Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this piece structurally important?, Question for the pros
Matt914MI
post Apr 26 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 260
Region Association: None

Alright guys, I'm finally getting more of the rusted through floorpan cut out, but I need to know it this piece is structurally significant.

(IMG:http://mcchicken.homeip.net:2080/pics/2003-04-26/CNXT0009.JPG)

It's almost rusted through, and I'd like to cut it out, but I don't know. If it is important, can I weld in some tubing a little in front of it and cut out what's there? All I know is that this is a huge project, and I'm really sick of scraping out all that tar shit.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zeke
post Apr 26 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #2

Never left, but not right....

Member No.: 197

As you already can see, it holds the seat adjustment ratchet, so it is important for that alone. I left the ones in my race car because I bolted the race seat to it. If it weren't there, the front of the seat would deflect the floor pan in hard acceleration and braking situations. Other than the comfort and safety of the seats, I don't think it does anything for the chasis as a whole.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 26 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #3

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I would think without the cross member the floor pan would droop from the weight of the driver and passanger over time. Also any bolting of the seats through the pan would eventually cause stress cracks in the pan. That's the reason for the little stampings and the hinge on the rear of the seat. It spreads the load.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 26 2003, 11:31 PM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I don't think that cross piece has any structural significance to the chassis itself. I wouldn't remove it though for the same reasons that have already been mentioned.

BTW - I removed half of the tar from my floor pans today. Get a heat gun. Heat that stuff up a little bit, and it comes right up fairly easily. I'll have the rest done and the pan clean with about 3 more hours work tomorrow
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 27 2003, 12:42 AM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

nope, we take them out on all the race cars to mount the seats to the floor. all it does is holding the seat adjustment ratchet for the stock seats. if you plan on putting the stock seats back in, replace it with a good one, otherwise, cut it out ...

Andy
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 27 2003, 01:01 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

The piece is more for side impact protection than anything else.

Your cant properly mount FIA approved seat/seat brackets without cutting this out.

As soon as you cut it one time in any place.. you will see how worthless it is. The only strength is where the seat adjuster is.

B
+Quote Post
Matt914MI
post Apr 27 2003, 10:49 AM
Post #7

Thanks guys. I figured it wasn't too important since it is pretty much rusted through at the passenger side long. Chopping it out will make it easier to put in the new pan. I'll post lots of pics next week after it's all cleaned up when I start welding.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Apr 27 2003, 11:25 AM
Post #8

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

MAtt,
Where in MI are you located?
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Apr 27 2003, 11:28 AM
Post #9

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

If you're going to cut it out, make sure you mark carefully where it lined up. When I replaced that section, I was slightly off, and it made seat adjusting a real bitch.

A BFH fixed my problem... but I could have been more careful.

Live and learn,
Rusty
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 27 2003, 12:39 PM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Brad,

I had this piece cut out on my club racer for the same purpose... to mount the seat on the floor.

Allen Johnsen, was concerned... said that the brace helped with torsional rigidity.... convinced me to weld back a square brace a foot forward of the seat....

now I'm confused due to the fact that I place a lot of value to your thoughts as well as AJ's....

Care to offer any insight into how you came to your conclusions... The neither my old or new race car will be allowed to have the cage tied into the suspension if this factors in.

TIA
brant
+Quote Post
Matt914MI
post Apr 27 2003, 06:19 PM
Post #11

Well, it's cut out now, along with most of the existing floorpan down to shiny metal. Tomorrow morning I'm going to finish cleaning it all up, and hopefully I'll be welding by Wednesday. I won't be needing a replacement, since I won't be using factory seats. Thanks for the advice guys.

Curvie,

I'm way over on the west side of the state, in the Holland/Grand Rapids area. Hopefully I'll be able to make some of the SMOG meets this summer.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:10 AM