Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A whole new meaning to Manual Shift, Sad, but true
BCinSC
post Nov 21 2011, 01:29 PM
Post #1

Nothing but Trouble

Group: Members
Member No.: 800
Region Association: North East States

So Blanche has been on ramps for a few weeks awaiting time and a shift bar knuckle from Germany. Old bushings had simply disintegrated and I was no long able to pick a gear and the cone set screw was long ago stripped by PO. I had enough time to assemble new knuckle with bushings (using warm oven trick to allow metal to expand a little so I had a chance of getting bushings seated; even chilled bushings for shrinkage), change ball cup (that was easier than I was lead to believe in PP article), and rear rod bushing, but didn't get to firewall bushing and getting front and rear shift bars back together. Was really tired of her just sitting there, so I set her in first gear, started her up and drove off ramps. Then drove over to local, friendly gas station in first gear and had a sticker put on.

Now the humorous manual shift: To get back out of the inspection bay, I had to reach up under and switch to reverse. Start up, back out, shutdown. Reach up under again (nice warm muffler, mind you) and put back in first. Then drove home.

Stupid, but functional. Can't wait to drive her for real before the snow flies.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 1)
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 21 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Group: Members
Member No.: 666

Why did you have get a shifrt rod coupler from Germany? I have several and I'll bet so do a lot of other folks here. I don't think all that is really necessary to change shift bushings. the only one that might be a pain is the fire wall bushing. If you would have posted here first, we could have saved you a lot of trouble.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:51 AM