Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Home Gym, what do YOU have?
Scott Carlberg
post Aug 5 2004, 01:56 AM
Post #1

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Group: Members
Member No.: 580

Now that I'm gainfully employed again, I'd like to get a home-gym, and while
free-weights & bench seem to be the cheapest way to go, I was wondering....

Does anyone have any experience with the CrossBar by Weider?
http://www.crossbarfitness.com/crossbar/index.html

or their Platinum version,
http://www.platinumcrossbar.com/platinum/6...0/splitter.html

Anyone using anything else?

tia
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 5 2004, 02:01 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Concept II rowing machine! YEAH!!!!

(IMG:http://www.conceptii.com/media/Dseamless_760.jpg)

Love IT!
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 5 2004, 06:27 AM
Post #3

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Has somebody realized it is easier and cheaper to lose 10 lbs off you back side than off the teener?

Don't even need that. just good old push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, lunges, jump jacks. I have a ton of them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) Set a goal of say 20 reps of each exercise. Quickly move from one to the next and repeat the circuit three times. Each week ad 5 reps to everything. Since people don't start burning fat calories till 45 minutes of strenous activity you should strive to work out for this long. You can also supplement a brisk walk or ride a grilie stationary bike.

I have a Nordic Track that I got for 10 bucks works great but my mind goes numb after 5 minutes. too loud to watch Speed channel.
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Aug 5 2004, 07:10 AM
Post #4

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'm with Joe. Calisthenics works for me.

I do have a Schwinn spinner. It's great if you love bikes and want to burn calories and condition your legs.Sometimes it gets covered up with 914 work clothing.

But maybe you're looking to increase your strength, etc. I've never used any of that type of equipement.

I bench pressed my tranny recently. Twice... unfortunately. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
red914
post Aug 5 2004, 07:25 AM
Post #5

...i believe in coyotes and time as an abstract...

Member No.: 1,641

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

a freestanding pullup and dip bar is a nice addition. regular exercises work great. for an idea of what is possible with this sort of routine, check out www.stewsmith.com
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 5 2004, 08:06 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Dont buy anything Scott, they become room ornaments in less than 6 months. You want something.. buy a gym membership and get out of the house.

B
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Aug 5 2004, 09:06 AM
Post #7

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

I agree with Brad. I find it really hard to exercise at home. Too much other stuff to do, and I get distracted pretty easily. I prefer to go to a gym. As far as weight training equipment, I prefer free weights. Get a few bar bells, a bench press bar, a decent selection of weight, and a good bench. You have way more different exercises you can do, and in my opinion, you get a better work out. With free weights, you work the stabilzer muscles, as well as the target muscles. Those fancy systems may look cool, but they're pretty expensive, and not as useful as a good set of weights.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 5 2004, 09:11 AM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Scott,

being single as you are, go to the gym !!!!!

I've been going to the Fremont 24 Fitness for the last few weeks, your mind will get a workout as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Aug 5 2004, 09:26 AM
Post #9

Is winter done yet?

Member No.: 1,082

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 5 2004, 09:06 AM)
Dont buy anything Scott, they become room ornaments in less than 6 months. You want something.. buy a gym membership and get out of the house.

B

My student job is repairing equippment here at the U of M rec center. I'm the head of the department (read: only one in the department (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) ) Anyway i know way more about commercial fitness equippment than i honestly want to.

When i hit a time in my program when i start to plateau it's nice to have a big gym with a large variety of equippment so i can switch up the programm with similar but slightly different different lifts to break out of the slump. I don't feel like you have this opportunity with the swiss-army style at home gyms.

Oh another plug for going to a gym...NICE SCENARY!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

David
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Aug 5 2004, 09:28 AM
Post #10

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

Ya, I forgot about the scenary! A big plus about going to the gym. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Aug 5 2004, 09:31 AM
Post #11

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 5 2004, 07:27 AM)
Has somebody realized it is easier and cheaper to lose 10 lbs off you back side than off the teener?

Don't even need that. just good old push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, lunges, jump jacks. I have a ton of them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) Set a goal of say 20 reps of each exercise. Quickly move from one to the next and repeat the circuit three times. Each week ad 5 reps to everything. Since people don't start burning fat calories till 45 minutes of strenous activity you should strive to work out for this long. You can also supplement a brisk walk or ride a grilie stationary bike.

I have a Nordic Track that I got for 10 bucks works great but my mind goes numb after 5 minutes. too loud to watch Speed channel.

I have a cheap set of barbells with adjustable weights(15$ at a garage sale) I use while watching tv and do pushups and stretchs, lotsa stretches... I've gotten out of the routine since getting married, but at least I don't have an appliance taking up 1/2 a room... or pay a monthly fee for something I didn't use when I had it(gym membership)... I had a hard time making myself go to a gym membership when none of my friends were going either...

the exercise never got me any chicks, but I've never been accused of being over weight either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Aug 5 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #12

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

That's a good point. You can get pretty far with dumb bells, push ups, crunches, and sit-ups.

My recommendation is that whatever home exercise equipment you buy, you buy it used for pennies on the dollar. It's like buying a 914-6 conversion. Go check Good Will or Salvation Army thrift stores.

For home equipment I think the Nordic Track is awesome. It basically works legs, abs, and arms all at once and it's kind of fun.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 5 2004, 09:54 AM
Post #13

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Aug 5 2004, 12:56 AM)
Anyone using anything else?

200 pound sand-filled punching bag suspended from the ceiling.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 5 2004, 10:26 AM
Post #14

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Try keeping up with those knuckle heads on TV. Just close the shades so nobody sees you looking stupid. These will kick your out of shape ass. even if you are in shape it is still challenging.

Anybody remember the 30 minute workout? My heart rate wnet up just watching those chics
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Aug 5 2004, 10:49 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

A gym membership is like the kiss of death, IMHO. You pay every month for something you never use, and then you kick youself in the ass for paying for nothing, as well as forbeing out of shape. I'd much rather hate myself for being out of shape for free. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm not a morning person, so obviously no early morning workouts for me. When I get off work, I just want to change, cook, eat, and relax with my SO and dog. It's hard to cook, eat, change, drive to the gym, work out, shower, get home, change, and then sleep. I guess I just don't have the self discipline. I do 200 situps a night though.

Jen
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 5 2004, 10:55 AM
Post #16

CUMONIWANNARACEU

working out with SO can be very motivating. Wife and I used to go to GYM nearly every day. Don't go home, go straight to gym. limit time to 1 hour and get out. If you have somebody relying on you to show up then you just have to go.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 5 2004, 10:56 AM
Post #17

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I've got some 10 lb dumbells, a 75 lb bar, and a cross beam for pull ups....

Its the best way man...
+Quote Post
1bad914
post Aug 5 2004, 10:56 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,028

I play tennis on two travel teams, I play at least two-three times a week it allows me to do a proper work out, 12- 22 0z curls of Newcastle Brown Ale...or the "Dog". I walk the "Dog" as often as I can! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) Still 6 foot and 165 pounds @ 43 years of age. Gotta love good genetics!
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Aug 5 2004, 11:01 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

Problem is we have a dog we keep crated (everyone keep their opinions to themselves on this one) during the day, so I try to get back to Snoopy by 5:30 at the latest on any given day. I take him for walks, but he's a scent hound, so he's sniffing everything. It's not like I get a vigorous workout from that.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I love my laziness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Just getting my $.02 worth in on gyms.

Jen
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 5 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #20

CUMONIWANNARACEU

"We are all creatures of habit". "Objects in motion stay in motion". Lazy is as Lazy does. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 08:46 AM