoey   Another Dirty Grizzzly Story of the Dark Side....S...   Nov 4 2011, 07:58 PM
rick 918-S   :wttc: :welder: :assimilate:   Nov 4 2011, 08:11 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 06:47 PM