Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Got a Optima!, Install, fits good but...
Mark Henry
post Apr 28 2003, 07:45 PM
Post #1

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

The old hold down clamp and the other side doesn't grab and hold down the battery nice and tight.
Sure, I can figure it out, but someone may have done it a better way. I've already thought about sticking a piece of plywood under it, thanks, but no thanks.

So, what was your solution?

My + side just reaches with a bit of slack, enough I think, - no problem.

Spendy, I got a red top at Costco with tax $184 Canadian bucks, the yellow top and the blue were 209 and 229 bucks + tax. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
It does have both top and side posts, but turned around you can't see the side posts and it clears the rain tray.

I might just have to slap the ol' insurance on her tomorrow. We're into nicer weather finally.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
autoxadict
post Apr 28 2003, 08:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 567

I happened to pick one of those up from Costco also. $90. But be careful, I had one in my BMW 635 and the alternator killed it. On the problem with it fitting, mine didn't have a problem, but the car isn't here right now so I can't tell you how I worked it. I just know it works without any mods. Good luck with it and if you don't solve it I'll get back to you on what I did with mine, as soon as I see it again.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 28 2003, 08:10 PM
Post #3

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

My Optima came with these black plastic tabs that snap on to the base. The tabs made it fit properly with the stock battery tray/clamp.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 28 2003, 08:46 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

This one had a cover that protected the top posts for shipping. It says you can put it on the bottom and it would fit the clamps proper but one it raises the battery another 3/4". The battery cables get a bit short then, plus then the battery is held on by little plastic clips. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Maybe a sheet of plastic under it or some kind of block/spacer or the ol' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

I didn't look at it too long, to beat, hard long day at the ol' grind today.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 28 2003, 08:49 PM
Post #5

2270 club

I had to install a longer ground strap because I bought the red-top Optima but the orange-top one would have fit without a problem.
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Apr 29 2003, 12:07 AM
Post #6

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Here's how I mounted my Optima...I used a piece of aluminum and bolted it into the inner wall and the floor of the tray. It doesn't go anywhere on the auto-x or big tracks.....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Apr 29 2003, 02:11 AM
Post #7

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Will have to check Costco....Parts Source has Optimas in their flyer this week $239 + taxes (On Sale)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 29 2003, 02:22 AM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Bill is running his Optima exactly how I run mine (except I remove the plastic carry handle) It doesnt leak acid.. so I'm not afraid to carry it without a strap.

Bill flipped the battery around making the terminals line up with the factory cables. Works great.

B
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 29 2003, 07:09 AM
Post #9

that's what I do!

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Apr 29 2003, 12:11 AM)
Will have to check Costco....Parts Source has Optimas in their flyer this week $239 + taxes (On Sale)

Part Sources' price on the Optima was outrageous. It was $200 Can bucks during the winter, then they cranked the price way up then put it "on sale".
Thanks but :finger2:

Their motto should be, "Were just like Crappy tire only crappier".

Higher prices and no Canadian Tire money for the same parts and service. I wonder how long they will throw money at their Part Source chain stores experiment before they pack it in.

Costco was way cheaper and the funny thing is I don't usually find Costco's prices that great, so Part Source is totally gouging customers.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Apr 29 2003, 12:48 PM
Post #10

King of Road Trips

Mark,

Parts Source was set up by the owners of Canadian Tire stores to close the hole in that segment of the market which Pep Boys/ect has taken in the USA. To keep them out of the market place here. It allows the CTC stores to concentrate on their core sku's without having to hire staff which actually knows anything about cars or parts. The Parts Source guys actually know a thing or two about cars (except P cars) and they car order/source stuff for you from all over.

Bought a starter from them in Calgary, went to put it in here, turns out it's for a automatic 914. They had 33 of these starters in their system. Only 26 more than cars were built. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 29 2003, 06:42 PM
Post #11

that's what I do!

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Apr 29 2003, 10:48 AM)

Bought a starter from them in Calgary, went to put it in here, turns out it's for a automatic 914. They had 33 of these starters in their system. Only 26 more than cars were built. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Most likly it fits other VW's

The 914 starter is the exact same starter as the VW beetle semi-automatic trans starter.

Before I bought our 914, I thought I'd never get rid of this thing I have had sitting on my shelf for years.
Now that I have a teen, it's nice to know that 'thing' is a NOS 914 starter sitting there on the shelf. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

VW was famous for using anything and everything they already had in stock!
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Apr 29 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #12

King of Road Trips

It might fit other VW's, but what was wrong was their system had the standard starter listed as the one for the automatic and the automatic one listed as for a standard. I took the starter out of the car to show them it was the wrong part and he looked up the part # in the system. Programing error (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 30 2003, 05:11 AM
Post #13

that's what I do!

Back on topic

I fixed my problem with a Honda part! (rice-rice baby) LOL

My brother-in-law has a scraper in my back 40 (that he is taking to the wreckers, soon I hope) I ripped out a chunk of wind lace/door seal, U channel type stuff. I cut and slipped piece over the bolt down clamp, then I cut a longer piece for the hold down on the tray, now it fits nice and tight.

The added bonus is with the metal edges covered I know that the edges will not cut into my pricey new Optima.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 30 2003, 06:39 AM
Post #14

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i got mine yesterday. 99 plus sam's cut. sorry about the loony value. rear calipers were shot. "ah honey, i spent some money today". i'm not going to fight anything when i put the 73' together. f rotors to turn today. will prob just spring for cals too. i'm not tearing this thing apart and putting it together 3 times.

kevin
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 30 2003, 08:35 AM
Post #15

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Got a set of good front calipers if you want them Kevin. I still might have a set of low mileage slotted discs too.
Geoff
+Quote Post
Anton
post Apr 30 2003, 09:26 AM
Post #16

Royal Orange

Member No.: 473

Don't understand all the hassle about a non-fitting, expensive battery. Why buy it in the first place? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Alternatively: Varta (OEM) has a completely leak proof battery, the Silver Dynamic B14 (45AH), also with a handle for quick removal, and 30% more output under cold starting conditions than a standard battery. Fits like a glove on the tray. Mine works fine for 3 years in a row now (and it can be cold in The Netherlands). Costed 130 euro.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Apr 30 2003, 09:33 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Hey Anton,

The Optima is a sealed battery. You can even mount it upside down if you want, and it won't leak acid

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Anton
post Apr 30 2003, 09:42 AM
Post #18

Royal Orange

Member No.: 473

Correction: 130 Dutch Guilders, which is equivalent to 60 Euro or roughly 55 USD.

Jeroen, same is true for the Varta battery! It also doesn't boil over, etc., but is lots cheaper than the Optima!

Anton
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 30 2003, 10:18 AM
Post #19

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Anton @ Apr 30 2003, 07:42 AM)
Correction: 130 Dutch Guilders, which is equivalent to 60 Euro or roughly 55 USD.

Jeroen, same is true for the Varta battery! It also doesn't boil over, etc., but is lots cheaper than the Optima!

Anton

Doesn't boil over OR is it sealed? Can you mount it upside down?

The whole point is to stop acid and/or acid vapor from escaping and slowly eating away at the 914.

I can get a cheap battery for the 914 for $50 Canadian or about $35USD, they don't boil over but they do vent to the atmosphere.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 30 2003, 10:38 AM
Post #20

2270 club

Don't understand all the hassle about a non-fitting, expensive battery. Why buy it in the first place?

The Optima fits fine. It comes with tabs to adapt it to different battery trays.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:45 PM