Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Renshift, Springs
J P Stein
post Aug 10 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #21

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Our AX this last Sunday had a curving 3rd gear blast that really got ones attention (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif).....the car would really move around on that rough surface.... followed by a square corner that required all the brakes and a downshift to second. While thrashing my car, old Chuck made his best attempt to get it into reverse (down shifting/braking at turn in to kick the back end around....ones plate is full (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )......I could hear the grind from 200 yards away.........AAAUUUGGHH.

Oh well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) he was fast.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 10 2004, 03:20 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

why don't you try some of james' nylon or solid motor mounts?

Gottem (SMM)!

All the potentially movable parts are either solid, new or recently rebuilt. Brad can verify.

I'll bet the issue is corning loads, which we've essentially been increasing as we've modified the car during the last 4 events.

During the time of the last 4 event we've added adjustable high performace Koni's in the back, a Smart Racing Product ASW in the front, 250# springs in the back and new sticky slicks.

And of course as the car handles better - it is being driven faster with increased cornering load.

I'm putting in the new 12lb. RennShift springs tonight. If they don't keep me straight, then we'll figure out what is next with RennShift.

Hey, anyone out there got 24lb springs? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Aug 10 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

I most think it's most likely the driver and nothing mechanical
When you're shifting under heavy side loads, your shifting movement will be off because the sideloading will make your body move, so you're basically pushing or pulling the shiftlever sideways (you may not even be aware of it)

Hopefully the stiffer springs in the rennshift will solve it.
You could also try moving your seat a little more forward or upright

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 10 2004, 06:50 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Randal is 6'1 200+ lbs.. we dont have much room to move his seat. I told him the same thing... I figured his arm weight is helping to move the shifter when he has to shift in the middle of a corner. He has also had issues nicking reverse when making the 1-2 upshift with one hand on the wheel and one on the shifter.

Something I will do before the next event is install a modified shift rod. His rod going through the rear shift console bushing is loose (even though it has a new bushing with a thinner inside diameter hole) We are losing side to side motion in that bushing. The front to back motion is not affected.

B
+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 10 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

modified shift rod

Guess it had to happen sooner or later.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 10 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I want to weld one up and machine it down so it fits that shift console bushing perfectly. The ideal situation would be to run a heim joint there and let the rod slide through it. This would give us PRECISE shift rod action.

The other way to do it... something I have never posted...

Extend the shift rod to another bushing in line with the one in the stock location. This would support the shaft in two area's instead of one. Hard to describe, but it would require tig welding a piece from a old broken shift console to your new one and extending the shift rod through a second bushing.

B
+Quote Post
drew365
post Aug 10 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #27

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

I have one spot at Willow Springs small track that I have to shift under heavy side load from 2nd to 3rd and the trans either will crunch or not engage. I'm certain that it's caused by flexing on my tub. I plan on connecting my roll cage to the rear shock towers and possibly the shock towers to the top of the tranny mounts, in the near future. If that doesn't work I may fire the driver. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 10 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Brad.

So this sounds like you need the car? Marina is coming up soon, so tell me the date.

BTW will this eliminate the lack of engagement feeling that happens when you engage 2nd standing still? Ugh, does that make sense?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 12 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Progress!

The new 8" steel shifter rod is being machined as we speak.

It will be machined to fit tight in the bushing. We will alter the bushing a bit, so it slides, when we get ready to weld the rod on to the rest of the shifting rod/ lever, fork or whatever that call it.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Aug 12 2004, 11:21 AM
Post #30

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 10 2004, 05:05 PM)
I want to weld one up and machine it down so it fits that shift console bushing perfectly. The ideal situation would be to run a heim joint there and let the rod slide through it. This would give us PRECISE shift rod action.

I purchased a bronze bushing (the type held by a c-clip) from the bird and found that the inside diameter was about the same as the stock plastic bushing and the shift rod still had plenty of loose play. Like the plastic bushing the inner diameter of the bronze busing appears to be tapered, i.e. the inner diameter is larger at one end than the other.

I went to a local hobby shop and bought a piece of brass tubing that fit smoothly over the machined end of the shift rod where it rides in the busing. This was to be used to sleeve the bushing down to match the shift rod. I took the brass bushing and tinned the inner surface with solder. I cut a piece of the brass tubing the same length as the bushing and placed it inside the bushing. It was almost a perfect interference fit. I cleaned both pieces, added flux, hit it with the propane torch, added a bit of solder, polished it up and now have a bushing that is a fairly snug fit. The bad news is it is not yet installed, but I hope it works well. I'm concerned about possible binding though. Just in case I have a new plastic bushing standing by.

After doing this, it occurred to me that the shift rod itself could be sleeved with either a brass or other metal tube to achieve the same thing, a rod and bushing combination that fit with less play. This sleeve could be epoxied onto the shift rod which means it could be ground off if necessary. Then either the plastic or bronze bushing could be used with a snug fit.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 12 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

I'm using solid motor mounts and nylon bushings.

What we're doing now:

Changing to the 12lb springs.

Building a new shift rod end, that will be very tight to the nylon bushing.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 12 2004, 06:37 PM
Post #32

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 10 2004, 05:05 PM)
The other way to do it... something I have never posted...

Extend the shift rod to another bushing in line with the one in the stock location.

I've seen pics of that, somewhere... Someone's race car, but I don't remember whose or where I saw the pics.

--DD
+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 12 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

I've seen pics of that, somewhere...

Come on Dave, you've got to remember! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
JWest
post Aug 12 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 97

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 12 2004, 07:37 PM)
I've seen pics of that, somewhere... Someone's race car, but I don't remember whose or where I saw the pics.

--DD

Yeah, I've seen that too. Maybe the other Brumos car (one had a Hewland) or another historical GT.

You have to be careful taking out the bushing slop, as at some point the linkage will bind up. It is not a perfectly aligned system. Adding another support and an extra u-joint would perfect it, but unfortunately will only make it incrementally better for a lot of work.

I may try it anyway... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 20 2004, 09:13 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Great Customer Service!

Thanks James for re-building my Rennshift and getting it back so quickly.

Randal
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:49 AM