Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> acetone solvents harm paint?
bongo monkey
post Aug 9 2004, 02:55 PM
Post #1

Dented member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

Quick question: will acetone solvents harm the paint on my car? I need to remove some Krazy Glue spilled from a leaky tube when I was gluing a loose piece of trim back on...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nsyr
post Aug 9 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Because I Can

Member No.: 2,073

Use something less potent like goof off. Acetone may dull the finish. WD-40 works pretty good too and lighter fluid. Test a spot where it won't be seen to see if harms the paint.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 9 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #3

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Depends on the paint, but yes, acetone will remove some of the paint in most cases. I'd also advise using something like Goof-Off. If you find you must use something stronger (and I've had some adhesives that required acetone to do the job), expect some paint to come off on the rag with the adhesive, and use as little as possible.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Aug 9 2004, 06:25 PM
Post #4

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ya might be lucky...

Was there any wax on the car where the glue fell? Glue joints are no better than the surface they stick to, and if you'r lucky, its some wax the glue is sticking to.

It seems cyanoacrylate glues are lousy in shear and great in tension. That means if you pull on them, they are strong. If you push from the side , they pop. Try taking a fingernail and pushing the glue blob sideways or a gentle tap with a blunt smooth piece of wood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Hope this helps...

Ken
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 10:06 PM